Pandora phone

I wouldn't not order a Pandora simply because it had a phone chip.

I wouldn't have ordered a Pandora because it was $400 more expensive due to the phone chip.

I wouldn't have ordered a Pandora if it had been designed around being a phone and therefore had a completely different build.

If a 3G data/voice chip were added with no changes to the case and a reasonable cost I wouldn't hesitate. The Pandora already has lots of things I don't need, what's one more?

^ with a bit of work it's possible..

Getting it to boot could be fairly simple.. modifying it to work well with a phone device sans keyboard could take a small bit of effort.. There may be some slight differences in hardware that could need a few work arounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
well if plug in a 3g modem you can at least send and read sms, that comes pretty close.

i also know hat a friend of mine was able to do voice calls over his 3g dongle, so i assume its just a matter of writing the tools.

For the Pandora 2 I would love a buildin (but removeable, optional) USB 3G module. Writing SMS on a Pandora or make phone calls via blue tooth head set, would make a normal mobile completly obsolet. Lots of people are using whats app anyway.

A PC headphone with a built in mic isn't sufficient?..can that be integrated with some software??

Last edited:
I'll wager the next Pandora will have a camera on the front, but either way you could, with the current Open Pandora and the right software* and a 3G/4G dongle or wifi hotspot, make phone calls.

*I don't own an OP. Don't trust me. But it can be done. All of the hardware could easily do it.

^ I'm pretty sure it won't have internal 3G/4G, it's an extra cost and it involves a lot of red tape to provide.

Camera I could care less about, if it has it great... I'll never use it.

Edit: also bring this MEME back to memory.

talking-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I'm pretty sure it won't have internal 3G/4G, it's an extra cost and it involves a lot of red tape to provide.
But maybe a small slot where you can plugin an usb / pci / somewhat 3g module. I would be happy with a 2g module too (which is cheaper since you don't have to pay so much license costs), 20 KB/s via EDGE is more then enough for email / jabber /facebook app / whats app / etc.

Back