Pandora Pandora Panic

rand()%10 will give you the 0..9 number you need.

I will try to come up with a small game for this as well, whenever I'll have some free time :)

MarkoeZ said:
i warned you about noob questions :p

Another: I googled for sdl ways, went through the framework, looked into the mingw tutorials, but could not find this simple thing which was so easy in the basic days. I just have an integer, x, that i want to give a random value between 0 and 9... The only thing i could find was rand() which gives huge numbers as return.

Help plz. :unsure:
Also I provide a Random object that makes things easy (for some purposes)
just #include "Random.h"
CODE

Random rand;
random.setLimits(0,9);
int myRandomInt = random.nextInt();

It also has nextFloat and if you really want nextBool (head or tails!) :lol:
Don't worry about seeding the random numbers because I do this at program init.

@Alex: Great, given your record I expect it to be a good 'un! :) And yes free time is a pain to find sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
CODE

Random rand;
random.setLimits(0,9);
int myRandomInt = random.nextInt();
And still big numbers :( really don't know what i'm doing wrong here. both ways seem to keep having the same results

Edit: Wait, something weird is happening, i think it's something else...

Aahah, somehow code::blocks was working with a cached version of my files. Alex, your solution works perfect, thanks for the quick help!

Cheers!

Ok, update.

I have a basic working version now. It's a math game with time pressure. 5 rounds, and after each correct answer you get one second less for the next round. Unexpectedly there are some pretty touch ones that i kept because they are mathematically correct and throw you off guard. youll see :)

Since this is my first cpp project i basically built it inside the Space invaders state, slowly removing the original parts and ending up with almost 100 % changed code. I "borrowed" some of the input parts from the spelling contest as well ;).

But now i changed all filenames and functionnames from invaders to math and it no longer works inside my setup :rolleyes: . Pretty sure the files are correct though so i'll post them anyway.

This is the bare version, graphics need to be updated, some sounds will be added, and perhaps some variation in the calculations, but ill get to all of that next.

http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=39155

Edit: works again, and files are indeed correct

It's a math game with time pressure.
ah man. I was thinking about making a math game :glare: :p Well, I'll just have to come up with something else then :)

Gonna take a look at your game tomorrow and see how much better it is than my idea for a math game ;)

pstudio said:
It's a math game with time pressure.
ah man. I was thinking about making a math game :glare: :p Well, I'll just have to come up with something else then :)

Gonna take a look at your game tomorrow and see how much better it is than my idea for a math game ;)
oh, it's probably worse ;) but this is the first programming i did in... uhm... 16 years so it's just a test case actually. some weird programming and non efficient at times probably :p

I'm just back from work, a little inebriated too since it was a leaving party.

I've downloaded your code MarkoeZ and I'll get it included into the framework when I have time.

If you think Code::Blocks is "caching" your result, do a rebuild rather than a build.

Some mockups for the interface.
(I picture the stars in the background flying out from the centre like a particle emitter, not as part of a static background.)

Looks nice, could you make some with a purpleish background if its not too much trouble? (just curious)
a nice feature might be to change color of the main menu each boot

Kagato said:
Some mockups for the interface.
(I picture the stars in the background flying out from the centre like a particle emitter, not as part of a static background.)

Kagato, those mocks are awesome! The particle thing should be fairly straightforward too!

OK. Here is my submission, entitled "Bad Vista".

Screenshot:
badVistaGame.png

It's meant to be a bit spartan. The physics aren't quite as rock-solid as I would like, but seem to be behaving with the current settings. Please let me know if things don't seem right.

There are no sound effects. The framework's sounds still don't work on my system (x86, Gnu/Linux, Ubuntu 8.04). Occasionally I'll get the first half-second or so of some music (?) from the menu. But that's it. Also, I do not have any meaningful experience with audio creation/editing. But if anyone would be interested in providing some sounds, pm me & I'll be glad to share my (simple!) ideas with you. Then we can try to figure out what it would take to add them & test them.

Thanks again for providing the easy-peasy framework, PokeParadox.

--Todd

(edit: add screenshot)

my update: still could not find a good way to include background animation so i took some stills and added switched backgrounds per round to add to the paranoia (panic ; ) . Also some layout updates but i'm still not happy with those.

http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=PublicD...ry&u=100986

Edit: And many many thanks indeed to PokeParadox!! not only for the engine but also for the support in learning cpp at all in my case :) I'd advise any programmer new to cpp to try and build something for this engine. it's easy but gives a nice challenge as well.

Edit 2: final update for today, end game routines and some other updated stuff http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=PublicD...ry&u=100986

Kagato, those mockups kick ass. I can't wait to get home (I've been away for a few days) to get working on some little tunes. Not promising anything will be usable... :-D

just some things that bothered me...

i haven't found a pause mechanism. i think it's kind of necessary in this multitaskful world to have one lol. or at least a PRESS A TO CONTINUE sort of deal might be useful? how else am i going to browse digg, chat with friends, and eat fried chicken with ketchup while pandora panicking??

on a similar note, people (myself, really) are impatient and don't like to sit through transition screens. i think it would be nice if it was possible to press a button to skip them. don't know about anybody else, but i'm constantly mashing the A button on my DS -- even when nothing's happening and it's not responding to input, just to last myself until the actual gameplay comes up

planning to work on a rhythm-based minigame this coming weekend, hope it turns out well :)

and yeah, like everyone else, i think kagato's mockups are orgasmic

If all of the minigames are fairly short, every 5 "levels" it could wait for the user to press A before continuing. That would allow users to pause in the middle, but keep up the "Panic!". 5 might be too few, 7-10 might be better, but that's what testing's for, right?

todd said:
OK. Here is my submission, entitled "Bad Vista".

