Pandora or laptop?

the problem is not about preference when you consider work, it's not even related to the OS qualities... as much as linux is great, most company targets the 70% of windows computer rather than the 2% of linux computer, thus most professional developer programs for windows and have enough money to use fancy IDE. for that purpose developing directly on windows using whatever visual studio is one of the better option...
Luckily, this isn't always the case.

I personally have the blessing of working for a company that develops Linux based server software. After 3x years, now I feel as awkward when in front of a Windows machine as I once felt when on a Linux machine.

A fancy IDE can easily be replaced by a powerful editor (ie. Vim, EMACS), a debugger (ie. GDB) and a build system (ie. Autotools, CMake, etc). All of which work wonderfully from the text console. Who needs fancy graphical UIs? ;)

In fact, using the text console so extensively means that I can SSH from home into my Work PC, reattach to the GNU Screen session and continue working remotely (with little/no lag). I guess I could also transfer things over, but it's kinda cool to work remotely like that. :p And when I finally get it, I'll be able to do the same from the Pandora. :D

I can only agree, but you don't represent the majority of the developers...

So ... If you want awesome powarful Powar for your device go buy yourself a laptop . If you want a touch screen , gaming controls , awesome audio , a comunity where you can talk ( ok type ) , to the people who created the device , and the total freedom of well ... Linux ( well you COULD buy a Linux laptop ... ) then go with a pandora .

So my birthday/Christmas is coming up, and I am going to ask for my parents to help pay for either a pandora or a laptop and I can't decide which to get...

We already had a desktop Mac, but it is getting old, and I will be getting a laptop when I graduate high school in a few years. I am not much of a PC gamer, I play minecraft and Garry's mod, otherwise I have an Xbox and iPod for gameing.

I would also like to get more into coding, which I understand that the pandora is pretty good for, also I like retro games and want to play more of them.

I would love to hear what you guys think I should do!

I kinda am thinking the same way. If you want a powerful, portable gaming machine, then the Clevo W110ER is the way to go, as it is good (unlike any other netbook), but when/if the next Pandora comes out (with a better GPU like the SGX 545(which supports Directx!)) you should be able to play Minecraft on tiny render distance with about 20-30 FPS. servers with more than 20 players would be impossible, unless theyre not on any chunks you have loaded. I do have plans to get an OP, but definitely want MC to run on it first,

Regarding GMOD, My next-gen pandora idea *could* run a program called GO-MOD (Pretty much GMOD without some things and it uses the HL1 engine unlike GMOD which uses the HL2 engine).

Regarding Minecraft, you should check out Minetest, which is a Minecraft clone which has been ported to the Pandora.

Just got me a new used laptop. Should be arriving in the next few days.

Dell Latitude E6400, Refurbished, 14.1 screen, Core 2 Duo, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 100 GB HD, DVDRW, 32-bit windows 7 Professional....for $318 plus shipping, so not too bad. I won the auction.

A bit more than I wanted to pay, but some guy kept bidding me up, and I decided to bastard-bid the guy once more, and if he bid me up again, I was gonna let it go, and bid on a different one, but he didn't bid me up again, so I ended up paying the absolute max I was gonna pay.

@3_Bit, "my idea for P2 is great because it could run $WINDOWS_GAME" is noob fail. Arm-based portables are not suited to running legacy desktop Windows games.

The choice between a laptop and Pandora needs to be based on your needs and real hardware and software capabilities. As a student, I would require a 10-finger, full keyboard for note taking and writing, along with strong battery life, leading me to an arm-based netbook. Yes it would suck for games, but computer games can be very harmful to your studies :/

Actually this thread was started by xJuicyPhreshx .

Edit : ok I see you were talking to 3_Bit .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back