Release Pandora System Info

- You now only need to enter the root password when it is really needed: not for cpu frequency changes, wifi toggle, usb toggle. It's still needed for system bus frequency changes and wifi powersaving toggle though.
Is there a way to permanently grant root access at least for the powersaving-toggle? For me this is the most often used feature, and I always wish it would just work without the hassle.

For me evan a simple "root-password.txt" in the appdata folder would do fine. (Yeah, I know: security leak, someone might conquer the world using our Pandoras if he or she managed to get the root passwords that easy. I'm willing to take that risk :p )

Is there a way to permanently grant root access at least for the powersaving-toggle?
You could add a "nopasswd" line in some sudoers file for this. That should work with gksudo in addition to normal sudo. I do this on many of my machines; once a hacker pwns your user account they can get root easily anyway. But some people do considered it to be a security risk.

This line allows any sudo from your user to any other user including root, without typing a password:

yourusername ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
NOTE: if you mess up the sudo config your Pandora OS might stop working and need to be reflashed or fixed by a linux geek

You could put that line in a new file /etc/sudoers.d/nopasswd

You can call the file whatever you like in that folder.

You should make sure you set and know your root password, in case you break the sudo config,

and it's less dangerous to use "visudo" to edit those files.

I recommend to turn on ssh service and wifi on boot before messing with it, so you can ssh in if necessary to fix it.

Yeah all in all if you don't know about sudo it's probably better not to do this.

TLDR: you can get rid of ALL password prompts, but be careful and probably better don't!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to permanently grant root access at least for the powersaving-toggle? For me this is the most often used feature, and I always wish it would just work without the hassle.

For me evan a simple "root-password.txt" in the appdata folder would do fine. (Yeah, I know: security leak, someone might conquer the world using our Pandoras if he or she managed to get the root passwords that easy. I'm willing to take that risk :p )
If this is such a usefull function, wouldn't it be better to "extract" it from PSI and include somewhere more fitting, like the taskbar menu ?

EDIT: totally of topic, PSI has a nice ring to it > PSI Brussel: "you know the muscles from brussels, but now we put some brain into it"

PSI sounds nice indeed :)

I guess  it would be a good idea to put the wifi powersave toggle in a little script in /usr/pandora/scripts and give it a line in the sudo config file.

The sysbus speed change script also needs to be added to the sudo config file - and you probably want to add some sanity checks in that script too (lower and upper bound checks).

Here are some screenshots of the upcoming new version of PSI.

screenshot-cpu.png

screenshot-ram.png

screenshot-storage.png

screenshot-plot.png

Verry useful to see which program uses how much RAM.

That's going to be a really nice improvement.

Here are some screenshots of the upcoming new version of PSI.
Wow! Feels satisfying for me as an interaction designer to see that so many suggestion were considered and implemented! And your are doing this FLOSS! Thanks man!

My particular joy: From the plotting screenshot I see that the comment feature has been implemented! Nice! That way you can now easily visualize cause & effect!

Concerning Fancy abbreviations or nicknames for "Pandora System Info":

"PSI" is not such a good abbreviation, feels very technical and delivers no meaning, whereas "sysinfo" is also quite short and speaks much more for itself!

And typing "sysinfo" is about as speedy as typing "PSI", because as an extra to typing the 3 letters you need to hold SHIFT or press caps-lock twice to achieve the three capital letters, anyhow.

Verry useful to see which program uses how many RAM.

+1

Regarding abbrevations: PSI makes me think of the "Psi Corps" (Babylon 5) :wacko:

Kind of fitting, since it shows you how your Pandora "feels", but still an unpleasant thought :p

Actually you can already get that information (and much more) with commands like top and ps. But I guess it's nice to have it all in a simple graphical interface. I also like a bit of visualization to make it easier to compare the relative sizes.

PSI is a nice abbreviation to use in this thread - given the thread title it is clear enough what it means. Anywhere else I call it "Pandora System Info", "System Info" or "sysinfo",

I'm thinking that Pandora System Info is better than most if not all PC/Linux system info programs.  Might be a fun port for someone :)

Thanks, sswam :)

It's probably not fun to port, the coding style is very sloppy. Originally this was just a little battery gauge, but it has grown and now the code is one ugly mess. It needs some serious refactoring - e.g. the 800x480 resolution is way too hard-coded in it.

Anyway, version 0.8 is on the repo!

+1

Regarding abbrevations: PSI makes me think of the "Psi Corps" (Babylon 5) :wacko:

Kind of fitting, since it shows you how your Pandora "feels", but still an unpleasant thought :p
It makes me think of pressure...

Looks even better now, nice tool. :) And suddenly pretty revealing, the RAM usage tells me that small stuff like "mixer", "brightnes", "configbutton" already eats up 8MB RAM each, weird.

I also will try the plot function, never did before. Because my battery doesn't charge very well and charging stops around 80% and I usualy have to re plug the charger to get over 80%.

Can I run the plot function for hours or does this fill up my SD/NAND/whatever?

+1

It makes me think of pressure...
Well the Psi Corps put pressure on the unregistered telepaths....

Back