Pandora: Really Out This Month?

chad78 said:
jbr said:
Am I overreacting, or is everything this cheap now?

You are not overreacting - everything is this cheap now. That's the way tech works. $600 this year, $400 by the end of the year, $250 by this time next year - $5 in 7 years. The reason being, someone would be willing to sell you their 5 year old gadget for $20 - so I have to give you a reason to buy my 7 year old gadget instead.

The best time to buy tech is usually about a year after it comes out - it will be much cheaper than it was on opening day, but still pretty up-to-date. There might be a newer model of two - but they will cost more. Plus it gives people time to work out the bugs. I bought my N800 about a month after the N810 came out - for less than half the price.

I'm using this formula when buying:

My old crt tv<<<<<<hd-ready, 600€ tv<<full-hd, over 1000€ tv.
My 6 years old computer speakers<<<<<<creative gigaworks t40 100€<<hifi speakers for 300€

Conclusion: I buy midrange products and compare my old stuff to new. I live in finland so prices may differ a lot to your country.

Last edited by a moderator:
magicman5421 said:
if production starts in August, does that mean that we'd get preorders in July? or early august?
I know I've said this a billion and a half times, but we should just do preorders now and get it out of the way. It'd certainly shut me up, knowing I had a Pandora secured! :lol:

Oh god no.
it would be like the ps3/wii/360 launches all over again.
Heres the upside- there will be a lot of used gp2xes on ebay.

magicman5421 said:
that is very true. although, it could lead to some arguing once people found out placement. ebay auctions anyone?
Meh, you'll get arguing either way. Now or later, there's still only 3,000 Pandoras. :p

And I actually liked the crazy launches of the PS3 and Wii. I was one of those crazy campers who pitched a tent 2 days before the thing came out! :lol: I just like the idea of doing preorders now because not only does it get things out of the way, but knowing that I've got one secured, I can comfortably sell the devices that the Pandora will be replacing; I've held onto stuff like my iPod Touch and OQO simply because I'm not sure if I'll have a Pandora at all, but the chump change I'd get from selling said devices would take a pretty penny off the Pandora's cost.

Yeah, if i remeber correctly the ps3 auctions actually got higher than 9001$.
thats...
over...
600$.

CronoTriggerfan said:
I've held onto stuff like my iPod Touch and OQO simply because I'm not sure if I'll have a Pandora at all, but the chump change I'd get from selling said devices would take a pretty penny off the Pandora's cost.
The OQO is chump change now? Last time I checked, it cost $2000 :-/

Yeah, the current USD course stinks because now you guys are the new canadians, and if it stays this way, sooner or later, nobody will get all the old jokes anymore.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Yeah, but Canadian prices are still inflated compared to ours. :D
Not to mention the lower furry population. B) :lol:

Kyosys said:
Yeah, the current USD course stinks because now you guys are the new canadians, and if it stays this way, sooner or later, nobody will get all the old jokes anymore.
I pay in EURO so I hope, the Pandora-pricing will not be something like 250 Euro in Germany and 250$ in USA...sadly, many Electronics out there are calculated this way. :(

it will be 250€ / 330$
but yeah, I agree. Europeans have to pay so much more these days...

CronoTriggerfan said:
magicman5421 said:
if production starts in August, does that mean that we'd get preorders in July? or early august?
I know I've said this a billion and a half times, but we should just do preorders now and get it out of the way. It'd certainly shut me up, knowing I had a Pandora secured! :lol:

Bumping up pre-orders JUST to quell the eagerness of impatient people is a bad idea. There's a reason why Craig & Co. are waiting to allow for pre-orders until they feel they have an utmost firm grasp of release and feel ready, and it is counter-productive to do pre-orders EARLIER when the product will now be released LATER (Craig was already thinking of waiting until the end of June for pre-orders; that was before this little delay, but now that it has happened you don't want to keep the pre-order at the same date, but want to have it 2 weeks EARLIER!?).

Please, somebody tell me I'm not the only one that finds it ridiculous to have pre-orders for a product earlier when it has been revealed that that product will be released later, all for the only reason because people are too anxious.

Yes.. its dumb to make preorders without a firm release date.

Other Question, can we pay in $? Even when we live in Europe? Then I can save some money, because I live in switzerland.

Edit: In Switzerland we don`t have the Euro (€)

My rationale is that by not setting a firm release date, no matter how far along the product may be, it still seems unstable. XGP, anyone? GamePark gave plenty of specs, completed unit videos, and even a general release date, but it all ended up tanking in the end. Nothing was ever set in stone. A solid preorder would do that.

And for all you Europeans, that's free-market economics for 'ya. The Euro, being worth more, will generate more income for product sales than the dollar. Thus, the cost of living adjustment is considerably higher in Europe. While currently worth more than the dollar, all trends show that like the Pound, Yen, etc., the Euro is a relatively unstable currency. That's why just about every European nation still does business and trades based on the value of the dollar. :wink: What it all leads to is that here in America, we can buy our goods and services at half the price users of the Euro can. Thus, America's on sale right now for you all, making the process nothing more than one big circle.

So, the reason why you want earlier pre-orders is because you feel the Pandora won't arrive and might end up being vaporware? I think that's the wrong rationale to have early pre-orders.

Back