Pandora Questions And Answers

I've just stumbled on the openPandora project and have to say it looks fantastic, I want to know when I can get my hands on one of these? Considering I've missed the first batch, there isn't a whole lot of information to say when ordering for the second batch is due to kick off, so any info to indicate when that might be would be greatly appreciated.

I've just stumbled on the openPandora project and have to say it looks fantastic, I want to know when I can get my hands on one of these? Considering I've missed the first batch, there isn't a whole lot of information to say when ordering for the second batch is due to kick off, so any info to indicate when that might be would be greatly appreciated.
There are still first-batch devices available (or at least there were when I got a response from the sales department, 20 minutes ago ;))

As for the release date: I'm not sure what the current estimated date is and how reliable such an estimate would be. "2 months" is the oft-quoted figure :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am under the assumption that the charger for the Pandora will be for European electric sockets and us Americans will have to get an adapter. Is that true? Are there any planes for a US charger?

If you want you can e-mail them at openpandorasales@gmail.com and ask them if they have units available and other info. ;)

I am under the assumption that the charger for the Pandora will be for European electric sockets and us Americans will have to get an adapter. Is that true? Are there any plans for a US charger?
if you go look on the wiki, i believe it says that the charger will work on both. even if it doesn't work, craig says the psp charger should work too.

I am under the assumption that the charger for the Pandora will be for European electric sockets and us Americans will have to get an adapter. Is that true? Are there any planes for a US charger?
It's been said more times than I remember that the charger is a smart one, able to take both European and North American standards, all that needs to be different is the plug end, and that's actually really easy to do.

I don't live in England, but in Italy and so I would know if the electric plug for the pandora will be the English one or the Italian one.
For example:
13b04aaa72890789041a3cf42369d73b_small.jpg

this is the italian one

s_plug1.jpg

and this is the English one

so what of these two will be shipped with the pandora?

Thanks

I've been looking for an official quote myself about which it one it is.

From the FAQ: http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ
What about the power supply or power cable?
The Pandora is expected to come with a switching power supply with a standard cord socket which should function with 110V and 240V AC power. It is not known if there is a plan to supply localized power plug cables.

Craig has also stated that a PSP power supply will work fine with the Pandora [11].

Others have mentioned the possibility of a figure-8 connector to the power supply which means a standard localized AC to figure-8 cord would go from the wall to the power supply. But this is what I've been trying to find as a firm quote. Search engines (gp32x and google) both return a lot more noise than info when it comes to flame-infested boards.

hi everybody.
i ordered a pandora with all accessories, so TV out included. As my snes games are too old (i have to blow for 10 mins on cartridge to make it run) i will use my pandora pluged on TV. I used to use an usb PS2 pad adapter to connect PS2 pads to my computer when using emulator on fedora. I know usb pad will work with pandora but what about this PS2 adapter? will it recognize as simple USB pad?

If the adapter presents the controller as a standard USB Human Interface Device, there is no reason I'm aware of that it shouldn't work, as long as the emulator you wish to use it with suppports external controllers. (The fact that you used it with Fedora suggests to me that it will work, also.)

Just to be absolutely sure, though, would you mind specifying the brand of the adapter that you use?

Question bout dem lightpipes:
on the right are all in I/O types, but on the left is only power, and battery. If there are multiple spots for lights, does that mean the extra spots are used as an indicator for the battery charge?
ie. it appears there are 4 potential lights. One for power, and 3 for different levels of battery charge? if two colors are available it could go:
r = red g = green
ggg: 100%
ggr: 80%
gg: 60%
gr: 40%
g: 20%
r: 5%
DEAD
EDIT: if it wasn't clear, my question is, does it use these extra spots as some kind of charge meter? I realize its too late to change anything now, im just wondering.
EDIT 2: nvms, just looked at the boards, the final two spots will not have any LED's so those spots on the light pipe will be blank, oh well.

I wonder how much RAM memory does Pandora has available after boot up? Specifically, if an application runs from Pmenu how much RAM is available for it?

I'm looking forward to playing Wesnoth on Pandora, and sometimes it can gobble up to 250MB+ (with a lot of units around). I'm hoping it runs better than on the Iphone (it crashes at lot at the moment, on Iphone 3GS only ~150MB available after boot up).

EDIT: Sorry for slight necro, I got confused. I though I was posting on the sticky.

Given that Wesnoth was running on the GP2x with only 64 megs of ram, I suspect it's more of a iPhone problem than a memory problem. We've seen Wesnoth running on the Pandora, haven't we? Ah, here we go. It's in there somewhere.

Wesnoth starts with a low memory usage, but it tends to grow in game, a lot (depends on # of units i suppose).

I have no doubts it will work. I actually found about the Pandora from a thread on the Wesnoth forums pointing out that there was a working version already for Pandora. It's just that I don't want to have it crashing when there are a lots of units around.

If the kernel/needed background stuff has a small memory footprint then I need not worry too much about it.

Also, first time I see Wesnoth on the Pandora. Pretty neat scrolling with d-pad/nub (can't tell which) and together touch screen it's just perfect.

Because I can't find anything with Search, I'll just ask.

Does Pandora have rotatable screen? You know, when rotated, you can lay its screen flat over the keyboard. I'm searching something portable with touch-screen for ScummVM gaming. While Pandora would satisfy all my gaming/networking needs I simply can't imagine having that excessive part with the keyboard and dpads while playing beloved Scummvm. Wouldn't feel comfortable.
And if no, could that possibly be custom ordered or modded?

Other question that might be asked a lot, how's with the keyboard. Is it for thumb writing only? As an amateur writer I'm sticking to pen and paper, when scribbling quick notes of some random ideas, while in the cafeteria. Pandora might change that, but I'm not particularly fast when it comes to thumbing on gadgets :)
I stumbled upon some information that I can also plug in additional keyboard, and use that for my writing needs. Since I don't own a laptop this would also be a great asset for me.

ty for your help

Nope, the screen is not rotatable. Some people have discussed doing such a mod, but you'd have to be a modding god to pull it off.

The keypad is designed for thumb typing, yes. And you can of course use a USB or Bluetooth keyboard for normal typing.

Personally I think Pandora's QWERTY keyboard is ideal for Scummvm, I wouldn't want to play it tablet style. Then again, I'm a fan of the pre- point & click games where you had to type everything.

Back