Pandora Pandora Panic

foxblock said:
I am currently working on the instructions for every game, so if you have any preferences or text you would like to have in there or want to do it yourself, message me.
You can already see some finished in Arena, BadVista and BallDrop - I will also upload my progress every now and then.

@todd: Your update for BadVista is included, seems to work fine, more exact now (and seemingly no bugs)

Foxblock -- Thank you for reporting the bug to begin with, providing a minimal fix, and for verifying my tidying up. I'm grateful for your assistance in my amateur efforts!

Thank you, too, for working on instructions. I'm grateful and impressed by both you and Gruso (working on a manual -- you guys might want to share some text or screenshots!) for taking care of these last details which are often simply omitted. It's work that can be under-appreciated in its presence and overly-missed in its absence! Thank you both for adding these marks of dedication to quality.

--Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
User manual progress update: http://projectinfini...anic:usermanual

That's the "fun" bits pretty much done. I'll probably hate bits of it later on and polish it further. I still need to do the credits section, and the last section with all the fine print. I can take care of the credits, but I might need PokeParadox to contribute the legalese stuff.

If there are any errors, feel free to correct them on the wiki or just let me know here. A fancy PDF version is still in the works of course, I'll do that once all the text is finalised. :)

[edit] Forgot to ask - is there any music planned for Jumper? I think it needs a little chiptune loop or something. And I might have just the thing for it, if needed.

Gruso said:

That's the "fun" bits pretty much done. I'll probably hate bits of it later on and polish it further. I still need to do the credits section, and the last section with all the fine print. I can take care of the credits, but I might need PokeParadox to contribute the legalese stuff.

If there are any errors, feel free to correct them on the wiki or just let me know here. A fancy PDF version is still in the works of course, I'll do that once all the text is finalised. :)

[edit] Forgot to ask - is there any music planned for Jumper? I think it needs a little chiptune loop or something. And I might have just the thing for it, if needed.
Thanks again for your efforts with the manual, also thanks for using the wiki to plan it out... doubles as a nice online manual when finished and also allows some collab should anyone feel the need.

As for legalese... hmmm I guess the standard GPL licensing would be required Penjin is LGPL and PandoraPanic! itself is GPL but I'm no legal guru either...

Gruso said:

hello! Stil on my (crappy) mobile unfortunately.

Yes, jumper definately needs a tune. One of the things i did not get to yet. So please, go ahead! If you have the time, can you put the music online somewhere perhaps? I'd like to hear it ofcourse :)

I did manage to make some more levels, just looking for a way to get them online..

Cheers!

Excellent, we'll make it so. It's a sketchy little two bar loop composed on a Palm Tungsten running Microbe. :blush: I just have to get it off there with some semblance of sound quality. I've got a few crazy days in front of me, but I'll post a link here when I can.

Gruso said:
I adjusted my afternoon priorities.

Preview MP3 (looped 4 times): http://users.tpg.com...mper.4-loop.mp3

Single loop OGG: http://users.tpg.com...7/PP-Jumper.ogg

sounds good, it does not need more than that, thanks!
On the connection problems, i might have another mobile next week, and connect that to my pc. Allready have a bluetooth dongle. Hopefully that wil do the trick, and i will be online again. Also pandora ready as a nice side effect :)
cheers!

todd said:
Foxblock -- Thank you for reporting the bug to begin with, providing a minimal fix, and for verifying my tidying up. I'm grateful for your assistance in my amateur efforts!

Thank you, too, for working on instructions. I'm grateful and impressed by both you and Gruso (working on a manual -- you guys might want to share some text or screenshots!) for taking care of these last details which are often simply omitted. It's work that can be under-appreciated in its presence and overly-missed in its absence! Thank you both for adding these marks of dedication to quality.

--Todd
Hey, no problem, I am glad I could help :)

Also, all the instruction screens are done, yay! Next on: Fixing the remaining bugs, give me that insect spray :D

foxblock out

OMG, it is so close and i havent got the time to keep working on my game,

i was trying to make a ccoking mama spoof called "Makin' Panda".

when i get the base code ill post it, i just dont get how does the lvl function works, and if it is really going to be implemented for all the games.

meanwhile, i still get some weird acting on the spelling contest and the plander, if you accidentally stomp on too much keys on the intermision of spelling contest it gets blocked on the you lose animation.

on plander, if you just make it fly fully at once, sometimes it gains infinite momentum and keeps bouncing forever on the landing site.(no fuel to fix it).
hard to make it happen but it happened twice.

and for last, the pang one, sometimes gets pretty slow when you get too much balls on game.

Well well, everything is coming together quite nicely - we just removed a big memleak and it seems like the game is finally free of any :)

I have been working on an achievement system for Penjin for some time now and it's nearing completion. I designed it to be as open and free as possible, but there are always limitations.
So to test the concept I thought it is best to go ahead and ask for your ideas for achievements for PandoraPanic. That way I can see if they are possible with the current system or if I have to make any changes.
I can not guarantee it will make it into the first build (estimated for the Pandora's release), but it will definitely be included later on.

