Pandora''s Type Classification

'lulzfish' said:
I'll call mine lulz-pandora-2009, to follow the convention set by lulz-inspiron-2007.

But if you want a category, pocket computer and UMPC are both good. It's also sort of like a high-end gaming PDA, analogous to high-end gaming laptops and high-end gaming desktops.
haha us internet kids and our "memes" and our "lulz" hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
haha you internet kids indeed.
I just use lulz as a placeholder to show that my computer's actual name is my first name, the model, and the year I bought it.

@Bronek something tells me it isn't an HPC (High Performance Cluster) :)

PMGC -- pocketable handheld gaming computer

Its pocketable handheld designed for gaming and is also a computer and not a mere media device

also tacking on Linux isn't exactly right since in theory it can run BSD and probably a couple other OSes as well a Haiku Os port is possible as well... since one of the devs is thinking about pokeing around with a beagleboard will take a while though if he ever gets a-round-to-it

Without a precise definition that has instant recognition, perhaps a catchy slogan could help raise awareness? For example,

Pandora. A complete workout for your thumbs. Anytime. Anywhere.

Open Pandora. Redefine freedom.

Pandora. Your mobile gateway.

Pandora. Life. Neither the source, nor the answer, but the distraction.

In my humble opinion, none of these are stellar, and some are absolute rubbish, but perhaps the community could come up with some good suggestions. And although we can all perhaps appreciate the humor of something like
Pandora. Soon.
I am not sure it would help move things along.

I'm voting for Gaming PDA, with an optional [Open Source] thrown on at the front.

Ignore the flowchart - it was never meant to be taken seriously.

The Pandora does not fit into any currently existing classification. The term "palmtop" is a bit outdated, and it comes with some heavy PIM/productivity-only connotations, but it's probably closest going strictly by form factor.

The fact is that there has never been a full-featured computing platform this small. There has never been a full-featured portable computer with built-in gaming controls. The Pandora is in a class all to itself.

And as it should be, I henceforth declare that any future devices with the same formfactor will be 'Pandora-class'!

I wonder how many 'big' companies will copy the Pandora in the future. [As far as making a highly portable, ARM-based clamshell device to run Linux]

-- March 23rd, 2009, when none of the Pandora-class PCs are even in mass production

And now to save this post in a time shoebox and re-evaluate it later.

As I will be using it far more as a portable Linux computer, I will be referring to it as a Linux Palmtop that just happens to have game controls, especially when I am using it for remote server administration at work.

'SONY' said:
As mentioned in this thread...It's a portable gaming system. :)
Calling it (just) that omits that there's a complete open operating system.
There are no common commercial built-in boundaries in our pretty pandora.

To recycle your suggestion: Maybe call it a - yes, why not?
"Cosiderably more than just portable gaming system"

I still think of it as a computer, sized down quite a lot with additional gaming controls.
Sticking a d-pad and extra buttons to any thing with a screen does not magically
turn them into gaming systems.

Apologies for my previous post, it was a bit hasty. However, after taking the time to look at previous discussions and articles, I am still wondering what sort of summary would be sent to potential reviewers? As near as I can see, the Pandora is a rebirth of the hobbyist computer and also extremely portable, adding to its hobbyist potential. If it also succeeds in making the hobby easily accessible (for the user to really engage in development/tinkering), I think it would will find enthusiastic receptance by anyone with a naturally curious disposition, however the cost may steer some of them away. Or is the focus on gaming? It is obviously designed with games in mind, but is that the primary target? The processing power also has the capability for handling all sorts of media applications as well. So perhaps, it is a portable media player? It also has built-in wi-fi and bluetooth, allowing it the potential to network with many other devices, and some exceptional battery life. The Pandora is capable of so many things and could be something different for everyone. So how does someone describe the Pandora's purpose in a single word? I submit that it is impossible, but I still want to know what the short description to grab a reviewer's interest would look like.

It's "The Shit". Does that translate across all cultures?

'Phawx' said:
It's "The Shit". Does that translate across all cultures?
Not literally, at least. In finnish there's no "The Shit", there's just "Shit" :)

ZOMG I have it. It is sort of like a laptop, but instead it sits on the tips of your fingers (curled under the device because of the excellently ergonomic gaming controls)...

...it`s a...

Tiptop

Back