Pandora Information In French

FrdJck

Still Fresh
Website
www.quebecpandora.ca
Hi everyone!

I have been following the developpement of the Pandora since the end of April and I'm very eager to have one ( less than a month left before pre-order :)

I come from Quebec, Canada and there is not a lot of information about the Open Pandora project in French. So I decided to start one.

www.quebecpandora.ca

It's still just 2 pages for now, but I plan do add more sections later like game developement, Pandora hacking, best games/best application, tutorials, news, etc. all in French.

For now, I'm the only one working on the site. I'm planning to do that site as hobby in my free time, but nothing prevent the site to grow to a bigger level and add other people in.

Comment from the pandora dev. crew and the whole community would be very much appreciated. ( I can speak english and french ). If someone speak french and find some error or mistake, please tell me also ( you can write directly to webmaster@quebecpandora.ca )

I used 2 picture from the openpandora.org site ( the banner and the press image ) and I used the Pandora logo on my logo ( the quebec flag with the Pandora logo in the center ). I don't want to be accused of copyright infregement, so just tell me if this is not ok ( I did put a lot of reference to the ww.openpandora.org site ).

I don't know how the site will evolve, so I accept all kind of suggestions.

Merci beaucoup :)
-Frd Jck

Neat. :)

The two suggestions I have right now is to have the main image of the Pandora be of higher quality than 36kb compressed, and to make the font size a bit smaller.

Although making a separate website is great, it would also help if someone worked on the French Pandora wikipedia entry, which is a lot more spartan than its English counterpart:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

P.S. This image (which is nearly the latest, though it's missing the bluetooth indicator light on the left) has been released into the public domain, so use that if you're worried about copyright (though I really doubt that anyone will sue you).

We would like to link in all the Pandora pages from the main site, I know about openpandora.es too... Ed keeps openpandora.de, actually it might be a good idea to get people to translate the main site in to as many languages as possible this month. My brain cogs are starting to turn to marketing. Slowly.

why don't you just copy all the html and translate it there so it is more visually appealing :p

Get the code from Craig, so everybody can contribute by translating the original page to their languages... I like the idea!

Thanks Esn for the Pandora picture.

For the two wiki, I can translate the wikipedia article in French for sunday and for the pandorawiki, I can try to finish it for the end of next week if everything go well. ( depending if it takes time or not )

For the openpandora website, I don't plan to copy the whole english page for my site since I want it to be a fansite rather than the official site in french.

I don't care translating the openpandora website in french though if it is needed. I could also put it in a subdomain like officiel.quebecpandora.ca ( officiel mean official ) or another subdomain.

If I can be of any other help, just ask me.

As a fellow Quebecois (albeit one of the anglophone variety) this is awesome!

My suggestion, if you truly want to keep it a separate entity from the official site, is to try see what kind of info you can dig up regarding French language support. It would definitely give it a different spin.

Other than that, I think a visibly dominant FAQ, just to immediately answer people's questions about the device would be neat.

Great start though!

Thanks jellmoo for the suggestion. I will definitly put an FAQ in the main page. I will probably use a short version of the translated pandorawiki one. (after I do it)

Also, you said "see what kind of info you can dig up regarding French language support". I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

Thank you again.

What I meant was to see if you could find out any info about French language apps made for Pandora, French emulators, that sort of thing. There's a pretty strong open source movement in Quebec, so there might be some interesting stuff coming.

I mostly finish the traduction of the wikipedia article about the pandora in french.( http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console) )

I start to translate the main webpage of openpandora.org. I plan to concentrate on doing that for the week and start the traduction of the pandora wiki later next week.

I put the translated Questions & Answers section on my quebecpandora page under the FAQ section I added last week. I also added a video of the pandora.

I will post more update later

-FrdJck

Stupid ED, I would have loved to help out, but noooo

Maybe I should just buy a random obscure openpandora.TLD and make a fanpage on that

We don't necessarily need every language specific domain out there. It would be much cleaner to have a language option on the main site.

I'd also suggest trying to organise the localisation effort a bit rather than having it fragmented. There's some great tools out there for this. One such (although I've only used this for applications not websites) is Launchpad's translations tool. Could be worth setting up a project. I think it would definitely be worth setting this up for some of the key applications for the Pandora if people are willing to help translate things.

Thoughts?

Good work on the translations, everyone. You've inspired me to start a Russian article too:
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora
I basically just copied & pasted the intro from the Russian GP2X article, as it seems to fit.

Unfortunately, it's been quite a long time since I've been in Russia, so I don't know much of the Russian technical terminology for the specifications. I know there are a few other Russian-speakers on these forums. Would any of you be willing to help out? :) Oh, and if someone could translate the main "development" and "overview" sections, that would also be great... I never attended Russian school, so I'm pretty inexperienced at writing in Russian.

Bravo t'a eu une idée géniale. il est vraiment cool ton site web, moi je l'adore man :)
moi je viens de montreal. merci

( translation: congratulation, you have a great idea. your pandora web site is very cool, i like it.
im from montreal) thanks

Back