Release Pcsx-Rearmed

Nice compatibility boost! Loads of games that didnt run for me before now work (including my beloved Syphon Filter!).

Also, C12 before had wierd blue-tinged graphics errors but now it doesnt.

Now some bad news ;) Two games which have issues are Final Fantasy 9 PAL(crashes as soon as a battle starts) and The world is not enough (as soon as you get into the lobby everyone is a spinning mess! Really trippy: has to be seen!).
As soon as FF9 gets fixed I can finally abandon the other psx emu, and the way you're going Notaz, I'm sure it'll be soon :)

I feel some donations coming on ;)

MooTheKow said:
Tempel said:
notaz said:
DaveC said:
Also controls are still not saved. Could this please be fixed and controls done along with the PER GAME config?
Yes it could, but it's rather boring/annoying part to code, I'd rather keep fixing compatibility. I'll get to it eventually.
I'd like to point out that, since the source is available, anyone could add these boring features and send a patch to notaz. That's the beauty of open source!

I'd like to point out that as someone who doesn't seem to contribute ANY features what-so-ever that DaveC whines a whole heck of a lot. Notaz -- Thank you very much for your efforts and I'm sorry you have to deal with people who never seem to be happy with what you do. I appreciate all the time you put into this project and I think your prioritizations of features and fixes so far have been fantastic.

To be fair to DaveC, without his input, we wouldnt have any! No case, no lovely D-pad etc :) Whilst not
high priority and no doubt boring so I understand why, I also agree that per game configs that save the
controls aswell (although hell yeah, its great to be able to change them at all) makes for a richer
experience with any of titles that are already running.

I'd like to add on that score that the compatibility is very, very good imhho. I count probably 70+ games
that are working well and with the Pandoras feature set, form factor and grunt for similar spec devices
thanks to MWestons choices, it makes for a darn good PSX machine. If theres better outthere I'd like to
know but for me I am very surprised by what is already achieved even if this is the end of line, which
I doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
stustaff said:
stustaff said:
Wow!

This is pretty cool, just dropped one of my favourite games in this Psx-rearmed and it works perfectly at 600mhz framerate of about 45-60 with no changes.

Sound perfect even the voice at the start and graphics are spot on!

Thanks for this.

So weird! I had vandal hearts running. Have gone to run it now and nothing just get a black screen!

I have reset config back to standard but nit having any joy at all.

Could it have anything to do with this?
http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/1104-faulty-pandora-cpu/
[/quote

Oh man I'm an idiot... Corrupted bin is to blame...]

Thanks again for the continued updates :)

here's my re-retests:

SOTN - no change, still works great

Civ 2 - Now Works! 60fps @ 600mhz

Front Mission 3 - Now Works! 600 won't do on this one, 850 is pretty decent, gets you in the 40's fps range in game, 950 gets you closer to 50fps. So its running a little slow but very playable, sound is not suffering too much either, the music just slows down a bit, doesn't garble or cut out. Very excited to play this one :) it didn't work at all on psx4pandora, you the man notaz!

Brave fencer Musashi - still runs good but requires 850+ to help with the voice over garbling problem

FF8 - Still has the partial freeze-up at the battle splash screen

Gundam battle assault 2 - freezes the game before any splash screens (black screen of death)

Spiderman 2 - Worked ok with r3 but with this release there is a graphical glitch. The buildings no longer show up, spidey is walking in thin air! :) It's like the background layer is covering all the rest of the level layers, if that makes sense. The game does seem to be running faster though, probably because its not displaying all the level.

Megaman Legends - still has the freeze up on the capcom screen followed by the weird sound glitches

Megaman X4 - still good to go (50+fps @ 600mhz)

Suikoden 2 - Now Works! The menu text glitch seems to be fixed, and its running 50-60fps @ 850mhz for much of the game and around 40fps in battle, feels smoother and faster! Saving and loading games now works also. Top notch! I officially have no free time now :)

Wild Arms 2 - Now Works! Requires about 750mhz to get 60fps in game. Very nice!

