Usb-host Trouble

grgry

Still Fresh
Hi,

we know that this topic has been discussed a lot. Sorry for bringing this up again. It's a very tricky topic...

We are trying to get USB-Host working on the GP2X to get access with WLAN. We have connected a hub with a WLAN-Stick (D-Link DWL-G122). The GP2X is a MK1 version and we have built the USB filtering according to the scheme in the wiki. The hub is powered externally with 5V. We also connected video and audio which is working well.

Here comes our main problem : We can't get access to any connected USB devices (like USB-Stick storage, USB-WLAN or USB hard drive).

The command "dmesg" looks not too bad, but neither WLAN card nor the storages/devices are accessible. Our output of dmseg looks like....

################################
################WLAN Stick connected
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected
hub.c: standalone hub
hub.c: ganged power switching
hub.c: global over-current protection
hub.c: Port indicators are supported
hub.c: power on to power good time: 100ms
hub.c: hub controller current requirement: 100mA
hub.c: port removable status: RRRR
hub.c: local power source is good
hub.c: no over-current condition exists
hub.c: enabling power on all ports
usb.c: hub driver claimed interface c1245800
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 9
kusbd_policy: /sbin/hotplug add 9, ret=0x0
hub.c: port 1, portstatus 103, change 10, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: new USB device <NULL>-1.1, assigned address 10
usb.c: USB device not responding, giving up (error=-110)
hub.c: port 1, portstatus 103, change 12, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: new USB device <NULL>-1.1, assigned address 11
usb.c: USB device not responding, giving up (error=-110)

################USB Stick storage
// Somthing like above and than...
hub.c: port 4 of hub 14 not reset yet, waiting 10ms
hub.c: port 4, portstatus 103, change 10, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: new USB device <NULL>-1.4, assigned address 16
usb.c: kmalloc IF c1245700, numif 1
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb.c: USB device number 16 default language ID 0x409
Manufacturer:
Product: USB DISK 2.0
SerialNumber: 07791458027F
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 16
usb.c: usb-storage driver claimed interface c1245700
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 16
kusbd_policy: /sbin/hotplug add 16, ret=0x0
hub.c: port 1, portstatus 100, change 0, 12 Mb/s

We hope you can help us,
Thanx a lot,
Micha.

so finally we got this thing almost working after taking the usb-hub out of the equation (it seems as if the problem was caused by this).

but...the wifi-adapter is still not working.

it shows now under 'dmesg' as being registered. it also ist listed as rausb0 under "ifconfig -a".

So far so good, but "ifconfig rausb0 up" brings the system to a halt. Opening another telnet-console works and the last thing it says is that the driver claimed an interface and:

RT25usb Driver version 1.0.0

After that nothing happens :(

Any advice is still apreciated,

thanks!

P.S.: External storage devices working fine now, so I don't think it's wiring related.

Make sure you have the proper resistor/capacitor rig on the USB Host lines of the GP2X EXT port .. you don't mention if you're using the official breakout box or if you're making your own cable, but from my experience (about 3 years ago now) with the GP2X USB Host mode, getting USB-MIDI devices working, its very important to have the right resistor/capacitor inline on the Host lines .. check the wiki, this has been long since solved, but it sounds like you're running into one of the old problems with USB device enumeration being incorrectly configured on the GP2X because of the lack/improper components ..

hi torpor,

thanks for the hint, but the wiring and the capacitors etc are triple-checked with the wiki and other sites (yes, I build the cable myself).

after days of fiddling with this problem I finally stumbled upon the reason why it can't work:

the DWL-G122 stick is revision C1, which means it doesn't use the RT2570 module. instead it requires the RT73 module.

call me stupid, but i hadn't thought about changed modules in newer revisions.

anyway, sorry for the hassle. but if somebody has a working rt73.o for the 2.4.25 kernel on the gp2x i'd gladly take it - if such a thing exists, as others had problems with that:
simonb said:
]
Don't bother trying! The only RT73 driver that supports 2.4 kernels is the one that Ralink themselves released. Despite various bits of code saying #ifdef BIG_ENDIAN the driver contains lots of code that assumes a little endian machine and it would be a mammoth task to try to fix it.
it would still be appreciated, but i guess i have to buy a new stick and go from there.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back