Pirates Classic Remake

Would you like to see this happen?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

damnit... I have a bunch of graphics done, will upload them tommorrow as a complete set. I think I will also make a few other tile-sets for the borders so everyone can change the"skin"... that could be an option anyway, to make it possible for people to have their own skins. I think I will try and come up with a nice title screen, too if noone else is already working on that...

Yes, Pickle you understood quite well what I was trying to describe (at least I think so). We will see how it works out in the end. Thanks for the size dimensions, now I have something specific to work with.

EDIT: About the sprites... maybe we can ask somebody on the forum to render a few nice ships? shouldn`t be too hard, since we don`t need a lot of details, but in the end it would be nice if we didn`t have to borrow the sprites but had our own. I think there should be people capable of stuff like this here.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 20 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
damnit... I have a bunch of graphics done, will upload them tommorrow as a complete set. I think I will also make a few other tile-sets for the borders so everyone can change the"skin"... that could be an option anyway, to make it possible for people to have their own skins. I think I will try and come up with a nice title screen, too if noone else is already working on that...

Did i screw you up with the mistyped resolution?

Yes, Pickle you understood quite well what I was trying to describe (at least I think so). We will see how it works out in the end. Thanks for the size dimensions, now I have something specific to work with.

Cool.

EDIT: About the sprites... maybe we can ask somebody on the forum to render a few nice ships? shouldn`t be too hard, since we don`t need a lot of details, but in the end it would be nice if we didn`t have to borrow the sprites but had our own. I think there should be people capable of stuff like this here.

Yeah anything will work, the ships I took off the website are much better then than the thing i drew. But if we can find someone all the better.

Paulo Becker posted on Sep 20 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
I have a cousin who is pretty good with 3D stuff, I'll see if he's interested in rendering a ship we could use.

Let us know, what happens.

As for me, I will be gone this weekend. So I might not be heard from till monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this poll and post and voted yes. The original pirates is one of my all time favourite games, I had the the PC version back in the days of CGA graphics and came on a bootable disc (for protection I think). Many times I have thought about doing a remake but realised there is A LOT of work involved for just one person. Good luck with the remake, I will keep an eye on this post and see if I can help out somehow.

I saw reiners tilesets was already mentioned, it was the first place I would have suggested for some good placeholder sprites. Also you may want to check out http://www.dafont.com/ for some fonts, not all are free but you should find something there.

Alex. posted on Sep 15 2006 at 08:25 PM said:
I just wonder who and why anyone voted "no" :-\

- Alex
me, im happy with the megadrive version.

So im board and im thinking about trying (yea im new to this :p ) to make some land tiles. Any idea what size the land tiles should be?

EDIT: I started playing around and came up with this 36x36 sized tile.
tile36x36hw7.png

and here it is all linked together: http://www.silvir.com/tile.php?src=http://...ile36x36hw7.png

Talked to my cousin today, and he said that he'd be interested in trying do design some ships for us. Just not too soon, since he's currently busy with another project, but he said when he's finished with this one he'll see what he can do. I gave him a lot of design freedom, as in no need to use real references and such, unless he is short on ideas. I think this way he can come up with some unique designs :) So, as soon as he shows me anything, I'll be showing it to you guys.

well heres a little test island i made from my tiles. keep in mind this is very much a work in progress.
sampleem2.png

EDIT: updated with better grass and beach

@BadWolf: That looks kind of cute actually. A little cartoonish. I like it. Maybe there should be support for custom tilesets aswell, so that we can have a cartoon style and a realistic style for example.

The reason for it looking a little cartoonie is the crappie water color at the moment :). It maybe the shape a little as well. I plan to add some more detials to the water later.

also my spelling sucks anyway but that and my grammer seem to realy crap out when I post on a forum :/

Hehe this is the internet, man! We are used to people with way worse grammar and spelling, aren`t we?
Okay, here is a preview of my window tiles, though I need to get your feedback now. I think it looks not too well aligned because of the top corners and the bottom corners being differently shaped. Please tell me if it looks okay or what I should change.

preview.png

the tiles are each 25x25... I didn`t include tiles for a heading, as I figured I could add that later if we actually needed those.

Yo, pickle! Please tell me if I should put the tileset in one picture or if you want the tiles in single files. If you guys say the design is fine (I can polish it later anyway) I will upload the rest.

I have to say I didnt expect to read what I saw when I came back.

Bad Wolf:
First off the island tiles, to me seemed big at least from what i imagined. They would work for large areas, but might have a problem with the smaller islands. The example you have might by itself might take half the screen, which would make it hard to navigate. I think it might have to be 1/2 that size or smaller. The smaller the tiles the more realistic surface coastlines can be done. I have planned to run the original version to try and get an idea on what sizes were used the original, maybe I can today. I guess when you look at again try and imagine what it would actually look like on the screen. Good start though, you wouldnt want to see my placholders.

xnopasaranx:
Size looks good and it can easliy be expanded in any direction. Look like you have 10 tiles in there? I would prefer to have the tiles in one file anf they can be in one row left to right. I think I will have to play with it to see how it looks. I think the background color will make a difference with it too, have to be something dark to create a contrast with the yellow. One suggestion and I think you see it too, the bottom is a little small compared to the top, maybe a little more thinkness to the side and bottom, might make the proportions look better.

Paulo Becker
If your cousin does do something, pass this along: There a least should be a couple types of ships. The ships in the original of course get smaller from bigger. Although the smaller have different sails then the larger.
There should be a small ship with sails at an angle (dont know the term), something sloop'ish
There should be a large ship with broad sails, with mutiple masts, each are perpindicular to the hull, something Galleon'ish
There could be a smaller version of the galleon for mid range ship such as the merchantman,fast galleon.

Man that was lot, looks like I have a lot to do. Have patience with me as I try to do this as fast as time allows. Once I intergrate the graphics, I will try to throw out some screenshots.
Thanks to all, this is fun!

I played with some filters in gimp and i tried the cartoon one and I came up with this:

samplevk6.png

I think im going to keep it as a seperate set from the ones with out the black line unless it is liked more overall.

EDIT: cool i was looking for a reason to redo the tiles anyways :p i want to make it so that the land the waves and the water are seperate tiles. im not shure if i want to make the beach seperate though. Ill have to think on it. Im going to go with 16x16 tiles for the moment unless you see a reason other wise.

Also what do you think of animated waves?

EDIT2: Look animated waves in a 16x16 tile!
waveiw1.gif

I think im going to make the fall back smoother if going with gifs for animations is a good idea

okay, I can do that... I will make the bottom and sides a little thicker. It`s infact not 10 tiles. I just put it this way to make a preview possible. Every piece is 25x25 and there should be 8 of them. four in the corners and four for the bottom, side and top pieces. I think if you use a darker background for the windows it should look fine. I would eventually use a transparent windows if I were you. Would look cool with the border tiles. I can make them darker though.

xnopasaranx

I was counting the curly thing at the top corners as an additional piece, but anyway. Not sure what your meaning by transparent windows? The tiles themselves would be transparent to the background that was drawn first, did you have something else in mind?

BadWolf
Interested to see what you come up with for 16x16. I like the GIF, not sure if it will work in SDL.

BadWolf posted on Sep 24 2006 at 05:13 PM said:
waveiw1.gif

I think im going to make the fall back smoother if going with gifs for animations is a good idea
Cool, that looks pretty good. Any chance you could tile a few of them against a blue background to see how it would look like in the game?

Back