Release Pcsx-Rearmed

Notaz, You ROCK!

Sadly, my Pandora is out of the country currently, but I'm sure you will have made 1 or 2 more great updates by the time she returns. So the wait will be getting worse and worse as the days go by. Thanks Again!

Chris

R4 works much better for me! For some reason R3 was flickering a lot. Sent a donation for the efforts. Keep up the great work!

Quickly tried a few games on this version:
Worms World Party- still has sane memory card issue
Worms Armageddon-didn't work on R3, works great on R4, near 50fps @ 800
Revolt-works pretty well, some odd polygons though
Medieval 1-played through tutorial level, wouldn't allow me to select any other level on the map

Stouffa said:
Quickly tried a few games on this version:
Worms World Party- working 60 fps @ 800
Worms Armageddon-didn't work on R3, works great on R4, near 50fps @ 800
Revolt-works pretty well, some odd polygons though
Medieval 1-played through tutorial level, wouldn't allow me to select any other level on the map
Forgot to add in Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands-seem to work perfectly! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
R-Type Delta works fine with BIOS (scph1001.bin) but there's no music. Sound effects are fine, just no background music. I did try running sound in a separate thread, but lost all sound. Disabled the threaded sound, and it came back fine (without music, natch).

Hope that helps.

D.

Tashi said:
Are the analog knobs supported in PSX Rearmed?
Not yet.

Stouffa said:
Which region? Works for me with real BIOS and HLE, just need to wait for something like 8 seconds.

Dunny said:
R-Type Delta works fine with BIOS (scph1001.bin) but there's no music. Sound effects are fine, just no background music. I did try running sound in a separate thread, but lost all sound. Disabled the threaded sound, and it came back fine (without music, natch).
Working here, maybe you disabled XA decoding or something?

notaz said:
Dunny said:
Working here, maybe you disabled XA decoding or something?
Yep, that's it - mind you, the music stutters something awful, so I've turned it off again! Setting it to play sound through a separate thread still results in silence though. Is that option broken at the moment?

Also, does the CPU speed setting work? I've got mine set to 900Mhz, and it plays almost exactly the same as at 600Mhz.

D.

Nice work this is getting better all of the time.

My simple tests:

Raystorm now works although the music/sound is stuttery and the action pauses time to time at 600 MHz.

Einhander still locks up at the WAIT.. part even with BIOS enabled. I guess it isn't a BIOS problem. It worked on PSX4Pandora so that is strange.

Also controls are still not saved. Could this please be fixed and controls done along with the PER GAME config? This is really needed due to the 2 shoulder button vs 4 on a PSX. Many games switch between the top and bottom shoulder buttons being strafe etc and some games are near unplayable unless these are changed. Since there was no standard there a global control config will not work and we would still have to mess around per game anyway. Having to fiddle with the control dialog every time you load a game and switch to a different one is no fun. Maybe a "flip shoulder buttons" per game option could be added and saved per game if you don't want to save all controls per game?

Thanks again for the amazing emu.

Stouffa said:
Which region? Works for me with real BIOS and HLE, just need to wait for something like 8 seconds.

Updated my post earlier, hadn't left it long enough to scan the memory card properly...

Dunny said:
Also, does the CPU speed setting work? I've got mine set to 900Mhz, and it plays almost exactly the same as at 600Mhz.
It works for me, but you are not the first to report this. Have you installed HF4? Maybe Craig still ships old firmwares or something (the clock setting relies on firmware scripts to do it's work).

DaveC said:
Also controls are still not saved. Could this please be fixed and controls done along with the PER GAME config?
Yes it could, but it's rather boring/annoying part to code, I'd rather keep fixing compatibility. I'll get to it eventually.

notaz said:
Dunny said:
It works for me, but you are not the first to report this. Have you installed HF4? Maybe Craig still ships old firmwares or something (the clock setting relies on firmware scripts to do it's work).

Yes, I have HF4 installed with the community codec pack. There is a very small difference in speed between 600 and 900 Mhz, but not as much as I was expecting - maybe I have my sights set too high...

Any further speed boosts expected, or is this about it as far as PSX emulation goes on the Pandora? I was hoping for fullspeed R-Type Delta, and in a way I do get that - if I turn off the XA Sound... With XA Sound enabled the game moves at the same speed, but the music is very broken.

D.

Dunny said:
Yes, I have HF4 installed with the community codec pack. There is a very small difference in speed between 600 and 900 Mhz, but not as much as I was expecting - maybe I have my sights set too high...
This game could be suffering from cache misses badly and could be limited by memory latency/bandwidth, which doesn't change when you overclock.

Dunny said:
Any further speed boosts expected, or is this about it as far as PSX emulation goes on the Pandora? I was hoping for fullspeed R-Type Delta, and in a way I do get that - if I turn off the XA Sound... With XA Sound enabled the game moves at the same speed, but the music is very broken.
There are lots of things to improve but it's hard to predict what I'll be able to implement (or integrate from projects like PCSX4ALL) and how much will that improve performance, but I believe there is some room.

Gruso said:
I believe newly shipped Pandoras still require Hotfix 4.

Aha, I'd read that they came with HF4 already....

Slightly OT - quick test to find out which HF I have pre-installed? All the releases appear to be called Zaxxon...

notaz said:
DaveC said:
Also controls are still not saved. Could this please be fixed and controls done along with the PER GAME config?
Yes it could, but it's rather boring/annoying part to code, I'd rather keep fixing compatibility. I'll get to it eventually.
I'd like to point out that, since the source is available, anyone could add these boring features and send a patch to notaz. That's the beauty of open source!

stustaff said:
Wow!

This is pretty cool, just dropped one of my favourite games in this Psx-rearmed and it works perfectly at 600mhz framerate of about 45-60 with no changes.

Sound perfect even the voice at the start and graphics are spot on!

Thanks for this.

So weird! I had vandal hearts running. Have gone to run it now and nothing just get a black screen!

I have reset config back to standard but nit having any joy at all.

Could it have anything to do with this?
http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/1104-faulty-pandora-cpu/

Tempel said:
notaz said:
DaveC said:
I'd like to point out that, since the source is available, anyone could add these boring features and send a patch to notaz. That's the beauty of open source!

I'd like to point out that as someone who doesn't seem to contribute ANY features what-so-ever that DaveC whines a whole heck of a lot. Notaz -- Thank you very much for your efforts and I'm sorry you have to deal with people who never seem to be happy with what you do. I appreciate all the time you put into this project and I think your prioritizations of features and fixes so far have been fantastic.

Back