Pen And Paper

namco said:
Just wondering (probably going to get flamed but I'll ask anyhow), but is anyone here a roleplayer, as in the table-top dice rolling sort?
I am; I got started late (1992) and played for a while although I haven't found a good group with which to play in my area for quite some time. I prefer AD&D 2nd Edition but also have interest in Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu, D&D 3rd Edition, Ravenloft, Rolemaster, and any number of other open-source gaming systems that I find on the 'net.

How about you, what systems do you play? Have you ever tried the online versions of pen and paper like OpenRPG or Fantasy Grounds?

BTW, if anyone feels the need to flame, you can always use this +1 Banded Mail of Lesser Fire Resistance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I started about 2001, my major influences in RPGing were the kid's game show Knightmare and my mum was a roleplayer herself.

So far, I've played:
Exalted
Legend of the 5 Rings
Space 1889
Abberant
Cyberpunk
Vampire: The Masquerade
AD&D 2nd/3rd and 3.5 Ed
Tales from the Floating Vagabond
Hunter: The Reckoning
Star Wars (the version before the Saga Edition)
Deadlands
Call of Cthulhu
Starship Thingy - my mate's homebrew game

I own:
Judge Dredd D20
AD&D 2nd and 3rd Ed
Qin: The Warring States
Zero
Fates Worse Than Death
Exalted
Star Wars - 2nd Ed and Saga Ed
Hunter: The Reckoning
Star Trek - Decipher

I usually play with a roleplay group on Tuesday nights, and usually we do have D&D running somewhere but there is always someone playing other games.

So it isn't always D&D based.

Yeah, I started playing when I was about 12.
I played Realms of Arcania ("Das schwarze Auge"), D&D, Vampire and recently Scion and Dark Heresy. We also played a system a friend developed (called Exodus). Surprisingly good one too.

Back in the old days we used the Rogue Trader to write our own Warhammer 40k roleplay.. bloody good too. (Mixed in with a bit of Space Hulk slot-together corridors and an assortment of citadel miniatures to represent the group on the table).

I used to be into the Palladium games, as well as Shadowrun, but these days I just can't find anyone to play with. I'd love to get a campaign going with a few people but it seems like nobody has the time for it. It's too bad because I always had a lot of fun doing it. I still have all my old source books.

I never cared for Vampire, though, despite the username.

7vOOqZZ.png

I had a D&D group... but then they mostly became married...

Now I'm just LoneWolf-ing because I have no master

Still in a bi-monthly D&D campaign of 4th ed that started almost 10 years ago when that release first came out. Honestly ready to move on to a different system.

I've played Red Box , 2nd edition, 3rd edition, 3.5 edition as well. I also liked the Call of Cthulhu with the D20 system and the Star Wars roleplaying (circa 2000). I also played some of the White Wolf games. Mostly Werewolf, and once Vampire: The Masquerade.

Lately I've been enjoying Fate of The Norns: Ragnarok It's a pretty cool game, instead of dice you pull runes from a bag. It's a bit refreshing if dice hate you.

Last edited:
Still in a bi-monthly D&D campaign of 4th ed that started almost 10 years ago when that release first came out. Honestly ready to move on to a different system.
Try The Dark Eye (orig. "Das Schwarze Auge") instead, everybody I knew who played both at some point said that it's superior to D&D in every way but just not as well known in the US because of its German origin.
[doublepost=1481149408,1481136751][/doublepost]

xD

fated-0012.png

fated-0022.png

fated-0033.png

fated-0041.png

fated-0051.png

Source: https://mythjae.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/fated-3/

I am, though I haven't been playing much lately.
I've played many games but I'm not much into medieval games and don't like D&D.
I was a big fan of Shadowrun (well I still am, but I've stopped following the official line near the end of SR4), I've written lots of stuff for it, culminating with a webcomic and a 200+ pages document about media, style, daily life and other similar concerns.

Only ever played Hero Quest IRL once, but I'd love to do more (online) RP. Beats shouting at teammates in Battlefield by a wide margin.

I remember, as my Colleques at Boyscouts are from highshools, whyle i was from a middle shool, that they played a lot pen and paper and trading card games..
It was also DSA, and i liked to sit whit them in the tend, and listen to the adventures.. i got also a charakter sheet, but ditnt played much..
I was more in Trading Card Games, and i still have my 2 Magic the Gathering Decks..
These whole Pen and Paper, and Tabletop Thing was more a thing for the higher studends..

My fiancée's father runs DCC games which is always amusing. I still wish to have something humorous happen that's a bit screwy, but I have yet to find a DM who would allow such a thing who isn't close family. I've seen ample opportunities to be absurd in a game yet the people around me probably wouldn't enjoy the chaos I would love to see.

Favourite character death I've had was my mechforge or whatever it's called losing his mind at the other people in our party bickering about the depth of a hole. So my character grabs his head starts screaming and dives into the hole killing himself. It took 45 seconds for him to hit the bottom. They at least figured out how deep it was after that.

Back