Pandora’s Killer App – Rogue

dgame

I am a fan of the original Rogue games. As soon as I heard about the Pandora having a keyboard the first thing that came to mind is handheld Rogue.

Almost every variety of Rogue that exists work on my PC either natively or through emulators.
So with Dosbox, Amiga emulation, and native Linux the Pandora will be the ultimate Rogue handheld.

Sure Rogue may play on other portables, but none of them have a keyboard.

And there is no better way to impress your friends than by playing a completely ASCII game on “…the most powerful handheld in the world…”

CODE

Screen shot:

a) some food
b) +1 ring mail [4] being worn
----------------------- ########## c) a +1,+2 mace in hand
| +############### d) a +1,+0 short bow
| | e) 28 +0,+0 arrows
---------------+------- f) a short bow
# i) a magnesium wand
# g) a magnesium wand
### ---------------- j) a potion of detect things
--------+---------- | l) a scroll of teleportation
| | #+ --press space to continue--
| | #| | #
| +#######| | ##
| | | +##############
--------+---------- ------------------- #
###### #
------+---------- ######
|...........@..!| #
|...........%...| ---------------- #
|...............| #+ | #######
|...............+#################| | #
|...............| | +###########
----------------- ----------------
Level: 3 Gold: 73 Hp: 36(36) Str: 14(16) Arm: 4 Exp: 4/78

Controls:

Movement y k u
With SHIFT or CTRL to move until you hit \ | /
an obstacle h -+- l
/ | \
. Rest b j n
m <direction> Move onto something without taking it
, Pick up item at your location.

Command Keys
s search i inventory
f fight F fight (to the death)
e Eat q Quaff
r Read a scroll d Drop
P Put on ring R Remove a ring
CTRL-P See previous message > Descend level
< Ascend level ) List weapons
] List armour = List rings
^ Identify trap I Short inventory
T Take off W Wear armour
w Wield weapon c Call something a name
z Zap something t<direction> Throw something
v Version Q Quit
CTRL-A Show average hit points S Save game

Links:
http://users.tkk.fi/~eye/roguelike/rogue.html
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/archive/index.php
http://home.arcor.de/cybergoth/gamesc/rogue.html <-- Some graphically enhanced (ANSI or tile) versions.

I'm 100% for some roguelikes on Pandora. Personally, I prefer Nethack and Angband. I've tried playing those on my DS, and the screen is too small and the touchpad keyboard is pretty sad. Can't wait to get a proper portable roguelike experience :)

On a related note, we should totally get a Pandora group together in MAngband.

gp2xs said:
And there is no better way to impress your friends than by playing a completely ASCII game on “…the most powerful handheld in the world…”

Umm... I can think of a few!

Last edited by a moderator:
Roguelike is always nice. One of my favs is ADOM. There is a linux version.
http://www.adom.de

But the absolute monster of roguelike is dwarf fortress.
It needs so much ram, it probably won't ever run on pandora even if ported.

Babrios said:
But the absolute monster of roguelike is dwarf fortress.
It needs so much ram, it probably won't ever run on pandora even if ported.

So true. My life would be complete if I had a mobile Dwarf Fortress. I think the weakest link here is the CPU, actually... DF only takes about 50 megs of memory to run on a decent sized map, but can bring a 3 ghz CPU to its knees.

I really loved CalcRogue, for the TI-89 family of calculators. It was brilliantly designed, using 4-color greyscale to delineate walls and un-explored areas - a small yet nice step up from the simple, hyphen and pipe delineated fully-ASCII games.

If you haven't run across it, take a look at doomrl, a doom-based roguelike.
Unfortunately it is closed-source and uses the developper's own library, which is *partially* open-source, though he has said he will release the source when the game is "done"

After rummaging around in the guy's site, it seems that he has really cranked these things out, I see 4 different roguelikes he has written for game design contests, some of which have source available, definitely ripe for porting (if you do his "valkyrie" library first) or perhaps he could be persuaded to do some porting...

I've been playing NetHack using my GP2X since I got it and I still haven't ascended. :(

The main reason that I want a Pandora is to see if I can do any better with a full keyboard.

As for impressing people - People usually show interest at first but, when they realise the full horror of the ASCII graphics, they back away muttering "Linux idiot" and "whats so good about a towel?"

azmodean said:
If you haven't run across it, take a look at doomrl, a doom-based roguelike.
Nice stuff there, thanx for the hint.
For anyone interested, here is the link:
http://chaosforge.org/
There is also a rogue diablo, great.

skelso said:
As for impressing people - People usually show interest at first but, when they realise the full horror of the ASCII graphics, they back away muttering "Linux idiot" and "whats so good about a towel?"
I feel with you, even my girlfriend usually goes like: "Oh my, he's playing one of is "letter-walk-abouts" again".

I've been playing ABGRogue on my GP2X with GPSP.

I really REALLY want to play Rogue in 800x600. :D

(With tiles; I can't stand ASCII Rogue for some reason. THE M ATTACKS YOU! THE M DOES 13 DAMAGE! YOU FEEL WEAK FROM LACK OF FOOD!)

I have no doubt Nethack will be ported to the Pandora, and with the keyboard and touch screen it will be the best portable version available. I know it's got a 3D accelerator and all that, but Nethack... One of the games I'll enjoy most :)

YOUR RING OF DESTROY SCROLLS IS CURSED AND YOU CANNOT REMOVE IT

YOU PICK UP A SCROLL OF UNCURSE ITEMS BUT IT IS DESTROYED BY THE RING

(Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman were wise not to include something like this; I need to go play Rogue)

gp2xs said:
that kinda reminds me of Dwarf Fortress. Is there any chance of that getting on the Pandora ?

Lord_Doku said:
that kinda reminds me of Dwarf Fortress. Is there any chance of that getting on the Pandora ?
No. DF and its unlikelyness on the pandora has been discussed before in this very thread, btw.

My GP32 is a dedicated Rogue machine - it's the only thing on the SMC !

What freaks me out, is my 7 year old daughter thinks its brilliant too...

I got down to level 17 a few weeks ago, but still didn't find the amulet. Got killed by a Black Dragon or something...

Back