Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

Xenu said:
Will there be some kind of save-function or is it only an arcade-mode? If there are many levels there will be a bit boring to have to play threw 40 levels or so every time. Or will the levels be "unlocked" when you've beat them so you can practise them without having to play them from the beginning?

The plan i have is to have certain points in the game where you can save, not after every level though. sort of the chapter situation Amigo described.
It's the next thing im looking into after the scoring/requirements are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amigo Bandito Crujiente said:
I'm all for a chapter based approach, with different graphic sets for each chapter.
For us hardcore gamers it would be fun to have an arcade mode as well were you got three lives and that would be it. However you wouldn't want to play like that all the time of course.

Xenu said:
For us hardcore gamers it would be fun to have an arcade mode as well were you got three lives and that would be it. However you wouldn't want to play like that all the time of course.
Eventually there will be a couple of difficulty modes. And don't worry, Hardcore mode will certainly be one of them ;) But i can't imagine more than a couple of people would play in that mode. I think it's less frustrating to try and get a better highscore with a second run, or repeating from a certain point. But again: it will be there for those that want to.

Edit: and while we are talking about highscores, i would very much like a centralised high score site/system for all pandora players. But since i never programmed anything network or web page related i'm not sure where to start :S Does anyone have tips or reccomended reading? I have a couple of ideas on how to possibly do this. One is to make the program connect to a server (very network based, all new for me) Another is to make the game generate a code that contains the encrypted highscore, level reached, killscore and other necessary stuff.
Big concern ofcourse is security, so not sure if it's a viable option for such a small game.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!!

MarkoeZ said:
Edit: and while we are talking about highscores, i would very much like a centralised high score site/system for all pandora players. But since i never programmed anything network or web page related i'm not sure where to start :S Does anyone have tips or reccomended reading? I have a couple of ideas on how to possibly do this. One is to make the program connect to a server (very network based, all new for me) Another is to make the game generate a code that contains the encrypted highscore, level reached, killscore and other necessary stuff.
Big concern ofcourse is security, so not sure if it's a viable option for such a small game.

if you are going to start from the bottom, sockets, I really recommend Beej's Guide to Network Programming. It's the best socket tutorial I've ever read.

5vp1ep.jpg

Here's my promised egg, sorry for taking so long, any good? It's sort of icy.

*SIGH* I'm going to guess I didn't make it look so icy, eh? I'll keep should I keep trying?
And if you zoom in close, you'll see what I really did. Stupid tiny eggs, I wish I had more room to work with...
25035905183c2a9fb9c3.jpg

well +1 for good spirit and determination to make something. Just remember this is pixel art. Almost every pixel of the sprites is hand drawn (or basic primitive). So i suggest to take JUST THE OUTLINE (remove everything inside the magenta ; ) of the egg and try something with different colours, and remember that light comes from a bit top left.

While i'm posting, small update: The status screen is working partly. Score additions from kills and collectibles are updated visually. Next is extra score and time bonus, should not take long.
Also still reading about the network stuff. Think i can copy and paste a lot of code, but i like to read it first and try some examples to know what's happening.

Jourdy, I suggest you start here: http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218

You can take the existing egg as a template. Start by coloring the entire egg plain white. Then skip to step five of the tutorial to start creating the egg :)

Pixel art is mostly done pixel by pixel from a clean sheet. Pre-existing graphics are sometimes used as templates, but the final image should have close to zero unoriginal pixels.

EDIT: I took another look at Jourdy's egg and I think I see what he was after. The egg is not supposed to be an entirely different egg, it is the same egg but with frost on it. So it's actually a themed version of the original to fit the ice level. It's not actually that bad if you think of it this way.

EDIT2: Still, I agree with MarkoeZ that the eggs should differ more.

Jourdy, do you ever do any traditional art? pencil sketches and the like?

I would highly recommend it, any kind of graphics work benefits from an understanding of basic drawing and sketching.

Jourdy, do you ever do any traditional art? pencil sketches and the like?

I would highly recommend it, any kind of graphics work benefits from an understanding of basic drawing and sketching.
True, this really helps. But don't forget, that real "Pixel-Art" follows other rules than traditional drawing. Often, every Pixel of these Tiny artworks has a function and the entire object would look wrong, if one Pixel is missing.

Of course, the look of Panjoust is actualy not classic Pixel Art, so it hasn't to be that accurate I think. :)

It follows other rules, yes, but any 2 dimensional depiction of a 3d object follows certain rules and strictures.

I don't know much about pixel art, I find it somewhat confining, but I think a basic understanding of something as simple as light/dark value would be a better first step for Jourdy than a lecture on the finer points of Pixel Placement.

It follows other rules, yes, but any 2 dimensional depiction of a 3d object follows certain rules and strictures.

I don't know much about pixel art, I find it somewhat confining, but I think a basic understanding of something as simple as light/dark value would be a better first step for Jourdy than a lecture on the finer points of Pixel Placement.
True, shadows, light and dark are an art of it's own. :)
I made some serious pixel-art without knowing much about that, some elements I did in Blender in 3D to have "exact" shadows for example, then I translated it into 2D and did an "pixelation" overhaul so everything fits into the "rule of 8". :D
Here is my industrial Level design with old fashioned exact Pixel art, 32x32 tiles AND free, hand drawn Cloud layers! (uuuh! ;) ) Yes, I'm free of talent in hand drwan clouds but it doesn't look that bad in motion. The Sprite is of course not made by me.

Nothing major, but for contributors and followers: The new scoring system in a youtube vid

Obviously needs graphics, and a new tune would be nice :)
Score values will also change probably, i want a nicely balanced score for time invested for kills/collectibles and points gained

Edit: Also a lot of time invested in researching network programming, still working on that

Nothing major, but for contributors and followers: The new scoring system in a youtube vid
Well? thoughts anyone??? :p

I'm not interested in the looks or layout of the scorescreen yet, things will be repositioned, a nice background will be added, and an appropriate tune selected. Just if the level scoring is sufficiently seperated in kills, time left, and collected items. I also have the plan to add another value to the score screen, extra points. those can be collected by breaking a column for instance, or killing a porcupine, since thats harder than a bird. that's the value in the top right currently (in-game, and not implemented in the level objects, hence no score yet). The level requirements are now displayed in the bottom left ingame, once replaced by graphics they will not show the negatives obviously. Also, as suggested, an icon will be displayed if the level requires a cage to be reached.

Shortly: any feedback/ideas/thoughts would be nice. Even (constructive) negative ones ;)

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

P.s. Network stuff is on pause, too time consuming at this point in the project. I will keep it in mind when programming new stuff ofc.

Edit: The tone might not have matched the thought ;)

Back