PinePhone with keyboard

I like these kind of PDA's, I don't consider this to be a phone and the brand name does suggest this. It is a direct competitor to the cosmo communicator that I was also interested in.
Didn't buy it because there are too much quality issues with it and software has issues from what I have understood. Under these conditions the price is too high imo.
For a product like the Pyra that might be okay because you also pay for additional customer service and unique capabilities, but for a more mass produced device I want low price or a premium product.

Will keep an eye on this one, will be interesting what the price will be. If it is not too expensive combined with acceptable quality this might become my next 'phone'.

Yeah, it looks like a great form factor for me, although I'm not sure how practical it would be for actual daily use. Both parts need to be charged separately, and I feel it might be awkward when combined with touch / mouse control (these are also problems that aren't applicable to Pyra) - issues really stemming from an add-on feature that's not really integral to the original design.

That being said, I'm looking forward to, hopefully, getting one. Will be a fun toy at least.

Yeah, it looks like a great form factor for me, although I'm not sure how practical it would be for actual daily use. Both parts need to be charged separately, and I feel it might be awkward when combined with touch / mouse control (these are also problems that aren't applicable to Pyra) - issues really stemming from an add-on feature that's not really integral to the original design.

That being said, I'm looking forward to, hopefully, getting one. Will be a fun toy at least.

Oh, it is an add-on to an existing pinephone? I just skimmed through the headlines and thought it was a new complete product. Not a big fan of those and charging separately is indeed a hassle. Still if it is executed really well, I might be interested. At least it nice to see more keyboard products produced.

I thought they were planning a revision of the keyboard case to include a wireless charging coil such that you could wirelessly recharge both the keyboard and the phone at the same time?

I thought they were planning a revision of the keyboard case to include a wireless charging coil such that you could wirelessly recharge both the keyboard and the phone at the same time?
The wireless charger is a separate case/project, I thought...

The Qi wireless charging cover, on the other hand, should just work as soon as it’s available, since it doesn’t require any special software. Just pop off the standard cover, attach the wireless charging cover and you should be able to charge the PinePhone by placing it on any charger that supports the Qi standard.

Last edited:
The wireless charger is a separate case/project, I thought...

Ah yeah that’s right. Seems a bit silly not to include a Qi charging coil in the keyboard case though, particularly if its current design is inconvenient for recharging either the phone or the keyboard... :S Thanks for the website link, I hadn’t come across linuxsmartphones.com before!

Reactions: rSl
Further development - from megi's PinePhone Development Log .

And from the monthly update:

.....early feedback from the community indicated that many people would be interested in incorporating additional functionality into the keyboard. As a result of this, there is now a breakout header on the keyboard’s PCB, which will allow you to add LoRa and Qi wireless charging, and potentially also other peripherals in the future. However, due to the limited internal space inside the chassis, this will require soldering and as such is more of a nod towards hardware hackers rather than an end-user feature. In other words, we’re making it easy to add the functionality for those who are up-to-the-task.

And from July update:
....The first topic of the month’s agenda is the PinePhone keyboard, which I know many of you are eagerly awaiting. Those of you who read previous community update blog entries will already know that we created two prototype iterations and have been ironing out existing issues these past 3 months. We’re now at a stage where we incorporated most, if not all, developer feedback concerning the keyboard’s electronics, chassis (including fit and finish refinements) and fine-tuned the membrane responsible for the feel of keystrokes. There is now also a fully open firmware for the keyboard thanks to Megi, which I am happy to report will ship with the keyboard by default. As you can probably tell from the above, we’re very close to being production-ready. However, since we recognize the importance of this peripheral, we therefore also want to get it right from the get-go, and have decided to create a final set of pre-production review units (they ought to ship out in less than 2 weeks time).This will allow for any last-minute tweaks ot the end product if need be. Granted everything goes according to plan and no issues are found with these final pre-production units, we will start production immediately after receiving a green light from developers.............

recharge both the keyboard and the phone at the same time?
Ah yeah that’s right. Seems a bit silly not to include a Qi charging coil in the keyboard case though, particularly if its current design is inconvenient for recharging either the phone or the keyboard... :S Thanks for the website link, I hadn’t come across linuxsmartphones.com before!
Looks like it will be - only - possible to recharge both the keyboard *and* the PinePhone at the same time, via the keyboard’s USB-C port:
Though I still really hope that someone comes up with a wireless charging coil integration such that it becomes possible to wirelessly recharge both phone and keyboard at the same time...

And from the monthly update - it has entered production :cool:

I know many of you are waiting for news about the PinePhone/PinePhone Pro keyboard and add-on cases. Due to the PinePhone Pro’s launch, and all the preparations which lead up to today, I’ve had very little time to keep track of hardware and software developments. All I know is that the keyboard has finally entered production. I’ll take the next week or so to catch up on everything and write a concise follow-up blog post that will hopefully answer all your questions. I’ll also make sure to query developers about any major developments that have taken place in the past month. Keep an eye out for the post around October 30th

Should be available for purchase for ~$60 from next month, according to the latest PineTalk podcast (and since Lukasz Erecinski said to expect an update blog post about it ~30th October)

......The currently produced batch is a pilot run of sorts and should be available in the Pine Store in November. Minutes before posting this follow-up, I was told that the first units have been delivered. The price of the keyboard will be $49.95.
Christmas can come early :cool: :p&|a:

I almost regret backing the Astro Slider now.
Almost...
Mmm that does look pretty sweet and it has keyboard backlight, though Idk how easy it’ll be to change the key layout and mapping? I think I also prefer the protection the screen gets from a clamshell design.

Mmm that does look pretty sweet and it has keyboard backlight, though Idk how easy it’ll be to change the key layout and mapping? I think I also prefer the protection the screen gets from a clamshell design.
Sure, clamshell would have been great.
I could have purchased the older version from Planet Computers, which is clamshell.
However I wanted a 5G phone with no outdated technology inside.
It has an open bootloader, so I can install Ubuntu Touch on it as well.

Regarding keyboard:
It was the only phone out there which offered a German QWERTZ Keyboard layout.
No need to remap the buttons.
That is why I decided to back it.

EDIT:
My old Blackberry Priv has no ÄÖÜ which is not a problem most of the time because of auto correct but sometiles it's a pain.
Especially with German auto correction enabled and typing English text.

The phone is still functional, but looses contact with the SIM frequently which is a pain when calling.
Also it looses GPS often which is also a pain.
Astro Slider seems like a good upgrade to me after being happy with my Priv for almost 5 years now

Back