Pandora TV-Out - YUV or RCA Cables ?

Einherjar

Still Fresh
Hello everyone :)

It feels like i havent been here in ages... And what do i see first ? The Pandora gets a successor :D  

Is it still worth it to upgrade my beloved Box to a 1GHZ unit ? 

Bot onto my main Question: My TV-Out cable finally arrived. I hooked the system up to two TVs and....got a Black and White picture on both of them... And before anyone asks, yes, i tried both, NTSC and PAL (composite) settings, on the settings screen and through the task bar option. 

The problem is, im not really sure what cables i should use. Ive read both, using a 5 headed YUV cable (3x video: Red, Blue, Green. 2x audio: Red, White) and using a 3 headed RCA cable (1x video: Yellow. 2x audio: Red, White)

I bought a new YUV cable (only the 3 video connectors) and had a spare audio cable (2 connectors). First problem: The colors an the TV-Out cable do not match up. Using an RCA cable would leave two connectors unused (Black, Blue) which confused me quite a bit :p . As you might guess, im a total newb when it comes to stuff like that :D  

I hope that someone can help me with this :) Thanks in advance.

Oh, also, regarding the Pyra: Like i said, i havent been here in a long time. Any news on its arrival, or is it all still in the shadows ?

Hello everyone :)

The problem is, im not really sure what cables i should use. Ive read both, using a 5 headed YUV cable (3x video: Red, Blue, Green. 2x audio: Red, White) and using a 3 headed RCA cable (1x video: Yellow. 2x audio: Red, White)

I bought a new YUV cable (only the 3 video connectors) and had a spare audio cable (2 connectors). First problem: The colors an the TV-Out cable do not match up. Using an RCA cable would leave two connectors unused (Black, Blue) which confused me quite a bit :p . As you might guess, im a total newb when it comes to stuff like that :D  
There's only composite (Yellow rca plug) or S-Video, no YUV/RGB.

The Pandora's TV out cable phono connections for composite are - Yellow for Video, Red - audio R, White - audio L.

The black & blue are audio in lines, not needed.

When connecting, check your Pandora's TV-out settings, to see if you have the matching output selected (RCA connectors - Composite out, S-Video - S-Video out).

Thanks for the replys :) Regarding the Pyra, i guess im going to upgrade my pandora in the near future after all ;)

@Asmos: I found a spare RCA cable lying around and used that to connect it. It worked prefectly. Kinda makes me wonder though, why tha TV-Out cable has two sets of audio connections ?

Since it only supports RCA connections, would an S-Video cable give me a better picture ? I never had any device that used that kind of connection, so i have no clue if it is any better than a regular RCA signal.

Also, a bad cable can lead to black and white.

For instance, with three different s-video cables, i had:

black and white

color + distorted image

good image

--EDIT, yes, s-video is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replys :) Regarding the Pyra, i guess im going to upgrade my pandora in the near future after all ;)

@Asmos: I found a spare RCA cable lying around and used that to connect it. It worked prefectly. Kinda makes me wonder though, why tha TV-Out cable has two sets of audio connections ?

Since it only supports RCA connections, would an S-Video cable give me a better picture ? I never had any device that used that kind of connection, so i have no clue if it is any better than a regular RCA signal.
S-Video does give a slightly better image quality.. Also the other set of audio connectors (Blue/Black) are audio inputs not extra outputs.

Back