Tenchu 1 - Still good, 55+fps in game @600mhz, cut scenes could use some reving tho. smooth at 700

Star Ocean 2 - Ran good on r3 with the exception of the damage being dealt to enemies would show up a 888 or 333, similar to Suikoden 2. But just like with Suikoden, that bug is now gone! This game runs great.

CTR working *_*
thanks notaz

I tested it a bit at ~800MHz, seems to have 30-40fps while in game (race or adventure mode).

Vandal Hearts is almost perfect, music is good but certain effects sounds break up.

As an aside what sort of info is useful for feeding back to the devs?

Can I play multi disk games? dont want to spend hours on a rpg just to stall on disk 2

Could folks please mention if they're playing PAL or NTSC versions of the games please?
Sometimes I think I'm doing something wrong when other people report that a game works and for me it doesn't, when the problem is the version.
CTR PAL crashes for example, though someone here says it works so I'm assuming its the NTSC version he's playing.

BTW, just like to mention that Front Mission 3 (Pal) works, which was a pleasant surprise because it doesn't even work for me on PC in epsxe!

@orac I know the multi disk thing works fine with ff7, the game simply creates a save for disk 2 when you finish disk one, then you just load the disk 2 image and load said save and your good to go. Pretty sure most games work that way but I know you can at least get a good ol' game of ff7 going :)

@Lobo, all my game test are on NTSC. So both Front Mission 3's work. I'm also super stoked about FM3 working, I might just have to stop playing Star Ocean 2 and switch over for some mech action :D

Lobo said:
CTR PAL crashes for example, though someone here says it works so I'm assuming its the NTSC version he's playing.

Well, i'm playing a PAL version if i'm not mistaken, and at first look it didn't pass the "crash team racing (c) blablablah" screen. Then i added the bios i had for psx4all, and the game ran well - but i don't know if it's related.
I feared a bit when i tried the adventure mode : had a crash while loading the map. I retried and now it works well, although it's quite slow ~35fps at 850MHz.

Based of purely the games that didnt work or had issues on my prior list , here's a revision so far:

Fixed

Alien Resurrection PAL/NTSC-U (.bin/.img)- (R4) Various versions work well. Cant seem to correctly remap the shoulder buttons though, as Q P wont unbind from L2 R2.

40 Winks (U) (SLUS 00874) – (R4) Now works well with bios. Upto 60fps @ 800mhz.

Alone in the Dark Jack is Back (PAL SLES 00037) – (r1) CTD (r2) CTD (R4) Now works well with bios.

Bishi Bashi Special (PAL SLES 02537) (R4) Now works perfectly with bios.

Brian Lara Cricket (PAL SLES OO759) - (R4) Plays well. Some sound chop.

Bugs Bunny Lost in Time (PAL SLES 01726) – (R4) = NOW WORKS. Some sound jitter and slowdown/cuts of sound in some cutscenes.PLAYABLE.

Bushido Blade (PAL SCES OO899) – (R4) Perfect with bios.

Bushido Blade 2 [NTSC-U] – (R4) Perfect with bios.

Death Trap Dungeon - NTSC U (.img) (R4) Perfectly with Bios.

Dancing Stage Euromix (PAL 02941) – (R4) Perfect.

Devil Dice (PAL SCES 01312) - (R4) Perfect with bios.

Discworld II (SCUS 94605) (.img) - (R4) Now works well with bios. Some sound synch issues on intro cutscene.

Fighting Force (PAL (alc 120% .img)) (R4) Now works fullspeed with bios.

G-Police [SLUS-00544]- (R4) Works well with bios. A little slow @ 800mhz.

G – Police 2 (NTSC-U .mdf) - (R4) Works very well. Upto 50fps with bios.

Mary Kings Riding Star (PAL SLES 02379) – (R4) = STILL BUST. STILL A GOOD THING :) (BARBIE DETECTIVES ARE INVESTIGATING :) )

Music 2000 (E) (SLES 02224) – (R4) NOW WORKS.