So please tell me your ideas for any kind of achievements (I won't give any limitations, just to see what people usually come up with).
My current ideas include the following:
  • Win 10/20/30 games in a row
  • Find special easter eggs (already included in some games)
  • Win memory blocks with at least 4 seconds time left
  • Play pong for at least 30 seconds
  • Win Arena in 10 or less seconds
foxblock out

foxblock said:
Well well, everything is coming together quite nicely - we just removed a big memleak and it seems like the game is finally free of any :)

I have been working on an achievement system for Penjin for some time now and it's nearing completion. I designed it to be as open and free as possible, but there are always limitations.
So to test the concept I thought it is best to go ahead and ask for your ideas for achievements for PandoraPanic. That way I can see if they are possible with the current system or if I have to make any changes.
I can not guarantee it will make it into the first build (estimated for the Pandora's release), but it will definitely be included later on.

So please tell me your ideas for any kind of achievements (I won't give any limitations, just to see what people usually come up with).
My current ideas include the following:
  • Win 10/20/30 games in a row
  • Find special easter eggs (already included in some games)
  • Win memory blocks with at least 4 seconds time left
  • Play pong for at least 30 seconds
  • Win Arena in 10 or less seconds
foxblock out
Teamwork pays off ;) foxblock found it I fixed it!

I think the achievements could a little something extra both to PandoraPanic! and to Penjin in general. I agree it would be nice if we can get it into first release but I reckon it's more for a later release.
I think difficulty balancing for minigames is a little more important but we have a bit more time to play with less need to look for memleaks...(since now there should be none)

Achievement ideas:
Reflex could be to match X amount of arrows(since it puts the next one as quickly as you match it)

and that's all I can come up with as now... :S

Sup Poke. A little suggestion/request: I'd like to put the file archive URL in the user manual, and it would be good if it pointed straight to PandoraPanic (as opposed to the home page of the archive). Could we (you) upload something as a placeholder, so we can get a URL?

Would a game in which the user performs a random street fighter combo, resulting in a winning move, be too boring for a game?
like... hadouken: down, down+forward, forward, A
also, would the use of street fighter sprites be illegal/not appropriate for this community game?

It would not be boring, but would require good on-screen instructions (animated control icons), and yes, using street fighter sprites would be illegal afaik.

How about a game where the user tries to fail at minesweeper within the time limit? I'm assuming touch screen isn't an option yet, (not like I would know how to implement it), so controls would be d-pad + a
(I'm just trying to think of games that would be simple enough for me to code...)
edit: on second thought, this would probably be too easy/based too much on random occurence

El Jefe said:
How about a game where the user tries to fail at minesweeper within the time limit? I'm assuming touch screen isn't an option yet, (not like I would know how to implement it), so controls would be d-pad + a
(I'm just trying to think of games that would be simple enough for me to code...)
edit: on second thought, this would probably be too easy/based too much on random occurence

Touchpad most certainly is an option, you handle it just like a mouse.

Gruso said:
Sup Poke. A little suggestion/request: I'd like to put the file archive URL in the user manual, and it would be good if it pointed straight to PandoraPanic (as opposed to the home page of the archive). Could we (you) upload something as a placeholder, so we can get a URL?
Hmmm ok.... I'll see what I can do. The "official" download location will be on the Project Infinity wiki page for PandoraPanic!
But I understand you want the direct link to the archive.
El Jefe said:
Would a game in which the user performs a random street fighter combo, resulting in a winning move, be too boring for a game?
like... hadouken: down, down+forward, forward, A
also, would the use of street fighter sprites be illegal/not appropriate for this community game?
The game idea is good. Would need clear prompts appearing a different speeds and more commands for higher difficulties.
Using other games IP is not an option for this game, we are trying to keep everything created my the community since there are many talented people here. And failing that it's not so bad if it were done in a comical stick man style.

El Jefe said:
Mouse TS is easy to use I've provided the following functions in Penjin - SimpleJoy
Code:
        /// TouchScreen - Just a wrapper to mouse
        Vector2di getTouch()const{return mouse;}
        int getTouchX()const{return mouse.x;}
        int getTouchY()const{return mouse.y;}
        bool isTouch()const{return leftClick;}
And you would use it like this:
Code:
StateMineSweep::userInput()
{
   input->update();   //   Update event queue
   Vector2di touchPos = input->getTouch();
   if(miseSweepBoxCollide(touchPos))
   {
      handleCollision(touchPos);
   }
}

Hasn't there been a freeze on any new games making it into this release? Just bug fixing?
If so, would it be useful for someone to set up another thread for Pandora Panic 2, Expansion pack or whatever it will be?
I'm thinking it would be nice for people to start to throw out some ideas for it, but not for it to be tacked on the end off here, which should now be concentrating on crossing the t's and dotting the i's......
And plus this thread is extra long now. haha Just a thought.

Back