Pandora Stress Test

Haha Tinnus, I've an awesome idea. You know how the 100 devs are getting test units? Ship 300 lucky users a Pandora Sandbag edition. Pop sand and a LCD ribbon cable into these and have em carry them around all day.

I sure as hell could have fun explaining carrying a paperweight around with me all over the place, flipping the lid open 30 times a day.

AireTamStorm said:
Haha Tinnus, I've an awesome idea. You know how the 100 devs are getting test units? Ship 300 lucky users a Pandora Sandbag edition. Pop sand and a LCD ribbon cable into these and have em carry them around all day.

I sure as hell could have fun explaining carrying a paperweight around with me all over the place, flipping the lid open 30 times a day.
Ha that would be awesome, I would gladly do that for the team :D

Last edited by a moderator:
the DS hinges breaking was a manufacturing defect that was corrected...

Yeah, I believe you...
My DS Lite

It wasn't the hinge that was the problem, it was the fact that it was held on by that tiny bit of plastic above the R button... which broke easily. Plus, the ratchet was only in the right hinge, placing an awful lot of stress upon one spot.

The question of weather or not to stress test a Pandora really doesn't matter. If your going to invest that much money into a COMPUTER, you won't drop it. That's the difference, you have to treat your Pandora like a 1,000 dollar laptop instead of a DS Lite. In other words don't slam it shut and don't stress the top half.

just a little fyi, I recommend using some sort of hand strap, and a good shock absorbing carrying case.

to be honest, I don't use it all that much, but I don't slam it shut with 50,000 tons of force like some people do. Put it this way, when I close it you can't hear that snap. and I don't ever push back on the top like some people do for some reason. As in they push it back farther then it was intended to go.

CandidStan said:
[...]I don't ever push back on the top like some people do for some reason. As in they push it back farther then it was intended to go.
Well, considering the top screen is a touchscreen and will probably be used by most people, the hinge bending back might be an issue with the Pandora, as far as the top half goes... But only if you like tapping on the screen like its a snare drum.

My DS Lite hidge broke. Nintendo fixed it for free, even though it was more than a year old. This was after I tried to get Best Buy to honor the extended waranty that I bought from them. They told me that it was my fault for breaking it. The thing literally broke *overnight* I played it one night set it down on a table in my room before I went to bed, when I woke up, it was broken. I lived alone at the time - no pets - no earthquakes - just a broken DS lite. It was still on the table. I have no idea how it happened.

But, anyway, Nintendo fixed it for free. And I have had no problems since.

Although I do use a NERF Armor for it.

My hinge broke and I got Windex behind the screen. I replaced the case and lost my power/sound switches, speakers, and use of the touchscreen in the process (I also had to replace the top screen due to a ribbon getting pinched). After putting it back together I blew fuse #2 and had to bypass it with solder. I don't think I'm very good with little electronics.

Anyways, as far as stress testing goes, if there are any problems they will probably be eliminated by the time the second batch comes around (although I doubt that there will be any issues, I'm sure Craig and co. will test extensively).

I would like to see a Pic of the inside of the whole Case. Are there supporting structure elements for more durability? Can improve the strenght of the Case without much more Material. I have something very effective in mind:

:)

does that really work, though? 'Cause if it does, why hasn't anyone used it yet? (anyone I know of, anyway)

fusion_power said:
I would like to see a Pic of the inside of the whole Case. Are there supporting structure elements for more durability? Can improve the strenght of the Case without much more Material. I have something very effective in mind:

:)

Kyosys said:
does that really work, though? 'Cause if it does, why hasn't anyone used it yet? (anyone I know of, anyway)
It should work. That's the same pattern that companies like Firetrap use to make jackets less prone to ripping :)

EDIT: I can't find any pictures on the website, but the struts are more flexible with being thinner and don't break as easily when twisted. I believe that someone has just designed a new building in either China or Japan that works on the same principles (but don't quote me on that ;) ).

Most companies want your stuff to break after a certain amount of time (so you'll buy another one), hence the reason for them not to use things like this :)

Kyosys said:
Maybe it is used but usualy inside of Plastic Cases so nobody will see it. My old TI30 (Texas Instruments YAY !!!) Pocket Calculator had a very durable Quadrilateral Structure inside the Case, flat, not very thick plastic but very effective. The Case is rock solid and I think with my Hexagon Idea, the Pandora Case would be even more solid. The nature show us this with the Beehive Honeycombs. :)

...übrigens, bist du auch im deutschen Forum angemeldet? ;)

fusion_power said:
Kyosys said:
Maybe it is used but usualy inside of Plastic Cases so nobody will see it. My old TI30 (Texas Instruments YAY !!!) Pocket Calculator had a very durable Quadrilateral Structure inside the Case, flat, not very thick plastic but very effective. The Case is rock solid and I think with my Hexagon Idea, the Pandora Case would be even more solid. The nature show us this with the Beehive Honeycombs. :)

...übrigens, bist du auch im deutschen Forum angemeldet? ;)

I have one of those old TI-30s. Does yours have the LED display? My dad gave me mine, he used it when he was in college.

Ja, bin ich. Ich poste dort allerdings nicht sehr viel, da dort nicht gerade die große Aktivität im Pandora bereich herrscht. (Mein nick ist "Kyo")

Well, I suppose it can't hurt.

jmetal88 said:
I have one of those old TI-30s. Does yours have the LED display? My dad gave me mine, he used it when he was in college.
I had a 1989 Model, exactly this:

http://www.datamath.org/Sci/Modern/TI-30_1989.htm

Because the Display was broken, I buyed a second one. So I could disassemble the other and look inside. Amazing thing for 1989! Only ONE Chip inside and one plastic foil (no PCB inside!) with the conductive lanes and one big rubber foil with the conductors for the buttons. This TI-30 had not even screws, the Case was snapped together just with many notches and you could open it with a little force and a screwdriver as lever. Nice and simple and like mentioned before, extremly durable! (yes, only the display is fragile if you slam a entire Schoolbag onto it ^_^ )

Kyosys said:
Ja, bin ich. Ich poste dort allerdings nicht sehr viel, da dort nicht gerade die große Aktivität im Pandora bereich herrscht. (Mein nick ist "Kyo")

Well, I suppose it can't hurt.
Ah, OK. :) Yo, im Vergleich hierzu ist da nicht viel los. Ändert sich hoffentlich mit erscheinen der Pandora.

Back