Pdf And Html Viewer Chance

nihil-00

ok: so atari had(has) pdf viewers (mypdf/ghostscript..[although i think mypdf never get released.. ghostscript DID]) and html browsers...
SO
is there any chance of getting those programs to run on gp32's atary emulator?
needing atari experts here :)
if someone gets them to run, could you please post the binaries and the stuff needed to run the program (ghostscript is GNU software, no piracy here.. and browsers,like wetscape, are open source), with some instructions here?
strange nobodyever thinked about that (maybe i missed something...?)

if those programs cannot be run upon atari st emulator, anyone knowing any other interesting software gp could run trough some kind of emulator?

is there an emulator for an atari computer? i thougt there are only some for their Konsoles..... and a native ghostscript viewer would be much better.. and should be possible..

cn|tux posted on Apr 3 2004 at 10:42 PM said:
is there an emulator for an atari computer? i thougt there are only some for their Konsoles..... and a native ghostscript viewer would be much better.. and should be possible..
Yes, there is an Atari ST emulator called Castaway, and a mighty fine emulator it is too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have that problem with all emulators that emulate systems that can't natively read Fat filesystems (or emulators that don't support reading of Fat filesystems). The thing is, the ST used the PC format for disks. DD disks, by the way (720K). So it shouldn't be a major chore.

the whole problem is you must make a virtual disk to use it in the atari ST u can't just transfere html to the gp32

uhm i didn't consider this problem...
maybe skeezix can do something about this...

anyways, someone posting direct download links for the programs?
and any help installing?
i mean, i'm no expert at atari st os (and i think a lot of people here isn't,too), so i don't know what are the requirements for any of those proggies..

i think ghostscript should run with tos, but...

needing a faq :)

ok, had an idea:
skeezix, could you please implement in the castaway menu an utility to convert regular file(s) on the smc to a floppy image usable with the emulator? (don't you already implemented that for the savegames?)

that would be great :)

I used GHOSTSCRIPT in the late 80's or so on ST's to allow them to print Postscript to non-Postscript printers (if I recall correctly).

I don't know what has been done to GHOSTSCRIPT since, but PDF's were "but a dream..." back when I first saw GHOSTSCRIPT.

well that would'nt be the problem, since there are lot of pdf2ps converters.. and i think this is the less lossy conversion possible...

Interesting.. a routine to convert a file into a disk image? It would be cool to build in some options to convert from/to disk image. I've never looked into it.. it'd be a bit of work to write out a fat table and such. Theres apps around to do it, so I wonder if theres any sample source I can use..

As to PDF or postscript vbiewer and such, it shoudl be doable, but wouldnt' be pretty ;)

ie: Back in the day I used ghostscript to render postscript, but it wasn't really fast and ate a lot of RAM; it shoudl work in CaSTaway, though I'm only emulating a 1MB ST. Should work.

I've not worked with "modern" ST stuff, so a PDF viewer I woudln't know about.. ie: It coudl depend on much more recent TOS versions, or require hardweare found in later machines like the STE or Hades or Falcon etc.. let me know :)

jeff

Back