Release Pcsx-Rearmed

notaz said:
DaveC said:
BTW has anyone got Einhander to work? Maybe I have a bad dump, did anyone else test it? I was told it didn't work due to BIOS need but now that the emu supports BIOS it still locks up for me. I try to run at 600 MHz with BIOS on. It does work with PSX4Pandora so I don't know.
It's a recompiler issue, wait for next release. The game runs slow though when passes the load screen though.
Ok thanks for the info.

Does it run slower than PSX4All, and if so what would be the reason? I ran it at 600 MHz with PSX4all and it was smooth enough to be playable but the music was very stuttery. I really don't play it because of the stuttery sound but it seems a good test game.

Thanks again for the great and continued effort with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated the compatibility list with a few more games.

BTW, Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets(PAL) works! Seriously, that game was notorious on PC for hanging on the intro screens due to some weird sfx/memory card issue, but here it runs great. Looks good too if you use the builtin graphics plug-in(the psx4all one looks really bad in this case).

Also, I saw that Need for Speed III was down as not working, but if you're really patient and keeps hammering start and X, it is possible to get in-game sometimes. Still not playable though because while you're on the startline, it takes early a full minute realtime for each second gametime while the race countdown is happening!

meandu229 said:
hey mvickers got voices working perfect
use built in spu
set interpolation to simple and set the wait for cpu to on (think its just those two)

Wow! thanks working perfectly now. you da man!

DaveC said:
Does it run slower than PSX4All, and if so what would be the reason? I ran it at 600 MHz with PSX4all and it was smooth enough to be playable but the music was very stuttery. I really don't play it because of the stuttery sound but it seems a good test game.
It's mostly the same here and because of the way this game does audio it needs to run fullspeed for good sound. As for why it's slow it needs to be profiled, but I'm still busy dealing with compatibility problems.

Lobo said:
Also, I saw that Need for Speed III was down as not working, but if you're really patient and keeps hammering start and X, it is possible to get in-game sometimes. Still not playable though because while you're on the startline, it takes early a full minute realtime for each second gametime while the race countdown is happening!
It works ok for me with real bios, only does what you describe with HLE for me.

I found some VERY weird bug today.
Finally wanted to continue with Suikoden 2 (yay!) but could only play until the next boss monster.

The following WEIRD thing happens to me:

The first round of the boss fight works fine. I have 3 characters using special magic (rune magic).
In the second round, while selecting what each character should do, I select the rune magic again, but when I should select the target for the magic, the PCSX-Rearmed main menu pops up!
I can select "Resume game" and it resumes - but only for half a second and then it goes back to the menu. I can repeat this over and over.
Tried this with different GFX plugins - always happened.

Something in the game seems to be triggering the menu, no idea why.

One other issue I have is that very often PCSX Rearmed doesn't start. I have to delete its config and then it starts again.
Nothing special in the log, it just goes immediately back to the main menu.

Last thing:
notaz, how have you implemented filter selection?
If I select "none" it still has the default (blurry) filter on.
I'm on latest version (HF5 Beta) which combined all filter files into one, but if you're using the op_videofir script, the commandline is exactly the same.

Impressive emulator... Spyro the Dragon is fun :D Great great work, thanks :)

sabregolly said:
Creating an .iso from a psx disc using dd (linux disc dump) appears to be a well known problem, and using AcetoneISO to convert my .bin file results in a 'unsupported/invalid CD image'. Never mind... I'll keep trying as notaz releases new versions!
use the cdrdao method
Code:
cdrdao read-cd --device 0,0,0 --driver generic-mmc-raw --read-raw --datafile GameName.bin GameName.cue
It's super easy just make sure you get your device right by finding it out with.
Code:
cdrdao scanbus

Also remember to do this as root or with sudo.

Here are some tests I've tried with the new version. Sorry I don't know if any of these are duplicates.

Road Rash
Now loads and works just fine.

