Pandora Pandora-psp

'JayFoxRox' said:
0x10000 + 0xE9E8 can't be 0xE9E8
0x00010000 + 0xFFFFE9E8 = 0x00010000 - 0x00001618 = 0x0000E9E8

I don`t see any error.

usually when you want to compute a constant address for a read/write access, we should proceed this way :
CODE

void emit_lwa(u32 rt, u32 rs, u32 address)
{
u32 hi = address>>16;
u32 lo = address&65535;
if (lo & 0x8000)
{
hi++;
lo = address - (hi<<16);
}
emit_lui(rs, hi);
emit_lw(rt, rs, lo);
}

we need the same computation for "LUI; ADDIU" :
ADDIU $v0, $t0, 0xE9E8
<=> $v0 = $t0 + 0xFFFFE9E8 (lo)
<=> $v0 = 0x00010000 (hi) - 0x00001618
<=> $v0 = 0x0000E9E8

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, what? Why are you sign-extending it with addiu? This is unsigned...so there's no need to sign-extend. In fact, sign extending an unsigned value is WRONG, not just unnecessary. If it were addi, I would agree, but this is addiu.

Or am I just being too tired?

'Archaemic' said:
Wait, what? Why are you sign-extending it with addiu? This is unsigned...so there's no need to sign-extend. In fact, sign extending an unsigned value is WRONG, not just unnecessary. If it were addi, I would agree, but this is addiu.

Or am I just being too tired?
I'll say you're a bit tired :).

ADDI is strictly identical to ADDIU except that ADDI raises an exception if overflow occurs.

SLTI ===> signed comparison with a *sign-extended* immediate
SLTIU ===> unsigned comparison with a *sign-extended* immediate

Memento:

Only immediates in logical operations like ANDI, ORI, XORI are zero-extended
All immediates in arithmetic operations are sign-extended.

...I actually never knew that. :blink: Thank you. And I thought I knew my MIPS inside and out. I don't know x86 at all and I don't know much ARM, so MIPS is the only assembly language I really know. Whoops. Quick Google search tells me you're right and I'm wrong.

No updates as expected because I was busy with my breakpoint stuff and I spent the last days with friends of mine.
However: I also decided to NOT take the beagleboard with me to bingen because:
- The case needs a bit soldering work to be done and I would loose time for my breakpoint entry (which is not even half done yet)
- I m worried that it breaks at the party as there will be alot of people
- I will be short on time at breakpoint too and I don't want to miss the whole party only because I m programming all day long (its a party after all).
and the final reason:
- I would have to take my 24" monitor with me (as its the only digital monitor I own) which just doesn't fit in my bag because I need the PC too

I will still take my PC and 19" monitor with me, but the emulator won't be ported at breakpoint - I will just work on relocation if I find a free minute (which I doub't).

No, this is were it belongs, this is for status updates etc. The technical information in here is not even aimed at developers - those guys probably know it already anyway, its for the users to give a deeper look into the projects, whats going on etc.
I returned on tuesday night, breakpoint was really great. I was programming all day long on friday and saturday but also talked to alot of great people, some might be able to help with the emulator and most were impressed when I told them about the pandora, some knew it already though. I guess pandora will get some nice demos once the second batch is out. I couldn't get my 96k game entry (which will also work on the pandora btw - new topic will follow) ready in time (Mainly because gcc fucked up at midnight before the deadline in an auto-update, so I stopped 6 hours before the deadline because there was too much work left once I fixed gcc) but I will work on it again once evoke is closer.
Today school started again which is kinda meh because it limits my free time a lot and it seems like a friend of mine passed away 2 weeks ago, I m not sure if its really been him though. Only progress on the emulator this week is that I got relocations working now but it still needs some work as most of the less important types are still not implemented.
I was also asked about the source code before and the project will be open source in the future I think. The source beeing opened will probably mean that users are allowed to read, but not to change it because filtering poor code will probably take longer than doing it myself. More on that will be decided in the near future to speed up development as soon as possible.
And another time: Please do not comment on my general talk and stick to the progress updates to avoid offtopic talk. I only tell you about my private stuff because some people expect me to work all week long - this is not true, I work once I have free time and once I m boored.

'JayFoxRox' said:
No, this is were it belongs, this is for status updates etc. The technical information in here is not even aimed at developers - those guys probably know it already anyway, its for the users to give a deeper look into the projects, whats going on etc.
I returned on tuesday night, breakpoint was really great. I was programming all day long on friday and saturday but also talked to alot of great people, some might be able to help with the emulator and most were impressed when I told them about the pandora, some knew it already though. I guess pandora will get some nice demos once the second batch is out. I couldn't get my 96k game entry (which will also work on the pandora btw - new topic will follow) ready in time (Mainly because gcc fucked up at midnight before the deadline in an auto-update, so I stopped 6 hours before the deadline because there was too much work left once I fixed gcc) but I will work on it again once evoke is closer.
Today school started again which is kinda meh because it limits my free time a lot and it seems like a friend of mine passed away 2 weeks ago, I m not sure if its really been him though. Only progress on the emulator this week is that I got relocations working now but it still needs some work as most of the less important types are still not implemented.
I was also asked about the source code before and the project will be open source in the future I think. The source beeing opened will probably mean that users are allowed to read, but not to change it because filtering poor code will probably take longer than doing it myself. More on that will be decided in the near future to speed up development as soon as possible.
And another time: Please do not comment on my general talk and stick to the progress updates to avoid offtopic talk. I only tell you about my private stuff because some people expect me to work all week long - this is not true, I work once I have free time and once I m boored.
thanks for the update, and good luck with school! hope you find some time to work on the emulator though :)
and you said some people already knew about the pandora? my whole familie and school doesnt know a thing about the pandora console! but maby you can find some guys who can help working on the emulator. once the commercial games start running you can expect getting donations and lots of people who want to help, thats for sure. But take your time ;)

For some commercial games, fps shouldn't matter. Turn based games and arcade ones.

Tozarian said:
For some commercial games, fps shouldn't matter. Turn based games and arcade ones.

Except if you want the music to sound right and not like a crackly mess (although HLE might make it sound the same regardless)

Wait, why wouldn't game speed matter in arcade games?

FPS matters in turn based games unless you like sitting around waiting.

Also, poor game speed affects input responsiveness. It gets pretty frustrating when you hit a key and have to wait a second for it to move.

I love your website. When I click on compatibility I get a "this page does not exist" error. LOL

Tozarian: This is an error generated by my selfmade CMS - and not a 404, it even says that the page is still under construction. I only completed the more important parts yet. I have a compatibility page layout done but so far I don't have enough working to give specific details on compatiblity. So: LOL

'borgqueenx' said:
you dont have enough? So that means there's already 1 game working? Or did i misunderstood you?
Dude. Chill. You're getting all up in his face about this emulator. He doesn't have any games done yet. Not having enough working could be on a much more basic level (and is on a much more basic level) than getting a commercial game to work.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I never really understood why the Pandora may not have the power to emulate a console which is far less powerful then the Pandora itself. I'm pretty sure alot of other people don't understand this because i noticed there is a massive thread about gamecube emulation. Anyway can someone please explain this to me?

Back