PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

I question the value of the "normal positioning" on a keyboard too small to be used as a normal keyboard. Are people really that accustomed to "normal positioning" in thumb typing keyboards?

Besides, the "normal positioning" is partially wrong layout for me (I'm used to spanish keyboard layout). Probably the same for people in countries speaking other languages.

And finally, there's nothing wrong with adjusting to the new layout. Not everything needs to be exactly like every user is accustomed to. That's impossible to achieve anyway, unless everyone has the exact preferences for keyboard layout, language, OS, etc.

@vcoleiro1, you do understand that the Pyra keyboard, while based on the US keyboard, is also made to allow German to be typed somewhat easily, and we also attempted to accomodate other languages and uses as much as possible with what we were given to work with, right?

I'm good with the Pyra keyboard layout. Just as I have been fine with the Pandora keyboard for years. I get used to using a certain device. It becomes an extension of me over a short period of time IF I like functioning with said device. The keyboard wars are over. The Pyra/Pandora Team did it BETTER than anyone else. I can attest to that. I've tried hundreds of mobile devices. I look forward to the GPD Win, but I know what I'll get now, in that cramped keyboard. Good luck, you typists.

@Grench

Lets see

1) the fullstop normally on the right of the M key on the right side. Is now on the left of the Z key on the other side of the keyboard.

2) the comma normally on the right of the M key on the right side. Is now on the left of the Z key on the other side of the keyboard

3) the "<" normally on the right of the M key on the right side. Is now on the left of the Z key on the other side of the keyboard

4) the ">" normally on the right of the M key on the right side. Is now on the left of the Z key on the other side of the keyboard

5) the "/" normally on the right of the M key on the right side. Is now on the left of the Z key on the other side of the keyboard

6) the ";" normally on the right of the M key on the right side. Is now on the left of the Z key on the other side of the keyboard

7) "=" and "-" where on the top row of keys on the right side next to "0", now they are on the bottom row on the left side oin the Z and X keys.

8) "?" is on the A key rather than on the right side of the keyboard rather than next to shift on the right side, It's also on a different row than normal

9) the ' and " keys, again on the opposite side of the keyboard to where they are meant to be

10) the + key normally on the top row , on the far right. Is now on the left side on the S key.

etc etc

And so on and so forth. Sure, if there are pairs they are generally together but they are nowhere near their proper placement. The placement of the punctuation and symbol keys are all in non standard and often completely opposite positions - the exception being the symbols etc on the number keys. If you use a standard keyboard and then use the Pyra KB, then a large number of the symbol and punctuation keys are not anywhere near where they are meant to be. Which is the issue I'm referring to. As I said, I understand why that is and except the trade off for why it was done. But it is still a negative.

Yes. There were fewer keys available left to right than on a 'normal' keyboard. Many keys could not be 'on top' and had to move to the Fn layer of the keyboard. The physical key count, placement and the double-wide space placement was already set in stone.

The dangling key to the right of the space could only be Fn. This meant that any common characters that needed ease of use on the Fn layer needed to be on the left side of the keyboard to make that two-thumb combination easier.

Many of the common English punctuation marks, normally on the right side of the keyboard, then needed to move to the left side to avoid thumb stretch. English was given priority, so the German symbols got the less favorable placement on the right side of the Fn layer.

It was decided that Fn+shift+key should be avoided. Although it is a logical extension within the Fn layer, the decision was made. This meant breaking key pairs. [ and { would no longer be able to share the same key on the Fn layer as people found the markings to be too busy and potentially confusing. However, someone (_wb_?) came up with an idea of maintaining the key pairs over/under within the Fn layer.

The blocks of keys were maintained wherever possible. This meant that the keys associatedd in sets:
`~
-_ +=
[{ ]} \|
;: '"
,< .> /?
would be maintained and kept with their associated set as well as possible with the base symbol for each key on one row and it's shifted character one row above it within the Fn layer.

EVERY symbol placement on the Pyra's keyboard was vetted for logic AND usability. There was no 'scattering to the wind'. What you're describing as a negative above is actually a very positive outcome. Yes, there was compromise to fit within the constraints of the platform and augmentations to enhance usability. It is also likely the best pocketable device English thumb keyboard layout ever brought into production.

71621696.jpg

too bad we already did with the Pyra.

and to think we all got to be a part of making something this awesome... one of the more proud achievements of my life... :)

(that's probably a bad sign ...)

Last edited:
Poll

L3 and R3 Location

Dear friends! Today we'd like to hear your opinion as to where the L3 and R3 buttons should be located: either on the upper end of the device near the triggers, or on the back side, separate from other control elements. Please make your choice.

Previous POLL result:

Hardware Keyboard VS Second Screen

1 692 votes VS 1 211 votes

mFmwkwB.png
Well I guess my 15 or so votes for the keyboard counted.
On the small chance this does actually turn into a thing I want a keyboard plus I really wanna see just what keyboard they'd end up with.
Annnnnddddd talking about poor design choices, 3 low profile buttons in a row seems like a amazing idea.

I voted a few times for keyboard. There isn't really a good choice in the current poll. I would pick clickable sticks/nubs.

I voted a few times for keyboard. There isn't really a good choice in the current poll. I would pick clickable sticks/nubs.
Ah but I don't think Nadir's patented retractable sticks are capable of doing that though.
Although I'm not entirely sure anyone knows what they can do anyways.

Is there really a point voting for features in a fictional device used as a quick money grab?

Time is money. But what I meant is that we have polls that are totally pointless for anything other than the amusement of those that create and take them. I am not PGS any of my money, but I will still do their polls. If they go with my preferences they probably won't sell many units. I am waiting for them to ask if they should use something else instead of windows. If I get to vote for Linux, especially a distro I like, I will probably vote a rew times. BSD would also be fun. If they did eventually make and sell these things with *nix, and the reviews were decent (and they use a sane keyboard layout) I might consider picking one up. Most likely I would use that money for a Pyra upgrade, though.

Time is money. But what I meant is that we have polls that are totally pointless for anything other than the amusement of those that create and take them. I am not PGS any of my money, but I will still do their polls. If they go with my preferences they probably won't sell many units. I am waiting for them to ask if they should use something else instead of windows. If I get to vote for Linux, especially a distro I like, I will probably vote a rew times. BSD would also be fun. If they did eventually make and sell these things with *nix, and the reviews were decent (and they use a sane keyboard layout) I might consider picking one up. Most likely I would use that money for a Pyra upgrade, though.
There will never be such a poll, you know ^^ I don't really think anybody who likes Linux will be onto PGS.

I know, but just like polls that don't matter, we can talk about things that we want and won't get. Like other new Linux palmtops.

Back