Pandora's Rival: The Gizmondo

Eclipse said:
maybe, but the Pandora one will be worst as I don't really expect that thing to change too :p

For some reason the Gizmondo reminds me of an old fashioned tea kettle...

Last edited by a moderator:
Eclipse said:
My only dubts about the "Gizmondo mk2" are: will it have the power to build a community like the gp2x one?
Maybe, but not likely. The specs may have been top-of-the-line 3 years ago, but they are not particularly impressive now. The device was only marginally more powerful than the GP2X and not even in the same category as the Pandora. I don't foresee many devs jumping to a significantly outclassed system.

Eclipse said:
I wonder also about the price, i think it needs to be much lower than psp one to have only a chance, will be lower than the Pandora one for sure thinking about all that stuff craig's team planned\promised
The Gizmondo was $400 when it came out less than 3 years ago. I don't think component prices have dropped enough to have the new version selling for less than the (highly subsidized) PSP. Gizmondo may end up cheaper than Pandora, but it will also be a lot less of a system.

Chip said:
Eclipse said:
My only dubts about the "Gizmondo mk2" are: will it have the power to build a community like the gp2x one?
Maybe, but not likely. The specs may have been top-of-the-line 3 years ago, but they are not particularly impressive now. The device was only marginally more powerful than the GP2X and not even in the same category as the Pandora. I don't foresee many devs jumping to a significantly outclassed system.

Not that I have anything more than a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude toward the future release of the supposedly resurrected Gizmondo, but the interview here:

http://sandberghans.blogspot.com/2008/01/c...h-gizmondo.html

seems to imply that the "new" Gizmondo may be the wide screen version that was developed, but never released. It is described in fair detail here:

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=153874

Chip said:
Eclipse said:
I wonder also about the price, i think it needs to be much lower than psp one to have only a chance, will be lower than the Pandora one for sure thinking about all that stuff craig's team planned\promised
The Gizmondo was $400 when it came out less than 3 years ago. I don't think component prices have dropped enough to have the new version selling for less than the (highly subsidized) PSP. Gizmondo may end up cheaper than Pandora, but it will also be a lot less of a system.

In the interview linked to above, it is claimed that the unit might sell for $99 but, once again, I'm extremely skeptical about the whole thing.

Squidge said:
Eclipse said:
at the moment that gizmondo II is surely most real than Pandora
Well, sure, but thats because the Gizmondo II is basically a Gizmondo with minimal changes (it can run homebrew). The Pandora is a completely new product.

In that case the Giz II surely will be pure crap. I bought a Giz off of ebay awhile back because it was cheap. You get what you pay for. God this Giz thing sucks. The screen is small, interlaced, washed out. The d-pad is clunky as hell, pure rubbish. Then the thing takes an hour to boot up, and a half hour just to turn off (well I exagerate but it seems like forever). You can't just turn it off you have to "shut down" like a windows PC. You can't even change the volume unless you exit the game and then change the volume through a hokey menu. Those "piano keys" are so unresponsive they seem broke. Oh yeah it only has one speaker too. No wonder it bit the dust. I hope it stays dead and buried ;)

Hard to imagine all the pomposity, Eclipse are they paying you to be so stupid?

This isn't the first thread I've heard suggestions of craig & co. being inadiquatially funded for a build like this, or at least compared to a larger company who had deep pockets. Firstly the gizmondo's regergitated product line isn't going to generate enough funds for a real release, this trash couldn't get out of a wet paper bag let alone make it's way stateside.

I would like to point out that every great company starts off with one great idea. In the videogame world one doesn't need to be microsoft to bring a piece of hardware to market. Gamepark, Gamepark Holdings as well as Tiger Telematics have all brought a piece of hardware to market, and all companies have flopped. The large difference is that the first two were, perhaps not on paper, but to the gaming community they were the same company. The pandora will be the third handheld in what has proven to be a successful series.

The gizmondo is old news EVEN IF it it is the newer version, made to be released in 2006. Nothing they do will change that. No hype, no "it's open source now" Nothing will resurect that dead piece of shit.

