Pandora''s Type Classification

Any chance that the Pandora is unique enough to be in a class by itself? Instead of bothering with other classifications, we could call it a Pandora class/type device. I suppose that does not really clear up the confusion when explaining it to someone else . . . (What is it? A Pandora. What is a Pandora? Well, it is a . . . Pandora.)

'typs lik dis' said:
It's a gaming UMPC.
GUMPC!!!! (or just GUM). I like that classification the best so far =] I still think that it's in a class of it's own tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just be happy for somewhere like the register to show any interest in the Pandora at all, whatever they call it :)

handheld (personal) computer. Or HPC ;)

'craigix' said:
I'd just be happy for somewhere like the register to show any interest in the Pandora at all, whatever they call it :)
Once it hits release I'm sure the attention will be stupendous. I remember hearing about the gp32 from a mainstream gaming mag, so I'm sure some of them would be interested, plus since there is much more of a story behind the Pandora I'm sure you could easily get an article in Wired or something. Not to mention engadget's hard-on for the panda. The plethora of unboxings & whatnot will generate mild buzz on their own, but either way the release is going to spell a lot of exposure for the pandora.

The Pandora is it's own category, a handheld gaming PC. The only thing made with a similar intention that I know of is the Zodiac which was almost but not quite a full PC. The Pandora certainly is, though.

If someone walks up to me, asking me, "What's that?" I need to express what it is in a single phrase that they will understand. If I say that it's a handheld gaming computer, they'll probably ask if it can run World of Warcraft. Unless I'm with a bunch of computer geeks, no one will understand if I say that its an OMAP-based handheld gaming computer that runs Linux. Though, now that I think about it, if I say that it doesn't run Windows, that might fend off some of the stupid questions. UMPC, like computer, carries connotations of an x86 processor that I'd like to avoid. I called my clamshell Zaurus a PDA with a laptop form factor.
I'd probably call it a high-end gaming PDA.

I would say an hybrid between a portable gaming device and a UMD (Ultra Mobile Device).

Ultra Mobile Device are supposed to withhold (in deceasing order of size) Netbook, UMPC and IMD (Internet Mobile Device).

But really I guess everybody can call it whatever they want... just fact that it is a hybrid device is important IMO.

It's too big to be an MID and too small to be a netbook so I'm just gonna call it an UMPC. If you look at other UMPCs they have keyboards and often some navigation keys. Pandora is an UMPC with built in gaming controls. I would not call in a portable/handheld gaming device because to me that indicates that it can only play games and media.

'Awakening' said:
It's too big to be an MID and too small to be a netbook so I'm just gonna call it an UMPC. If you look at other UMPCs they have keyboards and often some navigation keys. Pandora is an UMPC with built in gaming controls. I would not call in a portable/handheld gaming device because to me that indicates that it can only play games and media.
It is nowhere near too big to be a MID. There are tons of MIDs that are much bigger than the pandora. The Pandora fits in the MID category if you want it to.

Back