Payback Sd Ver Crashes After Loading Screen

Milamber777

Still Fresh
I have the SD Card version of Payback bought from another member here. Since getting it, it's given me problems. It will launch the Loading screen, then crash, dumping me back to the standard gp2x menu. I had found a previous post (now eluding me) about deleting the 'game' directory. I did that, and eventually got it to run once. Ever since, it will not work. I had been using firmware 4.0.2. I have since upgraded (just today 07 July, 2008) to 4.1.1. Still fails. I've used an SD card reader to remove the /game directory between every attempt (plus any other directory created by the gp2x front end: ebook, music, photo, etc.) I don't know how to get to a file browser that will not automatically create a folder entry. I had tried modifying an autoexec file per one post suggestion about it, and placing it in the root folder, which also did not work. Any suggestions?

Milamber777 said:
I have the SD Card version of Payback bought from another member here. Since getting it, it's given me problems. It will launch the Loading screen, then crash, dumping me back to the standard gp2x menu. I had found a previous post (now eluding me) about deleting the 'game' directory. I did that, and eventually got it to run once. Ever since, it will not work. I had been using firmware 4.0.2. I have since upgraded (just today 07 July, 2008) to 4.1.1. Still fails. I've used an SD card reader to remove the /game directory between every attempt (plus any other directory created by the gp2x front end: ebook, music, photo, etc.) I don't know how to get to a file browser that will not automatically create a folder entry. I had tried modifying an autoexec file per one post suggestion about it, and placing it in the root folder, which also did not work. Any suggestions?
I doubt you will get it working on an F200, at least not until we get Open2X up and running, so we can fix some of the retarded things it does.

Unfortunately, the author of Payback was notified of this behavior but only replied once and never seemed interested in fixing the problem. I can only play it on my F100 and only after deleting those files. There's probably some sort of trick you can do, but payback reads changes to the SD so it will have to avoid that somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way to get Payback to work on a GP2X F200 is to turn on your GP2X without the SD Card in, goto game, then sd then go up a directory twice (till it says ext & sd) THEN insert the SD Card and go into sd and it will play without creating the stupid games folder (note you must ensure that the games folder is removed or the copy protection of the game will not allow the game to run)

Hooka said:
The easiest way to get Payback to work on a GP2X F200 is to turn on your GP2X without the SD Card in, goto game, then sd then go up a directory twice (till it says ext & sd) THEN insert the SD Card and go into sd and it will play without creating the stupid games folder (note you must ensure that the games folder is removed or the copy protection of the game will not allow the game to run)

Awesome, now I can play it again on the F200. You saved me last time when I had no idea why it would no longer work, even on my F100, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect, worked like a charm! Thank you so much, Hooka!

Someone mentioned in an alternate thread about writing a script that would delete the created directory, and then run payback. Any ideas how to do this, where to save it, and how to run it from the standard gp2x menu frontend?

Well, to get past their copyprotection you'd probably either have to hide it in the music directory (might not work, it may look at the file extensions in that directory too, I just know that you can add more songs there atleast), or put it on your NAND... as for writing a script to do so, it'd probably take about 10 second truthfully, just make sure you write it with LINUX-style line endings... not Windows-style

Back