Pangea - Alternative Gui To Gmenu

Nothing that has not been said before on the unofficial blog. I'm in the progress of remaking the interface using the new Qt 4.6 animation and state machine systems and now it looks *a bit* more "moblin", and has improved some design fails that were on last video, like the big wasted space to show the description and screenshot. I'm also on a new operating system (where people do like to eat apples and candy...) so I'm also working on tunning a virtual machine with kubuntu so I can continue the coding.. Nothing more.

efegea said:
Nothing that has not been said before on the unofficial blog. I'm in the progress of remaking the interface using the new Qt 4.6 animation and state machine systems and now it looks *a bit* more "moblin", and has improved some design fails that were on last video, like the big wasted space to show the description and screenshot. I'm also on a new operating system (where people do like to eat apples and candy...) so I'm also working on tunning a virtual machine with kubuntu so I can continue the coding.. Nothing more.
If you don't mind me asking... Why would you need KDE to develop in Qt? Or Linux at all for that matter?

EDIT: Oh and BTW, I just thought about something: How about integrating not just discovered PNDs and so on in the Pangea menu, but also combining it with a package installer? So, there would be a tab called "New applications" that would look very similar to the usual program menu, but when clicking the icons, they wouldn't launch anything but instead download the correct package from the PND Manager? Could be pretty slick if implemented correctly, and I've put a lot of effort into making the PND Manager usable by 3rd party tools, so it shouldn't be difficult to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
efegea said:
If you don't mind me asking... Why would you need KDE to develop in Qt? Or Linux at all for that matter?

KDE because I feel more confortable. and linux because libpnd needs "inotify" which is only on linux kernel, won't compile on mach kernel.

efegea said:
dflemstr said:
efegea said:

KDE because I feel more confortable. and linux because libpnd needs "inotify" which is only on linux kernel, won't compile on mach kernel.
/me hopes that fsnotify will be more portable (which it probably won't be) once it's finished so that programs developed for Linux won't be so platform-bound.

BTW, read my edit above.

dflemstr said:

EDIT: Oh and BTW, I just thought about something: How about integrating not just discovered PNDs and so on in the Pangea menu, but also combining it with a package installer? So, there would be a tab called "New applications" that would look very similar to the usual program menu, but when clicking the icons, they wouldn't launch anything but instead download the correct package from the PND Manager? Could be pretty slick if implemented correctly, and I've put a lot of effort into making the PND Manager usable by 3rd party tools, so it shouldn't be difficult to do.

I'd prefer to make it just a launcher, a launcher for PNDs and *perhaps* roms, but just that. I had the idea time ago of making it a complete enviroment a bit like Moblin, but that was overcomplicating things (does that word exist in English?) Just a launcher, just a launcher!!

The GUI you've made is really cool. I like the idea of no names below the icons, could you make it so names are an option?

second exodous said:
The GUI you've made is really cool. I like the idea of no names below the icons, could you make it so names are an option?

The new design doesn't have names below icons. Well, it doesn't have icons.

Although if I continue with the project I'll implement an option so names can be shown over the thumbnails of the thumbnail grid, for people that prefer to read the names (sometimes a screenshot can be confusing)

It's so quiet here in this thread..

Let's post an mockup I did time ago of the new design. Why don't I post a screenshot of the current status? Well, I'll do that when Pangea is ready to be shown. I still have a lot to do. I won't post a screen of something incomplete. That is.

That means also not access to sourcecode. Although I don't have a svn/git/whatever working anyway.

I wanted the new design to be hold until release (of the launcher), but well...here it is. And I'm not showing all of its features :)

pangeang0002iphone.png

efegea said:
I'm open to listen ideas and suggestions, and critiques!! :)
Get your hair cut you hippy :p

Oh you meant the menu.. It's a little hard for us to give suggestions without seeing all the actual features and how they all work together I'm afraid. Maybe if you provide a little more info ;)

efegea said:
I'm open to listen ideas and suggestions, and critiques!! :)
It looks like you're focusing towards screenshots instead of icons. Personally, I prefer the old concept. The interface is cleaner, and sometimes screenshots are confusing. Everything else looks great though.

Yay. :) More details would be great, even just a few bullet points explaining the overall concept and a some of the planned features. I understand that you don't really like showing off unfinished work, but some teaser info would be cool.

Back