Omega Boost [NTSC] [SCUS-94449] – (R4) - 50FPS @ 800MHZ but still hangs on intro fmv, so skip it to
play.

Point Blank [NTSC-U] [SLUS-00481] – (bin/cue) - (R4) PERFECT.

Point Blank (PAL SCES 00886) – (r1) CTD (r2) Same (R4) PERFECT.

Point Blank 3 [NTSC-U] [SLUS-01354] – (R4) - PERFECT.

Point Blank 3 (PAL SCES 03383) – (r1) & (r2) `Did´ Work well but can randomly crash. Now CTD on
pressing start. (R4)

Rainbow Six Rogue Spear - (R4) Works fine now with bios. Rendering issues are resolved.

Ridge Racer Revolution [SLUS-00214] - (R4) WORKS. Can accelerate now and music is constant speed but frame rate drops randomly. Very playable at 1ghz 50+fps but not at 800mhz. Some rendering issues. The sea is a green wall for example.

Smurf Racer (NTSC-U SLUS-01359 – (R4) Now works with bios. 40fps @ 800mhz Upto 60 @ 1ghz. Some sound stutter issues cause slowdowns.

Tenchu (PAL SLES 01374) - (CloneCD .img) (R4) Perfect now with bios. For me it didnt run before.

Vagrant Story [SLUS-01040] – (.bin/.img./.mdf) (R4) MDF = FIXED
Vagrant Story (PAL SLES 02754) – (R4) = STILL WORKS

Vandal Hearts (PAL SLES 00204) – (R4) = WORKS WELL. Sound issue appears to be gone now.

V Rally 2 (NTSC-U SLUS 01003) (.img) – (R4) WORKS WELL. Now has in race music aswell and runs at a very
good speed @ 800mhz. Used to fail at memory card stages.
V Rally 2 (PAL SLES 01907) (R4) AS ABOVE.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire (PAL SLES 03589) – (R4) NOW WORKS PERFECTLY. OH WOE.

Still have issues.

3Xtreme (U) (SCUS 94231) – (r1) Good speed but sound is out (r2) Runs very fast at 50-60fps but some
sound effects seem out of synch. Doesnt like the memory card being selected from the menu and freezes. (R4) No longer freezes on memory cards.

Destruction Derby [SCUS-94302] – (R4) Did work well under R4 on one occasion but now wont seem to again.

Final Doom [SLUS-00331] – (R4) With bios it nows goes beyond the Williams logo, displays a loading
message and plays background music but does not load in.

GTA 1 (PAL SLES 00032) - (r1) Works well but in car radios mess up and become distorted white noise.
(r2) same (R4) Same for me YMMV.

Mickeys Wild Adventure (PAL) (.img)(R4) SAME. Hangs with Mickey dancing about in the dark on loading.

Parasite Eve II (PAL SLES 02558) - (r1) Hangs on squaresoft logo (r2) same. (R4) SAME.

Resident Evil Directors Cut (PAL SLES 00969) – (R4) SAME BLACK SCREEN

Ridge Racer [SCUS-94300] - (R4) SAME messed up sound after first race, or if demo race is allowed
to run. Pleng has a working version so YMMV.

Shadow Master (NTSC SLUS 00545) (R4) Still randomly crashes out in early game play.

Silent Bomber [NTSC-U] [SLUS-00902] (r1) Not playable. Loops drop in on level 1. (r2) Playable. Lots
of audio slowdown but works 30-50fps. (R4) LIKE TEKKEN 2. Has bad rendering issues and long limbs.

Silent Bomber (PAL SLES 02792) (r1) Extreme audio chop and Chipmunk voices in intros, ingame has
playable speed. (r2) Same but clearer voice over. (R4) WITH BIOS = TEKKEN 2 STYLE. NO BIOS = no rendering issues but audio too slow.

Tekken 2 (PAL SCES 00255) - (R4) SAME Long limbs still.

Tiger Woods (U) (SLUS 01273) - (r1) & (r2) Severe stuttering slowdown. (R4) SAME.

