Pandora Pandora Panic

I meant just using std::list as opposed to writing your own list functions. The specific contents were of no real consequence. I guess I'll update my post then.

Vorporeal said:
I meant just using std::list as opposed to writing your own list functions. The specific contents were of no real consequence. I guess I'll update my post then.
Oh, ok. That of course is the smart thing to do. Anyway, with anything about twice or more bigger than a pointer one should always put pointers in stl data structures to avoid needless copying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll rather stick to what I have now as it works this way and I understand it myself. Never used std::list before... By the way, the MonsterList also handles the collision of the monsters and the function for deleting monsters also spawn the effect,...

I'd suggest just taking a look at this site: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/list/

It lists the methods you can use with std::list, and gives examples for how to use each of them. Even if you don't switch Arena over to using it, it'll be good to know for the future.

Vorporeal said:
I'd suggest just taking a look at this site: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/list/

It lists the methods you can use with std::list, and gives examples for how to use each of them. Even if you don't switch Arena over to using it, it'll be good to know for the future.

Thanks for that. Looks interesting actually, quite handy for making an inventory for an RPG it seems. I'll keep this in mind when I start working on Multiventure :p

I updated Fire to the latest version if anyone wants to give it a go. Its done for the most part. Things left:
1. get smoke particles working
2. Finish/Replace Graphics
3. Add sounds/music

Im open to help with all 3, but mainly 2 and 3

Dragons_Slayer said:
Vorporeal said:

Thanks for that. Looks interesting actually, quite handy for making an inventory for an RPG it seems. I'll keep this in mind when I start working on Multiventure :p
And the fun doesn't end there. If you haven't checked STL (Standard Template Library) yet, you've been missing out. It contains ready templates for most common data structures and algorithms for handling them you'll need. It's not a be-all-end-all solution for everything, but definetly worth any c++ programmers time to learn.

There are also nice things like "smart pointers" to ease memory management, such as shared_ptr and the one I've mentioned before, auto_ptr. These are not a part of stl, but worth looking into. You don't need to use these with Arena, just a couple of pointers (pun intended) to ease any future projects.

Have fun!

STL is good to at least gain base familiarity with, but you should always choose yourself whether or not to use it. I myself tried STL for a while, and then gave up on it and returned to writing my own lists/arrays/queues/strings/trees/etc. in order to have more control over them (pull memory from pools instead of allocating each time, storing objects in multiple containers where some objects are owned by the container and some are not, etc.). Also I found STL to be a real pain to use when stepping through code in a debugger, since I couldn't easily manually expand lists and trees to debug what was being added to and removed from those containers. Also at one point various platforms and compilers had different levels of support for STL and different feature sets, but I think that has largely been sorted out in recent years. This came into play for me when I would try to use two different libraries, each of which used their own flavor of STL, and the namespaces and expected functionality would clash.

STL can speed development because you have some ready-made containers that in theory have been widely tested and debugged. It can sometimes slow debugging though, since they are a bit more difficult to trace than code you rolled yourself.

Cheers!

@Pickle
I can help you with graphics if you give me the details
If you want I'll make a sample or something to see if you like it first

Bagera said:
@Pickle
I can help you with graphics if you give me the details
If you want I'll make a sample or something to see if you like it first

Look in built/images/Fire. The biggest missing piece is the buildings. The idea is that is tile shows more and more fire damage. Think you can improve on that?

Aww damn, I also would like to do some graphics ;) , I also had this idea (posted before):
foxblock said:
[...], so if there is a need, I would be happy to create some (I want to get to do something different from coding the framework for the Wario game).
I already have an idea in mind: Making it look like it's a pencil-sketch drawn on paper and when the houses are burning it looks like burning / burnt paper.
Anyway, maybe I get around doing a quick sketch tomorrow, so you can tell me what you think about it and maybe decide for one...

StateArena is now a little closer to being fixed.
I found it was doing some things which indeed caused duplicate references to SDL_Surfaces contained within the Image class. I have (thanks to being reminded of it recently) disabled copy constructors and assignment for the Image class so now we can see where StateArena tries to do something which would cause problems.

I'm certain proposed fixes will work so Arena will still be in the PandoraPanic! release version! :)

Also the modified Image class is in the Penjin repo so please update! It might even highlight problems in your own minigames! ;)

Arena is fixed, no more crashes and no more memory leaks. Many thanks to PokeParadox for finding what was causing it. I will finish the game now, have the hero fall to the ground when he is hit before going to the lose screen, music has to be finished and some fixes have to be made to the animated sprites.

You can say I'm lazy or something but I can't seem to find svn access url anywhere... I don't feel like reading the whole thread...

It would be very helpful if you could post it here: http://projectinfinity.org.uk/doku.php/homebrew:games:pandorapanic

http://code.google.com/p/pandorapanic/
and for the base engine:
http://code.google.com/p/penjin/

but you are right it probably would be easier to link then on the "official" project page (as it also is linked in PokeParadox' sig)

http://code.google.com/p/pandorapanic/
and for the base engine:
http://code.google.com/p/penjin/
(this is not the svn address, visit them in your browser and click the "Source" tab to get the correct address)

but you are right it probably would be easier to link then on the "official" project page (as it also is linked in PokeParadox' sig)

(oh great a double post - sorry - could a mod please fix this? thanks)

Sorry I'm not deliberately trying to make things difficult! I'm just struggling to juggle time between working/girlfriend/coding/gaming the equation doesn't leave any time left to write wiki info. So it's very neglected currently. It is an open system so please feel free to register and try and improve info on there.

I have quickly added links to the google code checkout instructions for both Penjin and PandoraPanic! onto the PandoraPanic! wiki page.

Yes Penjin is my general game engine framework and PandoraPanic uses those classes.
You need to checkout both repos and place PenjinBase like this:
/Projects/PandoraPanic/
/Projects/PenjinBase/

Be careful in that you don't want to conflict the .svn version files of both repos. I workaround this by junction Links in XP(Careful!) and symlinks in Xubuntu...
Another alternative would to be have a checkout folder and then copy the latest Penjin files manually to be in the correct structure as above.
Anyway I hope I haven't confused you more... :)

Back