PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

the most important questions first: will it have a built in fidget spinner and will I be able to connect my twiddler to that fidget interface?

Oh, so we do have have a fidget spinner thread.

Anyone have any recommendations for cheap ($15 or less) metal ones of decent quality (as in well balanced and not just glued together)?

Anyone have any recommendations for cheap ($15 or less) metal ones of decent quality (as in well balanced and not just glued together)?
I can recommend you a doctor for your focusing problem instead?

Reactions: ___
goddamn youngens with their hipster toys. when I was 16, we had yoyos to annoy other people, what happened to those? fidget spinner on a string!
*angry man yells at cloud*

So what's up with all those fidget spinners? Is that an American thing or did some weird trend completely pass by me again.

I do not recall ever having seen one in person, yet the internet was/is all over it.

So what's up with all those fidget spinners? Is that an American thing or did some weird trend completely pass by me again.

I do not recall ever having seen one in person, yet the internet was/is all over it.
I have seen some in public transit here in Germany and didn't understand what's so interesting about it either.
It's just some plastic with a ball bearing, right?

I have seen some in public transit here in Germany and didn't understand what's so interesting about it either.
Last year's craze was dropping a part-filled water bottle on the floor. Seriously. All the kids around here seemed to be doing it. #mustBeGettinOld #seriouslyOffTopic /mutter

They were invented as stim toys for kids with ADHD: it gives their body something to do while their mind tries to study. Then there was an article about them and they looked "cool" so everyone had to have one.

I can recommend you a doctor for your focusing problem instead?
And they would try to throws pills at me. Been there, done that, no thanks. I am fine as I am.

@rygD you could make your own?
I have seen ones like that. They don't appeal to me or work with how I use them. I do look for things to repurpose to make my own. Haven't rally found anything that would work well and be cheaper than just buying them.

Still, a smaller version of the one in the video might be fun to play with for a couple minutes, kinda like the puzzles I keep around (one of the two I have next two me looks like a bolt with a nut and washer, and is probably my favorite for keeping in my pocket, as I carried it with me for a couple years to fiddle with until I found a cheap decent spinner I liked...I also sometimes carry balls with me if I expect to be outside or somewhere that I can bounce it for a while).

goddamn youngens with their hipster toys. when I was 16, we had yoyos to annoy other people, what happened to those? fidget spinner on a string!
*angry man yells at cloud*
Pretty sure I am older than you.;) First person I discussed them with is about 15 years older than me, and he had two with him. I only had other toys, like knives, with me. I am told I shouldn't play with knives, but they have long worked well for me, and most of the time no one gets injured...

The spinner I carry with me actually uses a yoyo bearing (r188/size C) as do many of the others I look at. The biggest problem with a yoyo is it is a distraction to everyone. Won't work for me because I would actually need to pay more attention to what I am doing with it, not just bat it around with my fingers. A fidget spinner its almost like the reverse of a yoyo, with a spinning part in place of the string, and held by the edges. Instead of being thrown around where it can knock things over or hit people it can stay nicely in your hand...because all the "tricks" I have seen are lame as fuck. Yoyos are still some. I had some as a kid, just never really found then that entertaining. I had three links of rusty chain that I found in the early 00s that I carried around and messed with that were much better for me.

It is mostly a stupid fad, but I think there are some people they will actually be good for. They kinda seemed to get popular on the back of, and surpassed, the fidget cube (which I have a knock off of, that isn't rally for me, especially since I tend to make too much noise and irritate others with...I am less distracting when clicking and releasing my Shuttle Space Pen, which had the release on the side...found that in some gravel in 09 or so, and it is still my main pen because I like playing with it, it is durable, and often when I need to write dog while out I am using a wall it my thigh as a table, and normal pens give me trouble at those angles).

I have a could plastic ones, as do other family members, and mind got beat up and cracked. A couple (not mine) that were not carried also started to crack, and the main bearing in one of them keeps falling out now. I think they give most people something to do. Usually the only people I see with them in public are children. I almost always have mine in my hand hand if, say, I am shopping with someone who wants to spend a half hour looking at different varieties and brands of one thing. Or just whenever. But I don't make a big show of it, and an not really obvious. It is also a lot quieter than when I used to spin my keys. And, yeah, most are just plastic, some form of weight, and a central bearing with things to hold onto.

Last year's craze was dropping a part-filled water bottle on the floor. Seriously. All the kids around here seemed to be doing it. #mustBeGettinOld #seriouslyOffTopic /mutter
I frequently have a nalgene bottle, and I hate dropping it (I have broken the bottom out of one, and broken several tops). Not sure what would be entertaining about intentionally dropping a bottle. I'd it so they can get water everywhere?

They were invented as stim toys for kids with ADHD: it gives their body something to do while their mind tries to study. Then there was an article about them and they looked "cool" so everyone had to have one.
I have heard some say that it might have some therapeutic value, but I will wait for serious research on that before I believe it. I can see it, though. Is that what they were actually made for?

