People who can't/couldn't overclock

true karma

I know this has been talked about loads of times, but as one of those people who doesn't seem to be able to overclock above 133 MHZ and with all the overclocking stuff hapenning recently I thought I'd check some things.

1.Anyone know a definete reason why some can and some can't?

2.How likely are batteries to be the problem?

3.Will buying a PSU (adaptor) allow overclockig?

Batteries can be the problem, but not likely if they are fully charged. I can play at 160Mhz with batteries, but even with a power adaptor I cannot reach 166Mhz, unfortunately (No idea about the numbers inbetween)

I'm sure this has been talked over a couple of times.
how do you know you can overclock? does the gp just crash when you're trying?
i read the gp could take harm from overclocking. Can i risk it?

qgi posted on Sep 1 2003 said:
I'm sure this has been talked over a couple of times.
how do you know you can overclock? does the gp just crash when you're trying?
i read the gp could take harm from overclocking. Can i risk it?
Since hardly any application runs at the default clockspeed (40 or 60Mhz, cannot remember), overclocking is a must. If it does not work, it simply crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i tried snsemu clocking 156Mhz but my gp just froze. my batteries were full (i'm using 210mA rechargables). I also tried scummvm but had to use the 133 Mhz version. could it be the cpu-quality? some series will some won't?

Well, I'm one of those poor unfortunates who can't overclock beyond 150. Anything 150 and below works perfectly, but 156 freezes after a variable amount of time with a hideous buzz and 166 freezes instantly. This happens regardless of power source. I haven't flashed my firmware; I've heard rumours that this might help for some people.

hmm me too :D
my gp32 runs perfekt at 150 (tested it with a hacked Snes Emu, Doom V9 and caSTaway for some minutes 10 - 30 without problmes) , but at 156 it freezes after 1-5 Seconds, 166 immediately. hmm im intrested at what clockspeed really it crashes (153.. ord 155 :) ), perhaps someone can make an emu with every clockspeed.

At the end, 150 i think is OK, ST runs great without frameskipping and also Doom with music is smoother than at 133 (full speed i think), and Snes Emu runs at somegames now fullspeed, so if the emu authors still work on their emus to get the best fps at 133, and dont stop the dev because its running at 166 good enough, i wont buy a new gp32 just for overclocking.
Bad would be if some emus only run at 166 well or even only at this clockspeed... i hope that this never happens

bye

I have important information on the overclocking issue if anyone must know...

When I first got my GP32, it was able to overclock to maximum 166MHz (did that when I installed PCEngine from day 1) and then after awhile I read those "rumors" about screen damages about the overclocking so I stopped..

When I read the "experiment" Craig set to see if the rumor was true I was encouraged to try it out when playing some overclocking-enabled games, but I could only go as high as 156MHz.. 166 ALWAYS froze my GP32, even with full batteries (Duracell Plus)

Weird or what? :unsure:

currently i cant get over 133, but i didnt try much things to get it overclocked.

So, i have to change batteries and/or firmware, maybe then i can get past 133.

Yeah mine changed too. i always used to play 156 on full screen but i cant anymore after i flashed my firmware :blink:. I can run at 156 on anything that doesnt stretch to the full screen size tho. like final match tenis on pce or the snesemu156.

From reading the posts on the GP32emu board the basic conclusion Craigx reached was that Gamepark always try and find the cheapest supplier of RAM chips, so sometimes the type of RAM they are supplied and put into GP32s is of a high quality, and is able to overclock, other times however, like when I bought mine they used lower quality RAM which is not able to overclock as much, or at all for that matter. I wish I could buy some better quality RAM and replace it with what's in my GP32, but I haven't got the ability to do it.

Back