Pandora Pandora Snap/screw/? On Bay For Harddrive, Usb Accessories

CandidStan

I'm currently designing a snap on, or other method tray type item that will attach to the bottom/bottom sides of the Pandora. Under that will be an area where you can attach a laptop hard drive, and possibly an area where a small USB hub will be located, that will be as low profile as possible, and have an area covered with a panel and screws where you can store the Thumb drives or small card readers semi-permanently to use as a flash hard drive.

My dilema here is the Dimensions are not enough to allow me to design this effectively. If the devs would allow it, could I be given a CAD/Inventor file of the Pandora to use to assemble a Pandora model, and my base together?

-Thanks,
CandidStan

Hi,

Are you designing your own hub (i.e. laying out your own PCB etc.) - or are you planning on modifying a pre-existing hub?

Either way - I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts / exchanging information. I'm doing a six key keyboard + accelerometer and was thinking of adding a USB hub to (1) overcome the "low speed only" limitation and (2) to provide more usb ports.

I'd also be really interested in your case design thoughts. Perhaps we can collaborate?

Good luck with your project!

Hello all,

I just finished a rough drawing of the attachment, and I have some measurements that may or may not please some of you.

Without the attachment the pandora measures 0.562 inches
With the attachment, the whole device measures 1.53 inches

The attachment itself measures 0.93 inches alone, which is pretty hefty.

I'll see what I can do about slimming it down, there shouldn't be any reason for it to be this large.

I will post some concept images later.

CandidStan said:
Translate to European measures:
0.562 inches = ~14,3 mm
1.53 inches = ~38,9 mm
0.93 inches = ~23,6 mm

Hmm, it's quite thick, IMO. I think about something similiar. I like put USB HUB inside, with about 8 ports. Few ports use internally for tiny hdd or USB flash, accel.meter or so. I don't know if additional battery (another Pandora's accumulator) fit in too. I'll just wait for Pandora at first, then I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
peca said:
CandidStan said:
Translate to European measures:
0.562 inches = ~14,3 mm
1.53 inches = ~38,9 mm
0.93 inches = ~23,6 mm

Hmm, it's quite thick, IMO. I think about something similiar. I like put USB HUB inside, with about 8 ports. Few ports use internally for tiny hdd or USB flash, accel.meter or so. I don't know if additional battery (another Pandora's accumulator) fit in too. I'll just wait for Pandora at first, then I'll see what I can do.

Yes, I wish it wasn't so thick either. I really want to have as much storage as I could want in a handheld without sacrificing thickness.

I like your idea of a usb hub, but inside? I don't think there is enough room for that. I'm thinking of designing a hub that will accommodate several flash drives stripped of their cases, all about the same thickness. I will probably use about two 64 gb Corsair flash drives, and two sdhc card readers.

Hey! I was going to design my own mounting system! There aint enough room in this community for the two of us!

Joking aside, Craig previously said that the CAD files would be included with the Pandora, but I'm not sure that's still going to happen (no response from Craig).

Anyway, I was going to design my mounting rail system and sell mounting rails (to clip onto the Pandora and use on peripherals) and replacement bottom shell halves. Every time somebody orders one, I'll head to school with a chunk of plastic and machine another one on our CNC router. :)

I guess, that good way, how to mount bottom attachment to Pandora, is replace original screws by longer replacement or by screws with inner thread (which is better way). So attachment be screwed to the Pandora. But it is not so good for quick attach/detach this bottom-pack.

Edit: What i mean with screwing it to the screw with inner thread is on the next picture. Just look at screw, not to other picture part, as it is not real good concept:
pandora_extension.gif

atomicthumbs said:
Hey! I was going to design my own mounting system! There aint enough room in this community for the two of us!

Well, after the dust settles if either of you come up with a good mounting design count me in for some. At the moment I'm planning on using a space age mounting system. It's called VELCRO (if I remember right velcro was developed for the space mission along with pens that write right in zero g).

My bottom mounting keyboard (now there's an "opening" for some humor!) will also incorporate a hub. I'm just going to hack a mini-hub out of it's case and into mine. I'll use one of the ports for my keyboard/mouse/joystick/accelerometer thingy and then expose the other three for more USB goodness.

jdh2550 said:
atomicthumbs said:

Well, after the dust settles if either of you come up with a good mounting design count me in for some. At the moment I'm planning on using a space age mounting system. It's called VELCRO (if I remember right velcro was developed for the space mission along with pens that write right in zero g).

My bottom mounting keyboard (now there's an "opening" for some humor!) will also incorporate a hub. I'm just going to hack a mini-hub out of it's case and into mine. I'll use one of the ports for my keyboard/mouse/joystick/accelerometer thingy and then expose the other three for more USB goodness.

Velcro is for pansies, you want crazy glue. It can hold onto anything.

You can have it both ways: Attach the velcro to the Pandora with crazy glue.

atomicthumbs said:

Joking aside, Craig previously said that the CAD files would be included with the Pandora, but I'm not sure that's still going to happen (no response from Craig).

When did I say that? (I'm mostly just curious about how long ago I said it) Anyway we shall assume I did. It's possible that some kind of 'lite' cad file can be included but certainly not the original full 3D files as this would lead to cheap clone systems within months.

craigix said:
atomicthumbs said:
When did I say that? (I'm mostly just curious about how long ago I said it) Anyway we shall assume I did. It's possible that some kind of 'lite' cad file can be included but certainly not the original full 3D files as this would lead to cheap clone systems within months.

I remember some discus about this, but I remember that you (Craig) argued the same way as now (full 3D files allowing cheap copying) too. It is understandable.

But if You read this, can You confirm or decline, if some kind of mounting point can be expected? Something like molded thickness for drilling hole for screw or so? Or is too late to ask something like this?

edit: Craig's old post about fear from cheap Chinese clones.

craigix said:
atomicthumbs said:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=602140

Not quite what I thought I had remembered, but something along those lines :p

peca said:
edit: Craig's old post about fear from cheap Chinese clones.

I think that the "giving out the CAD files" in that post was about releasing them for mockups and 3D models before the Pandora's release.

atomicthumbs said:

Anyway, I was going to design my mounting rail system and sell mounting rails (to clip onto the Pandora and use on peripherals) and replacement bottom shell halves. Every time somebody orders one, I'll head to school with a chunk of plastic and machine another one on our CNC router. :)
I wish all the luck to you, as I probably will never be able to produce a single unit. So from what I'm hearing where will yours clip onto the Pandora? I can't really find a way myself, and if I try to come up with a clipping system, it comes out huge and looks like a 90's game boy magnification/speaker accessory.

design something that adds r, l triggers in the shape of a 360 controller, snap bay on bottom type and ill throw money at you

Maybe you could try something that slides into the stylus slot on one side and has a clip-type thing on the other to keep it from sliding out?

Dunno how feasible that is, as nobody really knows where the stylus resides (I know it's near the battery, but we don't really know details)...

craigix said:
It's possible that some kind of 'lite' cad file can be included but certainly not the original full 3D files as this would lead to cheap clone systems within months.

So much for "open" Pandora.

daffy said:
craigix said:
It's possible that some kind of 'lite' cad file can be included but certainly not the original full 3D files as this would lead to cheap clone systems within months.

So much for "open" Pandora.
77_apple_computers_freedesktopwallpaper_s.jpg

Anyone? :ph34r: :rolleyes: :p

Back