Pandora Site Problem

I don't think he did- He said he didn't pay attention to the German board, and he later said he payed attention to both the English and German blogs. Nothing wrong with that. :)

EvilDragon said:
It's not a virtual server, it's fully dedicated server. Plesk is simply a software which allows easy setting up of eMail addresses, domains, server, etc.
Apache2 was running our of RAM. The server was receiving and sending 2k packets per second... I did use quite a few good server admins to set it up and check it today. With a max of 300 Spare Servers, 4GB RAM were full after a while (and swapping is a no-go) and with less it couldn't serve all users.

It looks like there were a lot more than 5000 users at once trying to get to the server.

And Joomla is a performance killer, as it looks like.

If you don't mind me asking, what traffic does the site do? (e.g., in hits, kbps?) Also, as an aside, have you optimised your mysql installation (assuming you're using mysql)? There are lots of things you can tune. If you get more RAM in the machine, you can really speed up the db. If you want to investigate this yourself, look up things like tuning the query cache, and if you're using innodb, the innodb buffer pool size. If you give me your my.cnf, I can take a look at it. Also, the output of the \s command at peakish load can give you a decent idea of DB traffic.

Plesk does suck, but it makes things easier to administer if you're not comfortable doing things the long winded way. If you have the box to yourself, there's nothing stopping you tuning the performance of the software on the machine as you don't have to play nicely with others :)

(edit: clean up mega-quote pyramid)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back