Phytium-based ARM PC

if somebody is interested in improving the driver issue with mainboard firmware(in practice based on EDKII), please send a private conversation to me.

@shouhuanxiaoji: what problems did you have with Debian vs Ubuntu? If you leave the kernel out of the equation both should run equally well. The ethernet port doesn't work with neither the normal Ubuntu or Debian kernel. Both run with the manually installed 4.19.90 kernel (including ethernet) but this kernel is ~two years old and misses many bugfix and security patches.
yeah, keypoint is the kernel, the upstream kernel lack of some driver in ARM part.

I just testet some TV Mediatheks: even if the Protectet still dont work, it plays everything that is not protectet, so the "Öffentlich Rechtliche" TV Mediatheks are working: ARD, ZDF, even the French German Cultur Brodcast ARTE ^^

So Disney, Amazon, Netflix Crunshyroll on Phone for now..

If you really want to have working DRM (widevine) support, your best bet I think would be to install the 32bit armhf version chromium (that requires multiarch). Google does not provide an arm64 widevine for linux to this day, but an armhf version exists. There is even a debian (raspbian) package available (http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/w/widevine/) that might work.

Well, i first have to find out how to install multiarch, if everything ditnt work, i could install a Windows Firefox and run it whit BOX86 and WIne.., i mean there is more then enough power for such a power wasting stuff..
For Music, i have now the Radio Bob Rockstream working, ditnt expect it works..

You need multiarch for box86 too.

See https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO#Usage for the official docs.

Basically you add the armhf architecture with "dpkg --add-architecture armhf" and then update the package index with "apt update".

Now you can install armhf packages alongside aarch64/arm64 by specifying the architecture manually. The armhf chromium version can then be installed with "apt install chromium:armhf". Be careful though to not accidently mess up your system by installing system packages with the wrong architecture. Libraries are ok, since that is the purpose of multiarch, but beware of other packages. chromium should work though.

I think I will have a look as far as I got time again, I’m happy that the main System runs now..
i allready made some test video whit Kazam, seems like I need a Noise Canceling Microphone or something because the Van is hearable in the Video as a Noise.. or I learn how to make my voice louder in the post processing..
i have to learn how to use Openshot anyway ^^

But the Microphone of my over 10 Year old Logitech Headset dosnt sound that Bad ^^

Ubuntu started out as far as I know as a derivative of debian that took patches more quickly, so was generally running on newer code. If the kenel is the same that limits the differences but there could still be differences in pulseaudio and systemd that ubuntu is running a newer version that helps performance.

Well, i think i dont want to make my Lets Play Projekt: Gameplay Videos on stuff that Runs whit Commentary, ok, but whit Farming Sim 2022 Out, and my not that much time i have i dont know where to fit several hours of post processing..
I will have a Farming Sim 2013 Unimog Projekt, but whitout Camera..
Also this Headset is quite Anoying for my Ears, when i play for myself, i would rather use my normal Musik Listen Headphones..
This isnt a general chancel, but dont expect something

I have the Libre Office Plugin "PDF Import" on my Pyra, but i ditnt found it in Synaptic on Phytian, is it gone on this Version?
And how to get ZOOM to work? I can remember there was a Linux Version on the Microsoft Side, but i dont know how,
On Windows, you would download an install exe, and execute it

So how to install stuff on Debian ARM?
Stuff that was found in Synaptic, Software and Updates, or the other Package Managers i have because i installed everything by exident was quite easy,

If im true to myself, im quite a Noob whit Linux still.. , everything on Terminal is just stuff i found on Internet and Copy Paste,

This might become an issue when i have to get Box86 and Wine..

And something different:
When i had to work in BIOS to get Debian to a stage where it boots automatically, i had to use my OLD Logithek USB Keyboard because the Cherry RGB ditnt work on BIOS Level or something , this is strange as when i made my first Linux On an OLD Siemens Tower PC, more than 11 Years ago (about the time when i came to the German GP2X Boards ) this Loghitech Keyboard ditnt work on BIOS Level and i had to use a PS2 Keyboard to scroll to the right Boot File (on Phytian is the first time i made anything in Grub..)..

Maybe the whatever extra channel the keyboard opens up to control it's RGBness is confusing the BIOS driver? I've never heard about that happening, but then RGB keyboard are a relatively new invention so maybe it is that. Yes, I knew about old PC BIOSes not talking USB and requiring a PS/2 keyboard, but thankfully that was even fixed before the old BIOSes finished and we switched to UEFI.

If you're looking to run a commerical bit of software like zoom, you won't find that in the default sources in debian by design. Go to the zoom website and there should be an option to download a deb file there, along with hopefully instructions on how to use it.

Thanks for my Internet recherche today, i found out that i only need the Deb File for Debian ARM64 , and just have to click on it ^^
Or thanks to Box86, i could also run a X86 Debian Zoom..

Its just because of the Beeceeper Meeting, which is held online this year, and they use Zoom, allthough i would rather have something which isnt Microsoft and more Opensource..

The Good thing is that whe dont need to speak on this Meeting, because this Noisy fan ^^

Thanks for my Internet recherche today, i found out that i only need the Deb File for Debian ARM64 , and just have to click on it ^^
Or thanks to Box86, i could also run a X86 Debian Zoom..