Yoyos have bearings? All the ones I had as a kid had a little hardwood post in the center that the string ran around which would allow the yoyo to slip for a few seconds. If new ones have bearing in them, no wonder people on t'internet are doing apparently (to me) impossible things with them.

@rygD that is interesting, how old are you exactly? I was born 1985.

The post was meant as a grandpa simpson reference.

regarding yoyos with ball bearings: I am not sure when these were invented, but simple ones have existed for a long time. I think the plastic ones with additional mechanics came about in the 80s, not sure about that.

I had knives to play with as a kid (and an adult) as well, my dad is a huge hiking nut and knife collector. naturally he passed on a lot of this to his sons and we were always the kids with the coolest knives in the neighbourhood, while others had swiss army knives, that break sooo easily with the flimsy blades.

Yoyos have bearings? All the ones I had as a kid had a little hardwood post in the center that the string ran around which would allow the yoyo to slip for a few seconds. If new ones have bearing in them, no wonder people on t'internet are doing apparently (to me) impossible things with them.
Depends on the type of yoyo you buy. A good decade ago, one of the guys I worked with was into doing yoyo tricks, so our boss went out and bought everyone in the team a yoyo, I don't think they were all "trick" ones though, but you could see the difference. Interestingly, I still have mine in my drawer despite several office moves, though mine's not a particularly advanced beast, but I was never very good anyway :)

Anyway, there's an amusing but pointless story for you...

@levi, I don't remember when they started selling the ones with bearings, but I think it was quite a while ago. I also feel it was in the 80s. As far as I know, cheap ones are still pretty basic, but some of the more expensive ones that are used for tricks have them.

@xnopasaranx, I am older than you. Specifics aren't important, but it is a number of years. Abe Simpson would probably love fidget spinners. Maybe we will see if they have an episode about them. Back when I was a kid we played with sticks. We used them to poke each other and things, and sometimes we threw them. We also had rocks.

I didn't have knives to play with as a kid, I had knives to use as the tools they are. I don't think I started playing with them until I was an adult and had extended periods of sitting around doing nothing with only whatever I had with me to keep me occupied. SAKs are great for when you don't have, or don't want to go get the proper tool, but have one in your pocket. They are definitely not great knives. They are, however, good multitools that helped popularize the concept (leading to the more rugged ones that weigh a ton, which is why I stick with my little red guys). I don't go with super expensive fancy knives, just ones that are pretty decent where I won't be too sad if I lose or destroy it. That is probably a lie. I probably would be sad about a couple of them for sentimental reasons.

@Caine, I am not significantly older than xnopasaranx, but frequently experience things that make me feel old. Like kids these days that don't just try things, instead looking up how to complete the most basic tasks. Other times I wonder how I am even a part of the same species as some humans I see. Then I do something idiotic.

I wish you guys would shut it with calling yourself old becuase you were born in the 80's. It makes me feel ancient. I was born in 69 before man landed on the moon. I'm sure I'm not oldest here - he says hopeing someone is actually older

My first console was a pong box which my mum bought new from the store. I remmeber in my early days, we didn't even have a TV. All we had was an old dodgy tube radio (without even a case) my dad kept in the cupboard that we listened to radio programs on. We later upgraded to a B&W TV , then eventually color.

I wish you guys would shut it with calling yourself old becuase you were born in the 80's. It makes me feel ancient. I was born in 69 before man landed on the moon. I'm sure I'm not oldest here - he says hopeing someone is actually older

My first console was a pong box which my mum bought new from the store. I remmeber in my early days, we didn't even have a TV. All we had was an old dodgy tube radio (without even a case) my dad kept in the cupboard that we listened to radio programs on. We later upgraded to a B&W TV , then eventually color.

LOL, I feel your pain. I'm not older, but just a few years younger having been born in "71". Our first console was one of those pong boxes as well, but honestly, I don't remember playing it all that much, as it only had a handful of game variations, which got rather boring, rather quick.

My first true step in to the gaming world came from my dad's Apple computer from the mid to late 70's. It was probably one of the last models made in their garage, or one of the first off the assembly line once Apple got one started. My mom and dad had recently divorced, so I only saw my dad on the weekends, but I can remember always wanting to see what new games he had, as they where always something different(2600 level quality). Which was a nice change from our same old pong games at home. They ran off of a cassette drive as well at the time, but I guess that was cutting edge tech at the time. LOL

Then at some point, my dad bought me and my sister an Apple II+, which gave me more access to games(with a sweet floppy drive), then I got my feet wet at the arcades, Nintendo G&W, and then finally a ColecoVision. Then it was all gaming, all the time and I haven't stopped since. LOL

Chris

Last edited:
Pretty sure age, as we are discussing it here, is a state of mind. I have always been old. I also refuse to get old.

I am only a few years older than xnopasaranx. I suppose it is the difference between being old and feeling old.

So...I am old for my age :( :D

Back