Pandora Pandora Panic

Just wondering, has anyone successfully gotten this compiled on mac? any tips for compiling in xcode?
I was trying to compile in codeblocks for mac, but I'm not entirely comfortable in codeblocks, and I'd rather use Xcode. Also, the CodeBlocks file doesn't have a build target for mac, and when I tried to make my own, it seems like it won't allow for the mac .frameworks, which is what the SDL_image, ttf, mixer and so on, are
So I was going to try to reconstruct the project in Xcode... who knows
Is there a simpler way to compile this with terminal, like g++ something? Can I tell that to use the SDL_image frameworks?
Also, as the previous dude mentioned, a noob thread for the likes of me be, could be useful.

PokeParadox said:
Hmmm ok.... I'll see what I can do. The "official" download location will be on the Project Infinity wiki page for PandoraPanic!
But I understand you want the direct link to the archive.
oooh never mind then. :) As long as I've got a URL for the readme I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Na-Noo said:
Hasn't there been a freeze on any new games making it into this release? Just bug fixing?
If so, would it be useful for someone to set up another thread for Pandora Panic 2, Expansion pack or whatever it will be?
I'm thinking it would be nice for people to start to throw out some ideas for it, but not for it to be tacked on the end off here, which should now be concentrating on crossing the t's and dotting the i's......
And plus this thread is extra long now. haha Just a thought.
Yes we are feature frozen... but if you can make a game really quickly with no bugs... it doesn't take much to add it.
As for a new thread, I don't thik it's quite time yet.

El Jefe said:
Just wondering, has anyone successfully gotten this compiled on mac? any tips for compiling in xcode?
I was trying to compile in codeblocks for mac, but I'm not entirely comfortable in codeblocks, and I'd rather use Xcode. Also, the CodeBlocks file doesn't have a build target for mac, and when I tried to make my own, it seems like it won't allow for the mac .frameworks, which is what the SDL_image, ttf, mixer and so on, are
So I was going to try to reconstruct the project in Xcode... who knows
Is there a simpler way to compile this with terminal, like g++ something? Can I tell that to use the SDL_image frameworks?
Also, as the previous dude mentioned, a noob thread for the likes of me be, could be useful.
Ooooh Mac... I don't know anything that would help you there.
I did see something like -framework BLAHframework in a quick google. Not sure if that will help you with compiler options.

You can compile with g++ Code::Blocks is like a fancy GUI to interface with g++. You can setup the commandline options in the project file or compile everything manually in the terminal... or write a make file.
But I'm afraid I have no clue how to help you on mac. :S

This is the noob thread.

Mk, Im sorta getting somewhere in compiling this in xcode...
Heres the situation:
I've installed all the libraries: sdl, sdl image, ttf, gfx, mixer, and I think I've linked them to the project correctly
I imported all the files in the configuration: I took everything from the pandora panic source folder, and dumped it into the root folder of the xcode project. I then took all the files from the penjin source, and stuck them in same folder. In this way, I think any includes from the pandora panic source will reach the penjin engine, is this correct?
Nevertheless, on building, I get 2777 errors. which is less than what I originally had, when I just dumped everything in and compiled without linking libraries, which was like 12597 or something.
also, one of the things I changed was, when I started the xcode project, I copied the code from _main.cpp to the file that xcode is set up to build: main.c. Effectively, the only change is _main.cpp's name is changed to main.c, which I don't think would be a problem.
Arright, so I traced the first error from main.cpp, it couldn't make an engine object, So I went to engine.h, where it couldn't use STRINGUTILITY.h, and I think, in here is the very first error it runs into...
#include <sstream> //no such file or directory...
it got <string> but not sstream...
I made xcode generate a new project for c++, and I put #include <sstream> and it didn't run into any errors on building....
why would stringutility not be able to include it but my random blank project could?