Its just because of the Beeceeper Meeting, which is held online this year, and they use Zoom, allthough i would rather have something which isnt Microsoft and more Opensource..

The Good thing is that whe dont need to speak on this Meeting, because this Noisy fan ^^
You can use x86_64 version of Zoom also, it's probably more up-to-date and should also work fine (even better maybe).

But first i have to copy your instructions in my Phythian Terminal, as im still on this damm lame Windows 10 Shop Counter PC ^^

Im quite happy whit my new ARM PC, ..

After switching on, the GPU fan is loud and rattling, the CPU fan is ok, not quiet, but ok. Is it possible to remove the GPU fan without removing the heatsink and put a narrow 40x40x10 fan on it? Probably need to cut a hole in the lid to get enough cooling capacity.

My two monitors are not recognised, both BenQ different models, so I have to borrow a monitor. I've had my hands on a few ARM devices, but this has never happened before.

Fortunately, I was able to log in via SSH and shut down the box that way.

My first attempt is very disappointing. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

Thomas

I would turn it on carefully after popping the lid and checking there's not a cable flapping around and fouling on the fan blades first myself. I've never had a fan make rattling noises without it personally.

Already open it and all cables are fine, no ones flapping around.

The inside of the system looks good, there is a second ram slot, which is nice.

Thomas

I had rattling yesterday, but only on start,..
It’s good that someone can change the RAM, allthought I don’t see why someone would need more than 16 gb
The 4 GB on the Pyra where allready Overkill, but this thing is pure overpowered ^^

Im confused anyway how this is possible: I have also Tower PC which weights maybe 20 kg, have 2 x 1,6 ghz, maybe 512 mb Ram or something.. and it’s as big as a Tower PC
this Phytian is the Size of a DVD Player, and the fastest Computer I have ..

@KidPaddle
I have (had) problems with one LG monitor too. After a few experiments, I narrowed it down to the refresh rate. Everything above 60Hz does not work. I have two 1080p and one 3440x1440 monitors. All three support max 60Hz, all three work. The one LG monitor, that does not work is a 144Hz monitor. As soon as I restict the refresh rate to 60 Hz (video= kernel parameter for booting, xrandr via ssh or a xpra shadow session for X11) it works. Either the GPU BIOS has a bug or the PCB design is not capable of more than 60Hz refresh rate.

@matzesu
The problem with your Logitech is, that this keyboard most likely has more than the two specified USB Interface Decriptors (for RGB). I have the same problem with my Unifying receivers, a Logitech RGB keyboard and a Razer keyboard. All have additional Interface Descriptors. A cheap server keyboard, that has only the two needed/specified works.

And people, please consider the following: This is a prototype system, not a fully released product (at least I think this is the case). The fans do not need to be silent, "unrattling", etc. in this case. You can tinker and make it silent (by removing the tiny fans and using a regular 120mm fan; I did it, it works perfectly; Yes, this most likely voids any warranty). Some of the problems might be fixable by a firmware update, some not. The system works well, when correctly configured. It definitely exceeds my initial expectations by a large margin.

@shouhuanxiaoji:
Did you test monitors with >60Hz refresh rate or any non "normal" keyboards (RGB, Wireless, etc.)?

The Keyboard who worked was the Loghitech, the Keyboard which only works after the Grub Screen is a Cherry ^^

Im happy that im back on the Phytian after beeing the whole day on this Work PC ^ ^
I also changed the GUI to Mate as this is the Same as the Pyra have, but strangly it have 2 Taskbars whyle the Pyra only got one..

it seems like power volt, power plug type have huge gap in different countries. Hm...
This is why most notebook PC manufacturers use a separate 'universal' switch-mode power supply that operates at any voltage between about 100 and 250 volts and frequencies between 45 and 65 Hz for input. The only different item delivered to different countries is the physical power cord, which has a country (or region) specific plug on it, and usually a standard connector on the other end. The standard connector is usually an IEC 60320 C7/C8 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C7/C8_coupler) if a protective ground connection is not required, or IEC60320 C5/C6 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C7/C8_coupler) if the protective ground is needed - possibly for RFI suppression.

C7 goes on the cable from the wall, C8 is the socket on the power supply where the cable is plugged in; or
C5 goes on the cable from the wall, C6 is the socket on the power supply where the cable is plugged in

For Europe, the most common plugs for connecting to the wall would be CEE 7/16 "Europlug" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#CEE_7/16_Alternative_II_"Europlug"_(Type_C)) with no ground connection; or CEE 7/7 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEE_7...ockets#CEE_7/7_plug_(compatible_with_E_and_F)) with ground.

The UK uses a different standard for wall plugs BS-1363-1 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_po..._Rewirable_and_non-rewirable_13_A_fused_plugs)

Alternatively, you could use USB power delivery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#USB_Power_Delivery), but it is not really popular yet.

And people, please consider the following: This is a prototype system, not a fully released product (at least I think this is the case). The fans do not need to be silent, "unrattling", etc. in this case. You can tinker and make it silent (by removing the tiny fans and using a regular 120mm fan; I did it, it works perfectly; Yes, this most likely voids any warranty). Some of the problems might be fixable by a firmware update, some not. The system works well, when correctly configured. It definitely exceeds my initial expectations by a large margin.
You are right, but it is disappointing for me when I cannot access it and have to organise additional hardware.

Is there a seriel interface?

Thomas

Back