Time Crisis II - Project Titan [SLUS-01336] (r1) & (r2) Fullspeed and controls fine but shots dont
register. (R4) SAME.

Tony Hawks 2 (PAL SLES 02908) – (r1) crashes to desktop when skater select screen appears. (r2) Runs
well. Can randomly crash to desktop. Psx4 = Run fullspeed but no music. (R4) RUNS BADLY NOW with bios. Rendering issues and very slow.

Toy Story 2 (PAL SLES 02067) - Playable in both. Lots of sound stutter & audio slowdown, with black
lines flickering on dialog. Black lines dont occur on Psx4. (R4) SAME ISSUES.

MonkeyChops said:
@orac I know the multi disk thing works fine with ff7, the game simply creates a save for disk 2 when you finish disk one, then you just load the disk 2 image and load said save and your good to go. Pretty sure most games work that way but I know you can at least get a good ol' game of ff7 going :)

Thanks

orac31 said:
MonkeyChops said:

Thanks

I have played Heart of Darkness up to the disk change, I'm unable to progress. I'm sure that will be fixed soon though. I could load it into pcsxr fir Windows and play past, copy memory cord over ETC. but I think I'll wait. Many other games to be playing ATM :D

@chaser what is your set up for running vandal hearts? I still have sound problem on effects, like when they level up or use magic.

Policenaughts jap patched also works now :)

Good times

Jap SOTN is so good, damn near perfect.

MooTheKow said:
I'd like to point out that as someone who doesn't seem to contribute ANY features what-so-ever that DaveC whines a whole heck of a lot. Notaz -- Thank you very much for your efforts and I'm sorry you have to deal with people who never seem to be happy with what you do. I appreciate all the time you put into this project and I think your prioritizations of features and fixes so far have been fantastic.
No features whatsoever? Care to back that up with some facts? How do you know? For your information many features I have suggested HAVE been implemented in various emus etc. They made using them a better experience. You don't know it but some of the features you use in Pandora apps were maybe suggested by me. You seem to be the one "whining". You are also putting words in my mouth saying I am "never happy" or whatever. If you don't suggest or point out bugs/issues things may not be noticed or improved. I guess everyone here pointing out that XYZ game isn't working or stutters etc is "whining" and "never happy" as well. No, I can't code but what features have you contributed?

stustaff said:
@Chaser what is your set up for running vandal hearts? I still have sound problem on effects, like when they level up or use magic.

3 Things. Firstly what region and format are you using? I noticed you were using a .bin copy (you corrected a corrupted one). I'm using a PAL .img version made with CloneCD with the sub channel data included (trial version also works).

Settings are PAL, 800mhz, Bios enabled, default sound plug in and it seems to have good audio, cutscene voice and no bad sound effects in game. I also just ran it on my PS2 as my PS3 has the YLOD to compare it, as its been years since I played it and I never got too far then, as other games stole my attention. I shall give it a proper play now its Pandora friendly.

Secondly I hadn't played beyond the first battle, now I've gone to the church. In R2/R3 there was immediately apparent audio dischords getting stuck and playing for prolonged periods plus odd sounds on battle. That all appears to have gone now. With HLE in R4 you get that dischord from the first ingame footage.

Third, I'm not using any special settings for any of the games I've tested, as most of them are lost on me anyway. Simply Bios or HLE and some level of OC. I also make sure the PAL/NTSC setting is correct or experiment with it, as for example NTSC Alien Resurrection loses about 15-20fps if set to PAL by accident and I think theres some others that benefit with the wrong setting. I've also found speed/compatability differences with different formats (bin/img/mdf/iso) of the same games, aswell as differences in what software was used to rip an img version (in my case either Alc 120%, or CloneCD) Heck knows why!

I did however just experience that with Bios enabled, you lose the voice over and audio of the intro sequence. Then it works just fine again. Like you with this game, finding you got a black screen when it previously worked, I got that with Destruction Derby 1, as my son was playing it yesterday and today it wont work at all. Weird.

Sorry to waffle.

Back