PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

Faust

Very Active Member
Hi guys,

I read some news about PGS, it sounds really like a competitor to the GPD WIN for gaming.

"Hello, dear forum users. Soon we are planning to announce the PGS – a portable gaming console with Windows onboard (also comes with Android in Dual boot mode), which will be capable to run all games for PC, including those of AAA class of the current generation.

Currently we are analyzing and testing a prototype of the device and want to be sure that our project is as best as possible, before continuing to its manufacturing and realization stages. To understand that, we are asking for your help, tips, ideas and suggestions."

Here the website to find more informations:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/677593-portable-console-for-all-pc-games-pgs/

Official website:

http://pgslab.com/

The promoting video :

I'm a bit sceptical, but it doesn't hurt to have a look.

Not a clamshell and no keyboard. Everything is stacked against this for getting my rupees.

Uplifting music always lends gravitas to stuff. "Hey its gonna change your life."

It's a competitor for the win I guess- it looks nice enough I suppose. The adjustable screen is cool.

There are some interesting explantions for things, like:
The main materials of PGS are ultra durable plastic and aluminum. Metal is used for all the elements, which require metal, while plastic - for all the elements, which require plastic. A simple and elegant approach.

I'd like to see them play a shooter with those analog sticks/nubs. I get cramps thinking about it.

Not a clamshell and no keyboard. Everything is stacked against this for getting my rupees.
Actually the second small screen can be used as several things like touch keyboard, touchpad, etc... I know that it's not as good as a physical keyboard but it's still a nice feature.

Oh yes! This matches and sometimes tops specs Pyra specs (from battery to RAM *(well it is Windows, it NEEDS the RAM.... AND battery for all those GPU's)). Able to run fallout 3/4 at decent fps...

E-ink! Love the e-ink! So many posibilities...
All we will get are some colored lights. (which is nice too... start compiling, when done, blink blue, close the Pyra, and wait for it to blink...)
And as Faust points out: you can design your own keyboard on the touchpad... so finally an ANYKEY!

The joysticks are nice, click in, click out. Not sure if that works when playing frantically. And I agree with Djoga'Ro, not well balanced at all.

Pricepoint is not bad also... with dualboot to android. So it really can take a bite out of the GPD's Win's market... targetting the same gamer/windows audience.
Pyra is save though, it is a different market... barely, as it also features a phone, it seems... (probably no software for that yet, as they do not boast it)

edit: I probably would not be able to phone while in windows, and need to reboot to android to get a phone?

Screen is smaller though 5.5inch. Which helps with the low batterylife. Heat will be a problem (they probably use all that metal to get the heat out... )

Audio is overkill... 5.1 wow... sit in the middle of speakers, connect it to cables, and play away. Personally I have never needed more than stereo (and maybe some binaureal sound) so I can play everywhere... Pity they do not show the other side, with more connectors to see...

not bad... not bad... but still "prototype".... nice times to live in...

Last edited:
Actually the second small screen can be used as several things like touch keyboard, touchpad, etc... I know that it's not as good as a physical keyboard but it's still a nice feature.
That is already a step down for me from using something like an Android slider with a keyboard. It will probably be great for those that want a smartphone first, but also want it to be able to play windows games. That main display seems a bit much (itty bitty text and such) for a pocketable device running windows 10.

This and the GPD Win make me appreciate the OMAP5 even more. Going ARM makes the Pyra stand out a little more (along with less RAM, less internal storage, and an OS no one has ever heard of :p). At least they went for 802.11ac.

They say they have a prototype, but so much is still in the air about specs I highly doubt that.

And as Faust points out: you can design your own keyboard on the touchpad... so finally an ANYKEY!
In need of an any-key? Look for keyboardio. ;) (The other thing I want to get me this year - well, hopefully.)
[doublepost=1460244474,1460243864][/doublepost]On another note - I find it disturbing to read "We are lucky, because Microsoft graciously gives free Windows 10 licenses for all devices with the diagonal less than 10 inches."
Makes me think of a possible reason for MS to make this offer. Why do they want to get on everybody's communication devices? Stay the hell off my phone!

