Tutorial: How to change the default Documentation reader from Arora to Midori

Blue Protoman

As of Hotfix 6 Alpha 1, this tutorial is no longer necessary, nor is it possible due to the removal of both Arora and Midori from the firmware.

Title. Like I said, Midori is not as great as other browsers, but at least it can view documentation correctly. For me, Arora, 99 times out of 100, fails to open a simple .txt file. Not good. But Midori works in that regard.

First, I'd like to thank kloplop321, zLoud, and Neelix for their help and support.

Step 1

Using Thunar (the file browser), go to "/etc/pandora/conf". Right-click, select "Open Terminal Here".

Step 2

Type this in the Terminal;

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /etc/pandora/conf/desktop

You will be asked for your password; type it in. Note that unlike most password fields, no characters will appear; not even asterisks or dots or something. Rest assured that your input is being acknowledged!

What this command does is allows access to the file. Everything in the NAND is off-limits except for the "home" folder and its contents. Typing in those words breaks the lock, but only on the given file.

Step 3

There is a line near the bottom that looks like this;

Code:
viewer      ../../../usr/bin/arora # sh-script or prog to run.  Use wrapper sh if needed.

Replace "arora" with "midori". If you'd like, you can use "mousepad" instead. Just remember that some Readmes come as HTML files, which are annoying to read when translated into plain text! Save the file, and close it. The changes you made should now work. If not, try rebooting. You can now use Midori to read documentation!

And can someone PLEASE add this tweak and my automatic nub-mode-changing tutorial to the Tweaks thread? I've messaged Gruso several times, but no response!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would any one want to respond to a ADD Super Troll?

I have to speak up in Blue's defense here. Yes, when he first got here (and before he got his Pandora) he was highly annoying, extremely off-topic 90% of the time and blatantly attention seeking.

After some warnings and 'advice' from some of use he has improved dramatically. I no longer see him in the same light. His abundant energy and enthusiasm seems to be channeled in a constructive manner - His contributions have certainly helped me more than once. I regard him as a valuable member of these forums now and would be sorry to see him go.

Give the guy a chance! After all, who doesn't seek a bit of attention nown and then?

I see no reason why *not* to put this tutorial and his nub-mode-changing one in the tips & tweaks thread.

I've messaged Gruso several times, but no response!

I think he's taking the long weekend off, which would mean that he won't be back before Wednesday 'coz he's in Australia. At the least, he hasn't been on since the 18th, so son't get too impatient.

SONY: Those kind of posts help nobody.

Very cool! Thanks, Blue. :) Been looking to change that myself, so that guide hit the spot. :lol:

I suggest adding a step 2.5: Open /etc/pandora/conf/desktop in your favorite editor and changing step 1 to just opening a terminal, it is unnecessary to cd into /etc/pandora/conf.

And I would rather do it like this, so know permissions are edited:

Open Terminal over the main menu->"Terminal"

Enter this:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/pandora/conf/desktop

Press enter, type your password (you don't see what you type, no asterisks or something), press enter again.

Mouspad will open the file, now you need to edit it.

<Blue protomans step 3>

Click save.

Or even faster and easier:

Code:
sudo sed -i 's/arora/midori/' /etc/pandora/conf/desktop

Why would anyone want to respond to a ADD Super Troll?
I first read ADD as (the verb to) add. And there /is/ an "add super troll" here. But it isn't Blue Protoman.

Aha... now we just need a quick-loading, multi format doc viewer... or several quick-loading viewers that can be launched via one script(i.e. script figures out which app to load.)

Try installing pnd_utils. It's got pnd_assoc inside it which may help with what you seek.

I agree that Arora is terrible. It worked for me at first, but it was very slow. Now I mostly get Failed to load errors. Anyway, I switched the default viewer to Midori but I am having a problem with Midori where in addition to the document it's supposed to open there is always another tab opened that reads:

Error - ard

The page 'ard' couldn't be loaded.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Also I'd love to hear any suggestions for a reader better than Arora and Midori.

I dunno about the "ard" tab. Maybe Mousepad would work in theory, but you'd then have to deal with .html docs (of which there are quite a few) looking messy.

I agree that Arora is terrible. It worked for me at first, but it was very slow. Now I mostly get Failed to load errors. Anyway, I switched the default viewer to Midori but I am having a problem with Midori where in addition to the document it's supposed to open there is always another tab opened that reads:

Error - ard

The page 'ard' couldn't be loaded.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Also I'd love to hear any suggestions for a reader better than Arora and Midori.
I had the same problem. I fixed it by adding -a to the viewer_args line in the desktop file.

Back