Picodrive + Tearing Reduction Not Working

mhadf

Okay, so finally I have the Wiz.

And I've started to play around with it and I'm having problems with making a script for Picodrive to run without those diagonal lines.

So far, I've grabbed the Pollux_set file. and using the instructions from The Wiki and Here.

I've copied pollux_set into the PicoDrive directory.

I've altered the example q2.gpe from

#!/bin/sh
./pollux_set 'lcd_timings=397,1,37,277,341,0,17,337;dpc_clkdiv0=9;cpuclk=750;ram_timings=2,9,4,1,1,1,1'
./sdlquake2 +set vid_ref softsdl +set s_khz 22
#for a timedemo run add +set timedemo 1 +map demo1.dm2cd
/usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

to

#!/bin/sh
./pollux_set 'lcd_timings=397,1,37,277,341,0,17,337;dpc_clkdiv0=9;cpuclk=750;ram_timings=2,9,4,1,1,1,1'
./PicoDrive
#for a timedemo run add +set timedemo 1 +map demo1.dm2cd
/usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

I've saved it in Notepad++ after converting to Unix compatible first.

I've called it test1.gpe :D but when I run it nothing happens but it hanging on the Loading screen.

Where have I gone wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
For PicoDrive, use this:

#!/bin/sh
exec ./PicoDrive.gpe

If you are not going to play Sega CD games you can cut 'cpuclk=750;' part out to save battery.

Thanks notaz.
Works fantastic now.
Can't believe I forgot to put the .gpe on the end.

Hi, can someone send me the file that works this magic? Drop me a PM and I'll provide my email address...sorry to sound so lazy, but I'm at work can't install anything on these machines, not even Notepad++ :(

Ok. Download it here.

You also need the file pollux_set:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48575-wiz-ram-timings-test/

Regards,
Stephan

Brilliant, thanks!

However, it doesn't seem to have worked - although I may be doing something wrong.

I've coppied the pollux_dpc_set file and the PicoDrive_notear.gpe file to the root of the PicoDrive folder and opened the emulator by clicking the PicoDrive_notear.gpe file, but I'm still seeing tear. No improvement. :(

The game I'm testing it with is Strider.

Have I done something wrong?

pollux_dpc_set is a different file to pollux_set

Caught me out too.

Ahhhhh. I see.

You know what my next question is going to be...

Where can I get pollux_set?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm at work and can't surf around looking for this stuff :(

I think I've found it - in that zip file posted by Notaz (pollux_set_r1)

However, I'm still getting tearing in Strider, although it looks like it's not quite as bad as before.

Is it supposed to remove it completely, or just make it less noticeable?

From what I've seen just less noticeable. Some games more than others.

I believe notaz and others are looking for the cause and trying to fix it.

I do not understand which file I have to modify and how to ? I begin with picodrive and don't really understand how I could reduce this tearing

i've get the polux_set with makefile / pollux_set / pollux_set.c / pollux_set.h / README but what have I to do to make it run properly ? (I'm using notepad++, perhaps it is not the right editor to use ?)

someone to help a newbie ? :unsure:

For my money, I find that even after using the pollux_set, if you underclock Picodrive it will still tear.
The higher you clock the CPU, the less tearing you'll see.

Duddyroar said:
Just less noticeable. Proper port with complete fix is still coming, this port was done by someone from Korean community.

guilpau said:
I do not understand which file I have to modify and how to ? I begin with picodrive and don't really understand how I could reduce this tearing

i've get the polux_set with makefile / pollux_set / pollux_set.c / pollux_set.h / README but what have I to do to make it run properly ? (I'm using notepad++, perhaps it is not the right editor to use ?)

Just 3 things:

1. copy http://sbock.gmxhome.de/upload/PicoDrive_notear.gpe to PicoDrive folder
2. copy pollux_set from pollux_set_r1.zip to PicoDrive folder
3. run PicoDrive_notear.gpe from your Wiz. Done.

RupeeClock said:
Really? CPU clock shouldn't have any impact since it uses different PLL.

notaz said:
RupeeClock said:
Really? CPU clock shouldn't have any impact since it uses different PLL.

It shouldn't, but I'm noticing a big difference in tearing on Sonic 3 & Knuckles, when I clock between 400 mhz and 533 mhz.
But maybe it's just me... :\

notaz said:
Duddyroar said:
Just less noticeable. Proper port with complete fix is still coming, this port was done by someone from Korean community.

guilpau said:

Just 3 things:

1. copy http://sbock.gmxhome.de/upload/PicoDrive_notear.gpe to PicoDrive folder
2. copy pollux_set from pollux_set_r1.zip to PicoDrive folder
3. run PicoDrive_notear.gpe from your Wiz. Done.

Cool, I have to admit that in some games this fix works brilliantly.

Looking forward to the 'proper' solution. Keep up the good work!

Back