There are no sound effects. The framework's sounds still don't work on my system (x86, Gnu/Linux, Ubuntu 8.04). Occasionally I'll get the first half-second or so of some music (?) from the menu. But that's it. Also, I do not have any meaningful experience with audio creation/editing. But if anyone would be interested in providing some sounds, pm me & I'll be glad to share my (simple!) ideas with you. Then we can try to figure out what it would take to add them & test them.

Thanks again for providing the easy-peasy framework, PokeParadox.

I'll include it and update the framework soon!

Sorry to hear you still can't have working sound... I've honestly no idea what it could be as I use Ubuntu too... If anyone has any ideas then I'd like to hear them

You're most certainly welcome, I'm glad you are finding it easy!

MarkoeZ said:
my update: still could not find a good way to include background animation so i took some stills and added switched backgrounds per round to add to the paranoia (panic ; ) . Also some layout updates but i'm still not happy with those.

http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=39332

Edit: And many many thanks indeed to PokeParadox!! not only for the engine but also for the support in learning cpp at all in my case :) I'd advise any programmer new to cpp to try and build something for this engine. it's easy but gives a nice challenge as well.

Edit 2: final update for today, end game routines and some other updated stuff http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=39352

If you want to send the file that you want as an animation I'll see what I can do to turn it into something usable.

Again thanks for your contribution, I'll include it soon!

I'm actually pretty overwhelmed at the positive comments coming back regarding Penjin, so thanks to you guys! It's comments like this which, make it worthwhile and actually keep me coding even when work decided to increase my shifts O_O.

socket said:
Kagato, those mockups kick ass. I can't wait to get home (I've been away for a few days) to get working on some little tunes. Not promising anything will be usable... :-D
Any music would be gladly accepted! :)

oclbdk said:
i haven't found a pause mechanism. i think it's kind of necessary in this multitaskful world to have one lol. or at least a PRESS A TO CONTINUE sort of deal might be useful? how else am i going to browse digg, chat with friends, and eat fried chicken with ketchup while pandora panicking??

on a similar note, people (myself, really) are impatient and don't like to sit through transition screens. i think it would be nice if it was possible to press a button to skip them. don't know about anybody else, but i'm constantly mashing the A button on my DS -- even when nothing's happening and it's not responding to input, just to last myself until the actual gameplay comes up
planning to work on a rhythm-based minigame this coming weekend, hope it turns out well :)

About the pause... I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure about it yet... there are a few reasons:
  • The code for pausing the game and showing a pause menu would need to be put in every state.
  • It does remove some of the "Panic!"
  • I'm warming up to the idea of a "take a break" screen
  • Maybe we can have some of these things configurable?
  • It could be a button you hold and it will pause at the status screen?
I'll look into making the status screen skipable.

I loooove rhythm games :D So I also hope that turns out well.

Vorporeal said:
If all of the minigames are fairly short, every 5 "levels" it could wait for the user to press A before continuing. That would allow users to pause in the middle, but keep up the "Panic!". 5 might be too few, 7-10 might be better, but that's what testing's for, right?
Agreed on that... a lot of this will have to be tweaked before launch. It's hard to balance things when not all the games are finished and such.

On a similar note I'm interested in some suggestions of what needs doing engine-wise.
  • What are you annoyed with that you can't currently do?
  • What could use some improvement?
  • What is missing from PandoraPanic! ?
Any suggestions would be great, both for Penjin and PandoraPanic specificially. I must also say thanks again guys, because through using the framework, you've helped me find bugs and such, which have now been fixed. Keep the minigames coming :D

Brainstorming, feel free to implement any of these. I'll post again if I actually start work on any of them.

rhythm/platformer: typical rhythm game, but instead of the normal waveform coming at you, the "bar" is a platformer character (mario for example, but obviously you wouldn't use him for copyright etc...) that is running at a fixed rate, and the notes are various obstacles coming at your character. When you hit the appropriate button, the character does the action which avoids the corresponding obstacle. Probably need a marker ahead of the character that lets you know when to hit the button.

speed debugging: user is presented with a short (3 - 5 line) block of code with a few syntax errors in it, the goal is to rapidly spot and fix the errors. (why yes, I do think this would be fun, and yes I am a CS nerd :p )

tank game, possibly a maze (I just want to do a tank game that uses the analog sticks for independent tread control damnit :p )

skifree clone, character is skiing or snowboarding down a hill, avoiding trees, other skiiers etc... and trying to get to the finish within a time limit (NO YETI!)

shooting gallery (pretty self explanatory)

Graffiti-like "typing" game (is there a suitable glyph-based library available?)

ports of old-school Epyx x games (where x is [winter, summer, California, etc]) button-mashing goodness :D
in particular the surfing game from california games would probably work well

I vote for the ability to pause at any point in the game. Often I play on the bus, and when your stop comes up, you have to hop off quickly. For such an immensely portable device, assume people don't have the convenience to wait even for 30 seconds to get to a sane stopping point. You can always pause to a blank screen to prevent people from planning things while paused.

For the math game, I'm not sure how it'd work out, if it's time-based math solving...

Ideally the game would pause or suspend when you close the device as well, but I'm not sure if it'd be the game's job or the kernel's job for that one. Obviously that will have to wait until we have devices which close. :)

Back