Seems to me the three devices sit along different points of a similar scale.

This should play PC games from a few years ago that were designed to be played using a pad well, including DRMed x86 games. Anything that uses the keyboard will be crippled. Most old games consoles can probably be emulated well as well.
The GPD Win should play slightly older games well, and be as useful as a computer from a few years back (battery life notwithstanding). As such it should be able to emulate 8- and 16- bit computers with a keyboard (assuming you can live with that keyboard).
The Pyra may not run as new PC games at least to begin with but it's probably the most usable ARM computer when it releases. The developer community suggests we'll get optimised releases of games and emulators sooner, and you won't have to worry about getting hacked as much as you would with either of the other devices.

@Djoga'Ro Looks nice. Very cool back lights effect in the video. Too bad they make so many compromises, like cursor keys that, well, are like Sinclair's... BUT... they are the same as the VI cursor keys...
Escape is weird there. I would not put it next to the tab. Escape like back destroys filled in forms or text you have been typing. Can not find home and end. Maybe they are the outer top keys?
I like the Microsoft Natural keyboard. It is a beast (too big/heavy) but you still have the numeric keypad which really help for fast number typing.
Nice to have extra keys around, like cmd... I wonder what that does.

edit @rygD nice page, reading through it.

Last edited:
Oh, so the Keyboardio is like a variation of an Ergodox. It is designed to be an heirloom keyboard, like a Model M, but prettier and gentler on your typing parts. Interesting. Looks like some things may be missing. You won't need a mouse, which is cool. $330...could be worse.

@FBnil On keyboard.io find "A key layout based on your fingers" - there's the layout.
I plan ordering it with blank key labels, get the neo 2 kb layout on it and have the backlighting give me a rough idea of where is what (by colour). That should be quite a challenge learning to type like that. :) But I think it'll pay off.
When it comes to layout, you can do what you want. Want a num pad? Put it on the right half in conjunction with the fn key (the lonely one beneath your thumbs root.)
It packs an Arduino. Don't know that exactly, but they keep on saying, that's why one can do as one wishes. Whatever, I want one. And if I can't handle it, I put it against the wall for nice illumination.

The Model M is made out of metal and plastic, just like those keyboards the keyboardio guys dismiss. You can still buy model M keyboards new if you want a buckling spring keyboard.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

But personally I've no experience of them, and have only ever used classic keyboard switches and membrane keyboards - and have only held on to cherry switched and alps switched boards.

I've never heard of these guys. Anyone know if they are reputable?

Also, In that video clip, the sticks pop up, kind of like pop up head lights. Is that just the animation or is that a planned feature?

I suppose they can have a basic keyboard on that second screen , with a key that changes the display to show punctuation then returns back to the basic letters screen. Doable.

Wait, $250 for those specs. I'm smelling a rat. Somethings not right here

Last edited:
@levi First and foremost I want to get away from a key arrangement that was a necessity with mechanical typewriters, but besides making those work just tries to break my fingers. I don't get why on computer keyboards they won't at least arrange the keys in straight columns.
[doublepost=1460249287,1460248921][/doublepost]
Anyone know if they are reputable?
I don't know, which is why I'll wait for reviews and the like. But they got me excited.
Edit: I see nothing popping up, but buttons after release. ?

Last edited:
The rake on keyboards is useful because I don't hold my forearms parallel when using a keyboard, and keeping my wrists straight that results in my hands hovering over the keyboard at an angle. If I were a classical touch-typist, I'd only need to extend or pull in my fingers to reach the QWER/ZXCV or UIOP/M<>? keys.

As is I'm a touch-typist, but not a classical one and I use my shoulders to move my hands all over the keyboard so I suspect I could probably use a straight-column keyboard about as well as a raked one. And of course, none of this applies to thumb keyboards.

@vcoleiro1 Didn't realize you were on topic. :)

@levi I'm not a touch typist, but I say it's because the keys aren't where my hands would like them to be - plus I lack the discipline to learn it inspite of this. I have to look at my keyboard not to see the layout (that I know), but to see where the key is exactly in relation to my fingertips. Never had that problem on gamepads - besides the Wii U main controller. :)

Back