USB charger???

CPUnltd

I was going over another thread and it was noted that the Pandora draws too much power to be able to be powered/charged by USB... but that got me wondering if it's possible to make a charging cable that works similar to external hard drive USB cables where it offers multiple USB plugs. Is it possible/feasible to create a cable that uses 2 USB ports to charge directly to the DC power port on the Pandora? I'd really like to discuss this option, because this would open the door for Pandora to be chargeable/usable with current marketed "portable usb chargers" that have 2 ports and a battery designed to charge portable devices on the go... also, I have seen (and ordered) a solar powered 1500mAH external batter that charges devices via USB... Outside of making an accessory exclusive to Pandora for solar powering/charging, could this be a generally good idea to undertake (for anyone with the resources or ability to acquire the resources to make it happen)? This is a spur-of-the-moment concept that I have not thoroughly thought through and posted immediately after having to see if it would spark some other ideas or possible creation if this method of charging is plausible... Let's see where this train goes. :D

I think your best bet would be to go to a store like gamestop and buy one of those cables that can charge a PSP 1000 over USB, through the PSPs DC charger. I have one for my PSP and it should work since the Pandora can use a PSP charger.

if someone could confirm this (as I don't have my pandora just yet) it would be nice to know... then creating some Pandora-specific accessory would not be necessary...

My Pandora charges fine from USB...
Yep, it charges nicely from all of my PCs, the one laptop i have and my in-car USB charger (CLR plug). It is programmed to draw 600mA over USB (the USB device port), so its a bit out-of-spec but since most chargers are anyways rated at 1A, it shouldnt be a problem. Charging from an another pandora (or other mobile device if there is) propably wont work because they struggle to give 500mA.

i have managed to make my pandora reboot while on usb charging from my pc once, simply used more than the usb could provide and the battery was already low. But, as stated above, it was a rare case when i was using wifi, bit of overclock, and resource heavy stuff running. Really, in regular situations it's good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a solar powered Power Monkey that comes with a PSP adapter. I'm pretty sure this will work with the Pandora (well I hope so because I'm planning on using it :D )

Back