Pandora Vs Laptop

Sea

Still Fresh
I've been watching the development of the Pandora for quite a few months, hoping that it would in fact materialize and be the device we've all been waiting for. I've been sitting excited, barely able to contain my delight of owning one of these.

But,

Now I'm not so sure. The purpose for me to buy a Pandora was because it would replace any need of a laptop, it does anything I would possibly want out of a laptop (internet, listening to music, playing games) and more. Any issue I would've had with it (small keyboard, low memory etc) could be remedied with a cheap USB hub, two SD cards, and some spare electronics around the house. But now I'm not sure if I should purchase the Pandora or just get a cheap laptop.

So how does the Pandora stack up vs purchasing a laptop? What are the relative cons (I already know most of the Pros)?

Thanks for any help that can/will be given, and whether or not I buy a Pandora, the device and community have proven to both be extraordinary.

Sea said:
I've been watching the development of the Pandora for quite a few months, hoping that it would in fact materialize and be the device we've all been waiting for. I've been sitting excited, barely able to contain my delight of owning one of these.

But,

Now I'm not so sure. The purpose for me to buy a Pandora was because it would replace any need of a laptop, it does anything I would possibly want out of a laptop (internet, listening to music, playing games) and more. Any issue I would've had with it (small keyboard, low memory etc) could be remedied with a cheap USB hub, two SD cards, and some spare electronics around the house. But now I'm not sure if I should purchase the Pandora or just get a cheap laptop.

So how does the Pandora stack up vs purchasing a laptop? What are the relative cons (I already know most of the Pros)?

Thanks for any help that can/will be given, and whether or not I buy a Pandora, the device and community have proven to both be extraordinary.
It depends on your needs. The Pandora isn't exactly meant for compiling huge files, movie rendering and such. However general computer use should be covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am not one of the forum search masters but ive seen at least 3 topics asking the same question, if you check for laptop and EEE topics you should get your question answered

mainly it comes down to portability and gaming controls.

A laptop is at least 4x the size and has 1/4th the battery life.

The screen res is a con when comparing to a laptop, as is external display connectivity.

There have been other threads, but as you asked nicely:

Think of a device the same sort of size as a DS or PSP (with keyboard). Now imagine what you want to use the laptop for, and imagine if the screen is big enough.

The counter to that, is imagine how you are going to take a laptop with you everywhere. If you are into games, your laptop will need a USB controller too.

Pandora will not support Windows or Wine, so if you need either of those you'll need a laptop.

Personally, I want a Pandora for the portability, along with all the cool things that it will do thanks to this community. But I can't imagine it being my only computer.

krooked said:
mainly it comes down to portability and gaming controls.
That's what it comes down to IMHO. If you don't want either of those features, you'd probably be better off getting a laptop as long as it was the same price.

If you want either of those things, then there's no contest. You cannot fit a laptop in your pocket.

I'd just like to mention that I've been running Linux in a virtual environment with 256 MB of RAM for several weeks and it's worked great for most tasks. My processor is a lot beefier than the Pandora's, but the RAM would be its main limitation.

GunPei2X said:
hch: how much will that cost?
probably $2000 :blink:
seriously, i don't know but certainly way more than the pandora.

I don't think it will be that much. It's just an ordinary MID in a better form factor.

mali said:
My guess is 2.5 to 3 times the price of Pandora ;)
Another netbook shrunk down with the same intel atom as all the others, being £500-£600. NO WAY

:rolleyes:

I realise there are several topics like this, but I never replied before so I thought I might as wel give my point of view on this now.

You really can't compare a Pandora and a Laptop.
It's like comparing a motorcycle and a car : both have wheels and an engine and both can take you to where you want to go ...
I have both, using the motorcycle (when the weather ain't too bad) to go to places with lots of traffic cause it will take me there faster. But I won't be able to take lots of stuff with me.
You get the point ?

So, you got to ask yourself the question : what will I use my Pandora/Laptop for ?

I will use it for office-tasks, mail, browsing the web, games ... and I gave it some thought before I ordered one.
Will it replace my Desktop or Laptop ? Don't think so.
Then why the hell did I order one ?

When I'm on the road I want to have access to some files, databases, pictures ... and want to be able to change/manipulate them easily. But I don't really need a full laptop cause I don't have to do a lot of typing.
Also, I want to take it all with me on a device small enough to fit in my pocket. The Pandora will fit.
I've tried a few devices before :
- Windows mobile based phones and pocketpcs : the apps are too much simplified, I can't do the things I want to do with them.
- OQO : high specs but low quality : gets really hot while using and has a very poor battery.
- Fujitsu U810 : beautiful device but it's too big to be a handheld and too small to be a laptop. It didn't fit in my pocket
- Zaurus C3100 : the best so far. It does all I want, but the Pandora will do it faster. The only thing it lacks is a connection to exchange. I can make the connection through evolution, but the zaurus can't handle it very well due to low memory and clockspeed.

Using a zaurus for notes during a meeting doesn't disturb the meeting, using a laptop or a U810 does (I know cause I did it). Maybe in a few years the laptop won't bother any longer, but for now I think a Pandora is a better choice. (some might disagree here, but I'm almost 41 so I live in a totally different world than most people over here ...)

I still use my laptop for presentations or when I have to do lots of typing, but on the road I use my Zaurus. I hope the Pandora can replace/upgrade my Zaurus.
BTW : I also use the Zaurus when I'm sitting in the living room and want to check my mails or take a quick look at these boards. I find it more comfortable to have the Zaurus with me than a laptop for such stuff.

When it comes to gaming wherever you are, the Pandora will sure be a lot better than a laptop.

Just my view on things,
Chero.

All people I know owning a 7" eee PC are complaining about the size of the keyboard. Apparently, it is good enough to use a web browser, but writing emails, or even chatting is painful.

The Pandora keyboard is much smaller than the 7" eee PC keyboard. My guess is that it will be only usable with thumbs (while holding the Pandora), just like gaming controls.

That is a point you have to consider if you think about choosing between a Pandora and a laptop.

hal9000 said:
All people I know owning a 7" eee PC are complaining about the size of the keyboard. Apparently, it is good enough to use a web browser, but writing emails, or even chatting is painful.

The Pandora keyboard is much smaller than the 7" eee PC keyboard. My guess is that it will be only usable with thumbs (while holding the Pandora), just like gaming controls.

That is a point you have to consider if you think about choosing between a Pandora and a laptop.
The keyboard of the pandora will be usable with thumbs, the keyboard of the eee is too small to type with all fingers and too big to use as a thumb-board...

hal9000 said:

You'd be surprised by just how fast and much you can thumb text. You start to lose accuracy after a while, but it can be pretty efficient in my experience - all dependant on the buttons of course.

hal9000 said:

+1

This guy is bang on!

Back