El Jefe said:
Mk, Im sorta getting somewhere in compiling this in xcode...
Heres the situation:
I've installed all the libraries: sdl, sdl image, ttf, gfx, mixer, and I think I've linked them to the project correctly
I imported all the files in the configuration: I took everything from the pandora panic source folder, and dumped it into the root folder of the xcode project. I then took all the files from the penjin source, and stuck them in same folder. In this way, I think any includes from the pandora panic source will reach the penjin engine, is this correct?
Nevertheless, on building, I get 2777 errors. which is less than what I originally had, when I just dumped everything in and compiled without linking libraries, which was like 12597 or something.
also, one of the things I changed was, when I started the xcode project, I copied the code from _main.cpp to the file that xcode is set up to build: main.c. Effectively, the only change is _main.cpp's name is changed to main.c, which I don't think would be a problem.
Arright, so I traced the first error from main.cpp, it couldn't make an engine object, So I went to engine.h, where it couldn't use STRINGUTILITY.h, and I think, in here is the very first error it runs into...
#include <sstream> //no such file or directory...
it got <string> but not sstream...
I made xcode generate a new project for c++, and I put #include <sstream> and it didn't run into any errors on building....
why would stringutility not be able to include it but my random blank project could?

I've done some googling and I can't find anything which helps :/ ... strange... very strange.

GAH, with lots of help from a friend, I got really close to getting it compiled, but I ran afowl of 64/32 bit stuff. I compiled all the dependencies in 64 bit, but when I try to compile the program, it gives me an error after compiling all the individual files correctly. we are attributing this error to something issue with Snow Leopard. Imma recompile all the dependencies in 32 bit, and then try again tomorrow, who knows...

Well stuff like:

Code:
C:\Work\Projects\Pandora\PandoraPanic\StateTitle.cpp|119|error: 'class Menu' has no member named 'setSelection'|
C:\Work\Projects\Pandora\PandoraPanic\StateTitle.cpp||In member function `virtual void StateTitle::userInput()':|
C:\Work\Projects\Pandora\PandoraPanic\StateTitle.cpp|390|error: 'class Menu' has no member named 'getSelection'|
..\PenjinBase\Vector2di.h||In constructor `Vector2di::Vector2di(const T&, const T&) [with T = float]':|
..\PenjinBase\Vector2di.h|53|instantiated from here|

Or:

Code:
C:\Work\Projects\Pandora\PandoraPanic\StateTheCountJob.cpp|160|error: `isGreatest' is not a member of `NumberUtility'|

They aren't compile errors in my code, but it is what I get with latest code - not sure what I am doing wrong? I am updating code from:

Code:
https://pandorapanic.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
http://penjin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/PenjinBase

Steve

Rockthesmurf said:
Well stuff like:

Code:
C:\Work\Projects\Pandora\PandoraPanic\StateTitle.cpp|119|error: 'class Menu' has no member named 'setSelection'|
C:\Work\Projects\Pandora\PandoraPanic\StateTitle.cpp||In member function `virtual void StateTitle::userInput()':|
C:\Work\Projects\Pandora\PandoraPanic\StateTitle.cpp|390|error: 'class Menu' has no member named 'getSelection'|
..\PenjinBase\Vector2di.h||In constructor `Vector2di::Vector2di(const T&, const T&) [with T = float]':|

Or:

Code:
C:\Work\Projects\Pandora\PandoraPanic\StateTheCountJob.cpp|160|error: `isGreatest' is not a member of `NumberUtility'|

They aren't compile errors in my code, but it is what I get with latest code - not sure what I am doing wrong? I am updating code from:

Code:

Steve

Strange... seems as if there is just something wrong with something in the code itself... going to try and build the latest version myself and see what happens. also I assume you mean "http://penjin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk" as there is no "PenjinBase" subfolder anymore.

Dragons_Slayer said:
Rockthesmurf said:
Well stuff like:

Code:

Or:

Code:

Code:

Steve

Strange... seems as if there is just something wrong with something in the code itself... going to try and build the latest version myself and see what happens. also I assume you mean "http://penjin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk" as there is no "PenjinBase" subfolder anymore.

