Pandora Portrait Style

'pelrun' said:
'Hollenderster' said:
Using LCDs in a different orientation than the intended one results in eye strain sometimes because of polarisation issues.

Not a problem, at least as long as you do not know what to look for. The human eye can discern polarization states from a LCD, but normally the brain knows how to compensate this without you noticing anything.
That isn't the issue; it's the viewing angle. If the screen has a narrow viewing angle in one direction, then trying to view the screen with that direction horizontal will cause each eye to see something different.

+1, I don't like 90deg rotation games on DS because of that... it's difficult to find an angle that gives a good experience for both screens.. Hopefully the Pandora being one (small) screen should help with this problem (because on large screen it is a real problem as well... ever tried to look at a 17" TN panel LCD (cheap or not) in portrait ?..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but I've used both my DS lite and PSP to read text (ebook for PSP app makes text into a series of images) and I see absolutley no issues with turning them on their side. Specifically I find it better to turn because they're easier to hold with a single hand, especially in a crowded train.

N800 is fine on its side, too, as some games on it use portrait mode. Mind you, I do all my web browsing in 800-wide landscape mode, and the resolution works out great.

The N800 has incredible display viewing angle, if you can see the screen at all you can see it just fine. It'll be interesting to see how the Pandora fares.

'Tor' said:
The N800 has incredible display viewing angle, if you can see the screen at all you can see it just fine. It'll be interesting to see how the Pandora fares.
Since the Pandora uses the same fantasmazing screen as the Archos 605, I´m assuming we´ll be just fine.

'Karel Jansens' said:
'cools' said:
I use landscape mode on my PDA for ebook reading - rather than portrait. I find the longer lines easier to read.
The Pandora´s high-res screen makes portrait reading not only doable, but actually enjoyable. I presently use my Nokia N800 tablet as an ebook reader and with the right font (dejavu serif condensed) and the right size (19 or 20 p) you get a really good portrait reading experience. Of course, the more-than-200dpi resolution of the screen helps a lot.

That said, I am one of those who have the annoying habit of reading while eating, and at those times landscape reading comes in handy.

Interesting. My Clie is a 480x320 screen, and I use Verdana at 8px, with the kerning slightly down, and inverse text.

Most of my reading is done lying on my side in bed at night, and this setup is perfect. Much prefer sans-serif fonts for reading.

If the font's any smaller it becomes painful to read, and any larger I'm turning pages too quickly :)

Back