Pandora Speaker Problems

konutubih

Still Fresh
Hi!

I'm having some issues with the internal speakers on my Pandora. At normal listening volume, they distort. This is especially apparent when listening to vocals (audiobooks or in-game voice acting). The distorsion is even worse if you listen to dance music for example and there are bright synth pads. They distort so it's almost unlistenable. When I touch the back of the display assembly, I can feel it vibrating a little. 

Is this normal for every Pandora or is it a sign that my speakers are faulty or that there is something loose inside the display assembly? 

How old is you Pandora or how long have you had it for?

It's about half a year old. I don't remember when I bought it exactly. 

I have never tried to crank the speakers to the max, I am very cautious about damaging them.

Still, there are some distorsion even at normal listening volume. 

It definitely sounds (no pun intended) like there's something wrong with your speakers, as I had not experienced any distortion even at max volume with mine.
Apologies, as I'm not sure what the exact problem is, or whether or not you have to open her up and have a looksy, so I'll have to pass this onto ED and the rest of the Pandora experts on here.

Well, it depends on what you call distorted.
The speakers aren't the best ones, especially not today when you compare them to ones found in smartphones.

Do they rattle a bit when you shake the top lid? Maybe the glue has come off a bit.

Well, it depends on what you call distorted.
The speakers aren't the best ones, especially not today when you compare them to ones found in smartphones.

Do they rattle a bit when you shake the top lid? Maybe the glue has come off a bit.

No, they don't seem to rattle. The assembly feels fairly solid, the screws on the front of the display assembly are all tight.

Can the speakers be faulty or is the distorsion due to the speaker quality? 

Well, if both of the speakers sound the same, it's unlikely they're faulty.
Only if one sounds fine and the other doesn't.

Well, if both of the speakers sound the same, it's unlikely they're faulty.
Only if one sounds fine and the other doesn't.

They are pretty equal in terms of quality, although the left speaker distorts slightly more (only noticeable sometimes). 

I think that I'd better take a look inside of the assembly to see that the speakers are properly situated. You mentioned that they were glued in, right?

EDIT: I opened the thing up and I noticed that the speakers were not properly glued into position, just like EvilDragon mentioned. I applied some new glue and left it to dry for a few minutes. After that, I reassembled the unit and it works fine now. No distorsion at all! Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back