Formula 1 1995
Now works :) Has a much less noticeable 'give up and re-render' effect than on Zodd's emulator. The game is most definitely playable now[sup]*[/sup]

Formula 1 2000:
No change: Shows copyright info, then loading progress bar fills to full and game crashes out

Monkey Hero:
Still locks Pandora after skipping past the intro video

[sup]*[/sup]Pending nub support!

This emulator has convinced me that there are some fundamental flaws with Zodd's emulator which were making it run slow. With that emulator I rarely saw performance gains as I increased the CPU speed. With PCSX-ReARMed you get exactly what you expect when messing about with speeds.

Hi :)

I'd like to say that, contrary to what is written in the compatibility chart, Driver (Driver [SLUS-00842]) works with the latest beta 4 ~30fps @800MHz (I'm using HF5)

It crashes if you select "play again" though, but it's a known bug which affects other emulators too, like WiiSX (for the Wii obviously)...

Silent Hill (Silent Hill [SLUS-00707]) crashes the dynarec, but works with the interpreter (too slowly though, and with some graphical glitches).

Bye, and thanks for this great emulator !

Magic Sam

EvilDragon said:
I found some VERY weird bug today.
Finally wanted to continue with Suikoden 2 (yay!) but could only play until the next boss monster.

The following WEIRD thing happens to me:

The first round of the boss fight works fine. I have 3 characters using special magic (rune magic).
In the second round, while selecting what each character should do, I select the rune magic again, but when I should select the target for the magic, the PCSX-Rearmed main menu pops up!
I can select "Resume game" and it resumes - but only for half a second and then it goes back to the menu. I can repeat this over and over.

Something in the game seems to be triggering the menu, no idea why.

One other issue I have is that very often PCSX Rearmed doesn't start. I have to delete its config and then it starts again.

Last thing:
I'm on latest version (HF5 Beta) which combined all filter files into one, but if you're using the op_videofir script, the commandline is exactly the same.

Impressive emulator... Spyro the Dragon is fun :D Great great work, thanks :)
Must be HF5.

The emu always starts for me and the filter settings work.

I hope HF5 doesn't break other things too.

@ Notaz,

Do you think this emu will or is possible to be full speed at 600 MHz or is that not possible with current hardware? I am curious how the PSP at 200odd Mhz can be full speed. Is that because the CPU is similar or does the PSP have a superior hardware layout ( for PSX) or something?

DaveC said:
Do you think this emu will or is possible to be full speed at 600 MHz or is that not possible with current hardware? I am curious how the PSP at 200odd Mhz can be full speed. Is that because the CPU is similar or does the PSP have a superior hardware layout ( for PSX) or something?

IIRC, The PSP's PSX emulator does not work for all games.

-God Ginrai

If it saves game before the disc swap it should work just by loading disc 2,
If memory serves MGS doesn't save, therefore a savegame or state would be needed to start disc 2 until a ISO/Disc swap method is implemented. I had a similar issue when playing on the PSP before disc swap was available.

mvickers03 said:
If memory serves MGS doesn't save, therefore a savegame or state would be needed to start disc 2 until a ISO/Disc swap method is implemented. I had a similar issue when playing on the PSP before disc swap was available.
so ill have to load up my mem card on pc play into disc 2 then save and copy back to pandy? that the easiest?

and no mgs dont save

meandu229 said:
mvickers03 said:
so ill have to load up my mem card on pc play into disc 2 then save and copy back to pandy? that the easiest?

and no mgs dont save
AFAIK this is the only way, it may be possible to use gameshark codes to trick the game, I don't think this is supported yet.

Tested German Grandia (PAL) - playable, but awful... crashes the emulator on Intro Movie if you don't disable XA decoding.

Voice Acting repeats itself and overlaps all the time.
Ruins the voice acting, other than that stable and fullspeed (40-50fps).

Will retest Grandia NTSC with XA decoding off tomorrow to see if it now also passes the intro movie.

