Beta Pidgin

Esn said:
What is the extent of the current NAND usage? Does it store everything there, or just some things?
It was for everything !!!!
But hopefully this is now fixed (I checked on vminko awesome vnc service).

While working with gtk stuff, g_get_home_dir is *not* your friend as it dont honor HOME variable but use the passwd definition through the standard function.
My fix for pidgin is this :
libpurple/util.c (in function purple_home_dir)
2458 //return g_get_home_dir();
2459 return g_getenv("HOME");

Download at the usual places ;)
If you want your profils to follow, move the directory .purple from your real home to the appdata directory

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubt the updates mean much, but I know Pidgin has been updated since the last (noted) pnd was released. Regardless, thanks for this as I'll be using it fairly often.

Rather than double post (before I'm certain at least) it seems like I can't log into any IM client with this version. I attempted gtalk (no dice), AIM (no dice), MSN Messenger (nope), and Yahoo! IM (no luck here). I'll try to test more tomorrow as I recall having connection issues with this in the past when so far away from my router.

So...no incoming updated pidgin? Hmm, thinking about it I need to work on my phrasing.

Korlithiel said:
So...no incoming updated pidgin? Hmm, thinking about it I need to work on my phrasing.
That's not a matter of working, but :
- I'm not using this,
- you said you'ld test more, I expected you to come back with result, but you didnt,
- the other feedback I have is : this PND works well,
- I do have tons of others projects ongoing,

So yeah no update of pidgin yet. More feedback on problems with protocols will probably make me get you the lastest version (2.7.10, you are using 2.7.7)

My Pandora died and had to be sent in, I apologize for not doing more to advertise that I was without one for over 4 months. As you may imagine I was rather disgruntled at the lengthy wait, especially since nearly a month was because OP opted for the cheapest return shipping possible as far as I can tell (a bit over 3 weeks in the mail from the day they alerted me it was already sent out).

I won't be testing further for now since none of the IM clients I use work. From what I can tell, all of the other feedback is rather dated. Since there is no new feedback (even so much as mentioning the updated versions of Pidgin) I can assume that either it is working well for others (potentially they just use it for other clients) or that it's so little used that the client issues haven't been noticed.

Anyways, thanks much for the response. Supposing a miracle happens and you get caught up on your other projects I hope in the future you find the time to release an updated version of Pidgin in .pnd form.

sebt3 said:
PND updated to 2.7.10 to see if the memory issue kloplop321 have is gone.

I propose the pidgin project porting/package be dropped, because even on ubuntu with the latest and debugging symbols through valgrind and just 10 messages between me and someone else..

I followed the instructions on http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/CHowTo/Valgrind to perform a valgrind on pidgin
==25840== LEAK SUMMARY:
==25840== definitely lost: 16,020 bytes in 318 blocks
==25840== indirectly lost: 27,971 bytes in 1,444 blocks
==25840== possibly lost: 2,616,543 bytes in 117,490 blocks
==25840== still reachable: 2,718,464 bytes in 44,626 blocks
==25840== suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

The possibly lost looks like it is mostly lost through gtk, hunspell issues, which seem to be all unrelated to the protocol used.
The possibly lost seems very close to what I'm seeing on the pandora by observing the deltas between the free command responses.

Do you think empathy would be a viable alternative? http://live.gnome.org/Empathy
It seems to be gathering more popularity, and it supports the same range of protocols.

Empathy looks like it would cover all of my needs fine, though I wonder how different it really is from Pidgin since it notes under current features: "Supports all protocols supported by Pidgin."

Heyas, me again. Seems the latest Pidgin works fine in my room.

I found it has the same issues as the old build from the livingroom, so I think it's just connection issues with my wireless network (having only half the bars for signal seems enough to not be able to even surf the web).

Anyways, regardless of how this turns out I'm as pleased as can be (since it is clearly not an issue with the program, but rather that my Pandora is worthless for wifi when not basically sitting on the router).

I prefer Empathy but till that becomes available or I find time to compile it myself, I will stick to Pidgin.

Esn said:
I see there's a new version of this on the Repo, but comments there are saying that it's crashy... is this a regression or was it like that before?
No, the new version just include an other module. pidgin havent been touched, so it is in the same state it was previously.

Back