Pipe Sound To Tv

javaJake

Jacob Godserv
Website
myhumblecorner.wordpress.com
I thought, hey, what would be better for speakers than a commonly-found TV? It's perfect! If I go to a hotel, or wherever, and I want to hear my music in the whole room, I merely plug in my Pandora in. :)

Plausible? Doable? Opinions?

well, the audio out is on a 3.5mm jack, you can get a 3.5mm to 2x phono adaptor for next to nothing

Someone gave me a big box of old cables. I almost threw it out, but I ended up scavenging out some of the more unique cords I don't already have hanging around (like the cable you mentioned!!!).
Lucky! :)

parag0n said:
well, the audio out is on a 3.5mm jack, you can get a 3.5mm to 2x phono adaptor for next to nothing
Yes, but, can the headphone jack switch to Line-Out levels since both are at different volt levels.

Head-phone out are meant to drive speakers while Line-out outputs a constant voltage to an amp.
Maybe a DEV can make a usb sound card work if the Pandora can output line-out.

Last edited by a moderator:
For personal listening, it doesn't matter. Running a headphone output into a stereo RCA line input is standard practice.

But, we don't yet know exactly what's going to hang off the EXT port. ;) It could be an S-video+RCA cable like the GP2X's. If that's the case, the audio will be line level.

For professional/balanced audio output, a USB sound card will be required. All we need is a driver.

Does the Pandora board have the ability to increase the volts for line out?

Some sounds cards (like on my UMPC) have a software option to select line out or headphones on the same port. I would love the Pandora to have the same thing.

icurafu said:
Does the Pandora board have the ability to increase the volts for line out?

Some sounds cards (like on my UMPC) have a software option to select line out or headphones on the same port. I would love the Pandora to have the same thing.
I would too. That would be sweet. I wasn't aware of that feature, what UMPC do you have?

It's the Fujitsu U810. (or U1010 in the asia-pacific)

I think the soundcard is realtek, found integrated in 945GM motherboards. However, in a motherboard, there is enough room for as many audio ports as you desire.

You'd see a lot of audiophiles picking this thing up if it had Line Out capabilities without using some sort of funny dongle.

dual SDHC cards with 100 hours of batter, unlimited codec support, decent DAC, AND a proper non messy line out to plug into your portable amp is just plain pimp. All the guys at headfi.org would go nuts over this thing.

kingbuzzo said:
You'd see a lot of audiophiles picking this thing up if it had Line Out capabilities without using some sort of funny dongle.

dual SDHC cards with 100 hours of batter, unlimited codec support, decent DAC, AND a proper non messy line out to plug into your portable amp is just plain pimp. All the guys at headfi.org would go nuts over this thing.
The guys at head-fi wouldn't like it unless it was full of ERS paper and magic wood.

I got an email from MW but I hate quoting people from private emails, so I'll let him explain it if he wants it known.

In short, the Pandora sound kicks arse. ;) It will be able to be plugged directly into the TV and give very good sounding audio. :D

OK, I've caved in. I'll quote some of it. Sorry Michael.

"The headphone amplifier in the Pandora was chosen because it can drive speakers down to 8 ohms and also provide line levels at the 10k ohm range. The benefit of this chip is that as the impedance increases, the distortion and noise figures drop considerably, as does the corner frequency on the low end which means that the sound quality and frequency response are even better when plugging into another amplifier source.

The one thing you may not like is that the volume control is always active at speaker and line levels, but this does mean that you can increase the voltage on the line level to whatever matches your stereo, but it’s never just a fixed output. I have confirmed this works by plugging the Pandora into some powered computer speakers and it sounds fine." ... "It’s very impressive and I don’t even have the ability to use EQ functionality since it was just a basic driver written in u-boot."

:wub:

Tom` said:
kingbuzzo said:

The guys at head-fi wouldn't like it unless it was full of ERS paper and magic wood.

As a Head-Fi member I resent that <_<

Seriously though, Head-Fi has its fair share of snake-oil worshipping audiophiles, but the majority of users (including myself) aren't anything like that :)

I truly hope the headphone amp in the Pandora (along with the DAC) will sound great and be reasonably powerful. It would have been great if line-out was built-in (I'd love to use the Pandora with my external headphone amplifier, or hook it up to a speaker rig), but I guess I could try to get a USB DAC working instead :)

icurafu said:
I got an email from MW but I hate quoting people from private emails, so I'll let him explain it if he wants it known.

In short, the Pandora sound kicks arse. ;) It will be able to be plugged directly into the TV and give very good sounding audio. :D

OK, I've caved in. I'll quote some of it. Sorry Michael.

"The headphone amplifier in the Pandora was chosen because it can drive speakers down to 8 ohms and also provide line levels at the 10k ohm range. The benefit of this chip is that as the impedance increases, the distortion and noise figures drop considerably, as does the corner frequency on the low end which means that the sound quality and frequency response are even better when plugging into another amplifier source.

The one thing you may not like is that the volume control is always active at speaker and line levels, but this does mean that you can increase the voltage on the line level to whatever matches your stereo, but it’s never just a fixed output. I have confirmed this works by plugging the Pandora into some powered computer speakers and it sounds fine." ... "It’s very impressive and I don’t even have the ability to use EQ functionality since it was just a basic driver written in u-boot."
:wub:

so what does this mean exactly. Is it like the Cowon D2 where it just has a very clean headphone out? That's fine and all, but every amp will colour the sound to some degree, and that's what makes a proper lineout preferable. I'm sure I'm splitting hairs in the eyes of the general future Pandora owner here, but I do feel that this should be made clear. Thanks for passing on the info by the way. It's all pretty niche within niche, so I doubt anyone would have a problem with releasing such geeky info :p

I have a feeling I'll be using this thing with my M-Audio Transit

I resent this too. How is this not something for an audiophile to drool over. You'd be surprised at the amount of people on Headfi who use their psp as a source. This thing has potential. If the SOC doesn't support proper line out but has a relatively clean headphone out, then I guess that's fine. Not pimp.... but fine and above average.

I also think that quote refers to a D2 type internal amp, and not the possibility of a true line out. Which would have been a nice bonus.

But how the hell can anyone at headphi.org use a PSP for audio?!? I have one, and can back up outside reviews that it sounds weak and tinny at best. Not to mention that the stock audio player is archaic, competitive only with 10 year old mp3 players in interface. You can't have songs in a proper folder structure - they all have to be in one main folder. I also didn't find much improvement wth mp3light - the homebrew player. I'll have to go to headphi.org to investigate.

kingbuzzo said:
I resent this too. How is this not something for an audiophile to drool over. You'd be surprised at the amount of people on Headfi who use their psp as a source. This thing has potential. If the SOC doesn't support proper line out but has a relatively clean headphone out, then I guess that's fine. Not pimp.... but fine and above average.

Resent it all you want, the fact remains that the people who run the site encourage that kind of thing - that's why they prohibit all discussion of double-blind testing. ERS paper, wood blocks that improve sound, magic marker on CDs, feet that make your CD player sound better, $10,000 "jitter reduction" devices (when there are plenty of studies showing that people can't hear jitter until it reaches far higher levels than those found in a properly working player), not to mention ridiculous cables (no one has even attempted Randi's test yet), even digital audio cables. Anyone who suggests that it's all snake oil gets flamed and generally has their posts deleted eventually.

Back