Passive 3D ?

mjohansson

Supporter
Hey, do anyone know of passive 3D tech? It seem to me you should be able to purchase a filter of some sort and add to the display to allow for passive 3D glasses to be used, then you render both eye perspectives in single frame with different line for different eye. Im guessing no one have any interest in this except me, but you never know, dosnt hurt to ask. If the screen filters don't cost much could you EvilDragon imagine adding them and would people be for or against it?

It is not only the filter. Have a look at how a lcd panel works.

Basically, the light that passes through the display is polarized already.

You would need some display that has line interleved polarizers already in it and by line reversed filters in the back, too.

Thats how I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Polarium flters aren't for 3D, they're the conventional polarising layer that is on all LCD screens.

You might use them for repairs if using a replacement screen with no (or inferior) polarising layer fitted, or maybe one with damage to that part, such as heat or scratch marks.

EDIT: If you could get a polarising layer with alternating vertical stripes for passive 3D, it would need to match the exact pitch of the Pyra's pixel array, and you'd need to attach it with absolute precision - just the slightest misalignment and.. junked!

EDIT 2 (because I like 3D!) - There are other ways, more novel perhaps, of getting passive 3D, but they would all be a bit too messy for most users I suspect :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, mayby for the successor of Pyra there will be available displays with built in 3D of some type, but I guess the Pyra is out of question.

It is not only the filter. Have a look at how a lcd panel works.

Basically, the light that passes through the display is polarized already.

You would need some display that has line interleved polarizers already in it and by line reversed filters in the back, too.

Thats how I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct.

There are people who -remove- the polarizing filter from their LCD (phone, laptop, etc) which results in the screen appearing to be diffuse white. They then wear polarized glasses to see the image. It makes shoulder surfing more difficult or something.

For passive 3D on the Pyra, that should be possible using blue & red old-school 3D glasses. It wouldn't be very good though.

For active 3D on the Pyra - now you're talking. Bluetooth or USB controlled shuttering glasses with alternating 720p images at >=20 fps should do it.

You could always try the Pulfrich Effect with any games that involve sideways parallax scrolling.

You just need one eye to have a slightly darker view of the screen (doesn't need to be as dark a filter as a sunglasses lens, though that'll work too).

IIRC for a game scrolling from right to left, like most side-scrolling shootemups such as R-Type or Parodius (or even the likes of Flappy Bird!) you need your filter covering your LEFT eye* - then you should get a pretty convincing depth effect that varies depending on the speed each parallax layer is moving, while the slowest or static objects like your ship, appear to be on the 'surface' of the screen.

I can think of a few other passive techniques, but that one doesn't even need new software ;)

I remember this used to work really well on a lot of old Amiga demos...

*- I'm not 100% sure, will need to check, although if you're experimenting, it should be pretty apparent if you have the correct eye covered for the direction of scrolling being displayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back