Pc Game "blood" Port Idea

dsraa

hey guys,
I was wondering what it would take to port the game "BLOOD" to the gp2x. it was a FPS for the PC, that came out years ago, around the era of Doom.

I realize that dosbox *might* be able to do so, but as I understand it, the port of dosbox wouldn't run this too well.

I would like to something like this to port it, and am willing to learn, I just have no -idea where to start. if some body could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

DSR

Alright, first you'd need the source code, second you'd need to convert it to the ARM processor.

Next time, please read the warnings at the top of the forum and search for answers first.

Didn't BLOOD run on the BUILD engine?
I've not looked at the Duke Nukem port in detail, but I would think that would be the best place to start looking at a way of porting it

Edit: Duke Nukem 3D was a BUILD engine game, if you didn't follow my leap of logic there ;)

Wite_Noiz posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:42 PM said:
I've not looked at the Duke Nukem port in detail, but I would think that would be the best place to start looking at a way of porting it

Edit: Duke Nukem 3D was a BUILD engine game, if you didn't follow my leap of logic there ;)

Yeah, you're right, I could start there, and see what differentiates between the two, as I'm sure they are not exactly the same...

I was thinking this couldn't be too hard to do....as there is already a duke port...:)

DSR

Last edited by a moderator:
Parkydr posted on Jul 19 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
Paradox posted on Jul 19 2006 at 02:57 PM said:
hasnt this been asked a lot of times already..

Yes

It's the first pinned topic in the "Cool Ideas and other wishes" forum

thankyou. I should've done a more extensive search for it...I'll quitely bang my head against the wall.

DSR

dsraa posted on Jul 19 2006 at 06:54 AM said:
Wite_Noiz posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:42 PM said:

Yeah, you're right, I could start there, and see what differentiates between the two, as I'm sure they are not exactly the same...

I was thinking this couldn't be too hard to do....as there is already a duke port...:)

DSR

Well, technically you COULD use the BUILD engine to make Blood, but since there's no source (enemy placement, AI, maps etc.), you'd have to recreate the entire game from scratch, through careful comparison. Game recreations usually take years to implement accurately; it would probably be a little less for Blood though as the engine and art are available and its a simple fps. I don't see anyone doing this just for the GP2X though.

DosBox will never be fast enough to run Blood unfortunetly. HOWEVER, there is a second option called QEMU. :) It's an x86 emulator that runs much faster than DosBox. By running a program called DosEmu on top of it, you'll be able to play DOS games. It can also run Windows games through WINE. If it worked, not only would you be able to play Blood, but also other games like Dark Forces, Warcraft, and Command & Conquer. This is all theoretical though. First somone needs to actually port QEMU to the ARM architecture, which requires some ARM assembly knowledge and see if it would work at all.

Or of course, I suppose, if you're a coding God's god, you could decompile Blood into x86 ASM, somehyow work out what was data and what was code, and re-write it from then up...

But there's a reason this method isn't used to port things, and, quite apart from the legal issues (you'd be completely over the line), it's that it's only slightly easier than programming a computer using nothing but a big binary number, typed out by hand as a lot of 0s and 1s!

I think I once offered one of my friends the sum of £3000 if he could, at any point in his life, rewrite Pong, with video evidence of so doing, using no coding language except a big string of 0s and 1s. I strongly suspect that my money is entirely safe unless he cheats...

Back