I think my PenjinBase is just in a bad state as it was pointing at the URL I linked to, I've just checked it out again with the new URL and it seems to be working...

Steve

Okay, as requested I have added 20 different levels, in some sort of increasing difficulty level. After that it repeats the same levels but with gravity/ball speed turned up (up more every 20 level iteration). It is far from being great, but at least there are a few different levels there now and some feeling of progression! I've also fixed a bug in the layer manager that made my clouds jump from time to time...

If anyone wanted to change the levels then please feel free to tinker in the code, the level layouts are located in:

Code:
bool PangGame::StartLevel( int levelNumber )

An example for level 13 would be:

Code:
else if ( levelNumber % 20 == 13 )
{
    m_pBallManager->Add( 100, 100, 3, Ball::kDirectionRight );
    m_pBallManager->Add( 125, 140, 3, Ball::kDirectionRight );
    m_pBallManager->Add( 150, 180, 3, Ball::kDirectionRight );
    m_pBallManager->Add( 175, 220, 3, Ball::kDirectionRight );
    m_pBallManager->Add( 200, 260, 3, Ball::kDirectionRight );

m_pBallManager->Add( 700, 100, 3, Ball::kDirectionLeft );
    m_pBallManager->Add( 675, 140, 3, Ball::kDirectionLeft );
    m_pBallManager->Add( 650, 180, 3, Ball::kDirectionLeft );
    m_pBallManager->Add( 625, 220, 3, Ball::kDirectionLeft );
    m_pBallManager->Add( 600, 260, 3, Ball::kDirectionLeft );
}

So just Add( XPosition, YPosition, BallSize, Direction ) - where 0,0 is at the top left, 0 is the biggest ball size, 4 is the smallest will get a ball added, the rest is taken care of.

Steve

Really great job, makes much more sense now (also is a bit easier, I had a hard time beating the 3rd level before...).
Still level 20 is a big break in difficulty as even with increased gravity it's much easier than lvl 19. Maybe start directly with an equivalent of lvl 10 there?
As this would practically reduce the different amount of levels one could add some even harder levels (after lvl 19), for example 2 big balls like it was before.

foxblock out

:( :unsure: :( <hanging my head in shame> I failed. :(
I finally realized that I most probably won't be able to contribute (and there's now feature freeze anyway). Apart from stuff that keeps getting in the way (my own disorganization foremost) the real neckbreaker is that I can't think of a levelling idea for my game, which basically was "push three buttons in given order fast enough to make it". Plus, it would actually lower the overall enjoyability of the release I guess because it so very much pales compared to the great work you people are doing here.

Thanks anyway for bearing with my stupid questions and giving me an opportunity to do some programming for a purpose.

cat said:
I finally realized that I most probably won't be able to contribute (and there's now feature freeze anyway). Apart from stuff that keeps getting in the way (my own disorganization foremost) the real neckbreaker is that I can't think of a levelling idea for my game, which basically was "push three buttons in given order fast enough to make it". Plus, it would actually lower the overall enjoyability of the release I guess because it so very much pales compared to the great work you people are doing here.

Thanks anyway for bearing with my stupid questions and giving me an opportunity to do some programming for a purpose.

Don't give up! Just because you may not make the release build that doesn't mean you shouldn't make your minigame. :)

PokeParadox said:
cat said:

Don't give up! Just because you may not make the release build that doesn't mean you should make your minigame. :)

very true. And levelling suggestions: More button, less time in higher levels, more difficult to reach buttons (we have a keyboard after all). Just thinking..

Some decent graphics help as well, if you can not make something, yourself just ask here once you have an idea of what you want. There might be an artist with some free time around.

Cheers!

* MarkoeZ on mobile *

* EDIT: And ofcourse a big thumbs up to Poke and the rest of the team for all the great work! :)

p.s my return should be soon now...

@cat - Just because you don't make the release doesn't mean your game can't become part of it.
Unless I'm wrong there'll either be a pandora panic 2 or maybe even say expansion pack of sorts, it could go in there.

Either way, finish it even just to say that you have.

Back