Magic Sam said:
Silent Hill (Silent Hill [SLUS-00707]) crashes the dynarec, but works with the interpreter (too slowly though, and with some graphical glitches).

Hm, I ran it yesterday night with dynarec and it seemed to work okay.

DaveC said:
Must be HF5.
The emu always starts for me and the filter settings work.

The filter selection probably, probably doesn't use the standard filter script (though it probably should do that in the future), but the not-starting also happened with earlier versions on my Pandora and that was way before I released a first testing version of HF5, so that can't be it.

I hope HF5 doesn't break other things too.

That's why it's currently in Betatesting and not released. It has a reason it's beta.

Last edited:
Hi ED :)
EvilDragon said:
Magic Sam said:

Hm, I ran it yesterday night with dynarec and it seemed to work okay.

Weird...what are your settings please ?

I also have to report that Colin Mc Rae Rally 2.0 [SLUS-01222]is unplayable on the latest beta, everything is messed up in-game (menus are fine though), it used to play very well before.

EDIT: CMR2 works fine if you play with HLE, not with scph1001.bin

On a side note, ED, did you receive the PM about my Pandora ?

Bye and thanks !

Magic Sam

@Sabregolly, I hope Bryce Leo's suggestion gets you sorted for Devil Dice.

@ Prometheus, cheers. Its daughter 3 and child 5, as I've 4 under 8 already, the eldest twin lad is a demon game player and loves the Pandora among his many systems available.

@ Lobo, cheers for the MoH info, shall rip a bin version instead of the old mdf I have.

@ Magic Sam & ED, I get the same issue with Silent Hill (U) in img format. I presume ED is using bin/cue perhaps?

@Notaz, glad it helps and sorry its taken ages (still not done but RL :)and I suck with spreadsheets)

I've added in any additions to the list that are here but not already on it. Thanks to all for all the submissions.

EvilDragon said:
Never seen that, give me a savestate. Could be caused by overclock - as said the limit is lower here than usual because of use of NEON.

EvilDragon said:
Never seen this either, I need to see your config that causes this.

EvilDragon said:
As said on IRC I'll fix it up so that it plays nice with the new script.

DaveC said:
Maybe, but not every game I guess (not saying I can do it though). PSP has an advantage of low level access to it's GPU, so it can convert PSX drawing commands in to PSP display lists and run them in parallel (maybe something similar can be done with GLES, I don't know much about that). I can guess the PSP is doing most audio emulation on it's second CPU which has it's dedicated RAM and should be good for this job. Maybe some other tricks, I wonder if anyone did any analysis of that POPS emu.

notaz said:
Maybe, but not every game I guess (not saying I can do it though). PSP has an advantage of low level access to it's GPU, so it can convert PSX drawing commands in to PSP display lists and run them in parallel (maybe something similar can be done with GLES, I don't know much about that). I can guess the PSP is doing most audio emulation on it's second CPU which has it's dedicated RAM and should be good for this job. Maybe some other tricks, I wonder if anyone did any analysis of that POPS emu.

hlide has looked at it, you could ask him.

I think there will always be much more overhead with GL ES on Pandora than the GPU on PSP just by nature of the drivers and architecture. PSP has the further advantage of supporting PS1's texture formats and so theoretically not needing texture caching. It can also do a little better with GTE emulation using VFPU, but I don't think they ever employed the kinds of flags calculating tricks hlide came up with. Calculation of flags and other values that often go unused is probably the big price of GTE emulation and I imagine it can be sped up with some simple liveness analysis and versions not doing redundant work.

PS1's GPU shouldn't actually take that much to emulate w/o enhancement in software. The DSP could probably do a really good job at this. Is everyone testing with the peops driver instead of Una-i's? Because that's probably a ton slower, and not just due to being more accurate. Even without DSP one optimized with ARM ASM + NEON could probably do nicely, although for texture mapped rendering with NEON you have to do multiple passes.

Back