Pandora.. the BBS simulator/environment?

Someone get an AWS account, setup synchronet and dosemu, and get this party started!

I actually revived the fido system in my online bbs a few years back; used ftp to deliver the content. No one used my board much of course, but it was 'amusing' to read echo groups and junk, but its all just retro goofs like me watching for the sake of watching :p

So I turned it down again.. it cost a few bucks to run, for some reason.

Anyway, yeah, Fidonet is still around, greatly reduced.

jeff

Wiz Stan.. you can telnet into my exceeding lame board right now :p telnet to bbs.skeleton.org and login with 'bbs' and 'bbs', if I recall right :p

Funnily enough,  I actually preferred the BBS style messaging system to anything I've seen since on the internet,  so I'd really like to see that revived, but I can't see how it would be done on a useful scale...

- Neelix

Instead making real BBS env [which is pointless], build boards.openpandora.org parser and on top of that build terminal application that will behave like quasi-bbs but will be operated on boards.openpandora + on repo. Of course all in terminal with ansi / ascii graphics and so on..

Well, the boards support Tapatalk, so that API could be used for such app, as it mostly uses text ;)

My username is still a remnant of when I had to first think of one for the local BBS I joined (in Germany we called it "Mailbox" though).

I think it actually ran on an Amiga, and most people there were Amiga-freaks, even though at the time Amiga was already dying. So yeah, I was a bit late to the party (90ies, not 80ies) and started out with a 14,000 Modem I think ... it was a great little community though, all users even met several times for a real barbecue, laughed about jokes like "wou wou wou wiff wiff wiff BANG ... no terrier" and thought about contests like "how long can you keep a connection to a modem going by whisteling into the telephone". And there was a Star Trek TNG RPG section, which didn't work out too well though (not sure if there was anyone responsible for a storyline, and probably that's why it failed).

I can't even remember the name of the software I used to dial in or download the messages and read them offline. So I'd need a help system for sure! If all it takes is my Pandora and wifi I'll probably check it out (also love the idea of emulating the modem-sounds!). I expect it to be rather different than what I remember and liked in the old BBS, but I bet it will be fun to join such a small sub-community.

*sigh* Reminds me I still have my full QuickBBS ST installation on a couple of scsi disks (which I shut down in 2000 because one of the Y2K problems was that the QuickBBS ST key got invalidated). Didn't test the disks for ages, guess they are dead by now.
Oops... Sorry about that ;-)

Jon (QuickBBS/ST author)

Back