The Pandora is state of the art, it is functional rather than cute* and all the better for it. -CB

DaveC said:
In that case the Giz II surely will be pure crap. I bought a Giz off of ebay awhile back because it was cheap. You get what you pay for. God this Giz thing sucks. The screen is small, interlaced, washed out. The d-pad is clunky as hell, pure rubbish. Then the thing takes an hour to boot up, and a half hour just to turn off (well I exagerate but it seems like forever). You can't just turn it off you have to "shut down" like a windows PC. You can't even change the volume unless you exit the game and then change the volume through a hokey menu. Those "piano keys" are so unresponsive they seem broke. Oh yeah it only has one speaker too. No wonder it bit the dust. I hope it stays dead and buried ;)
Amen!

I wonder if anyone has yet managed to get more than 40 fps out of 2D application that does nothing but fill the frame buffer with a single color? (Running at 400Mhz of course).

Squidge said:
DaveC said:
Amen!

I wonder if anyone has yet managed to get more than 40 fps out of 2D application that does nothing but fill the frame buffer with a single color? (Running at 400Mhz of course).

it does take a while to boot up and down, but not the times you
are giving m8, and you can change the volume in most games
without exiting so lets get that straight, my piano keys work fine BTW, i have a gp2x as well.
like both the giz and the gp2x..will get pandora and *new* giz if it comes out like :p

ohhh... the pad on the gp2x aint that great either.. its about personnal preference really.

anyways enough of bitching eitherway this is a pandora forum
so just keep it at that...please...xxxx..lisa..xxxx

rammz said:
it does take a while to boot up and down, but not the times you
are giving m8
That's why he said "well I exagerate but it seems like forever" ;)

rammz said:
and you can change the volume in most games without exiting so lets get that straight
In reality, the volume control is the same as the gp2x - it works in the software that supports it. If it doesn't support it, you need to go back to the main menu to use it.

BaDToaD said:
Has anyone mentioned the Pandora over on the Giz Forums?

We may as well poach their coders too lol.
I almost did that, but was too chicken.

Buk Buk Buk.

rammz said:
will get pandora and *new* giz if it comes out like :p
You know what? So will I.

I'm already on board with Pandora and that is not going to change. But if those Swedish loonies can actually make the hardware they're claiming they can, and sell it to me for $99, I'll buy one. I'm still not going to believe it until I see it. But if I see it, I'm buying it.

The ill fated XGP line was also bragging about the $100 price point, but we got nothing but a bankrupt company to laugh at. True Even I might buy another Giz if it slipped under the $100 mark.

I fear though if that became a possibility, then you would get little more for your money than you do at the dollar store. Because IF they release it and the price is what they claim then I must assume that they are just trying to sell old stock rather than new machines.

Perhaps during the bankruptcy they stashed a warehouse of these old units and now they need a new company to "re introduce" the product to sell of the stash. If the bankruptcy wiped their debt which with what they filed it may well have, they would have no cost remaining on the units they had. Now after the right amount of time has passed and their debts have been paid, their CEO's are out of prison, and the FBI has confiscated all the firearms. They can now sell their Chinese warehouse full of units at like 90% profit.

Who knows, I don't care really, it will have NO impact on the Pandora anyhow. -cb

Squidge said:
DaveC said:
Amen!

The Pandora would probably emulate the giz.

Just underclock the thing, shut off one speaker, put the game screen in a little GBA sized window, put the CPU in a bunch of idle loops and there you go, perfect Giz emulation :p

uglyhammer.gif

I wouldn't buy another Giz if it was $10, never mind $100. I still have one sitting in pieces in my bottom drawer. It was fun whilst I was hacking it, but once it run homebrew and you noticed the speed of the thing, you kinda lose all interest. (Maybe thats why they didn't allow you to run homebrew? :D)

Squidge said:
uglyhammer.gif

I wouldn't buy another Giz if it was $10, never mind $100. I still have one sitting in pieces in my bottom drawer. It was fun whilst I was hacking it, but once it run homebrew and you noticed the speed of the thing, you kinda lose all interest. (Maybe thats why they didn't allow you to run homebrew? :D)
Put your Giz back in working order and I'll buy it for 10 bucks. What's happened to this board? If it's not the GP2X or Pandora it's the "enemy". Since the announcement of the Pandora, some members have even turned on the GP2X. And now a few members want to take their DaveC's bashing mentality to other forums to promote a product that isn't available for purchase yet. I really hope the Pandora gets released or the makers of straitjackets are going to make a killing.

Back