Pixeljam

Sugar_Kane

Could crush a grape
Hey fellas

I'm sure some of you are aware of pixeljam games. I recently emailed them regarding the possibility of converting their games for the pandora and maybe putting them on the store. They are flash based browser games, but they are developing a couple for the iPhone. I forwarded their response to Ed but I think he's really busy, so I wonder whether some of you knowledgable peeps might be able to answer their questions?

They asked:
what would we have to do to convert them?  can it play flash 9 / 10
files?  what if I compiled a linux application out of them? I have
zinc 3.0 that can create a linux executable from any flash file.  or
is it better suited to play SWFs directly?

I did explain that it was an arm processor...

Sugar_Kane said:
what would we have to do to convert them?  can it play flash 9 / 10
files?  what if I compiled a linux application out of them? I have
zinc 3.0 that can create a linux executable from any flash file.  or
is it better suited to play SWFs directly?
Unless Zinc can make ARM linux executables (which I'm reasonably certain it cannot) then that won't help.
We won't have flash 9/10 out of the box, it'll take some time to figure out a working solution. It'll probably happen eventually.
Gnash, however, we should have (not out of the box, but fairly quickly), which is fully SWF 7 compliant, with some 8 and 9. Try running it in Gnash, see if it works, if it does then no problem.
How are they converting it for iPhone? It has no flash or native support from Zinc either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last Flash (CS5) have an "Save as iPhone/iPod Touch app" function.
That way, adobe don't have to make a flash player for iPhone.

KodeIn said:
The last Flash (CS5) have an "Save as iPhone/iPod Touch app" function.
That way, adobe don't have to make a flash player for iPhone.
It was removed. Apple blocked that channel with their 4.0 upgrade.

KodeIn said:
They still advertise this function on their website.
Flash Pro CS5
Adobe gives up on flash for iPhone
They obviously haven't updated their own website since the press release they gave a month ago.
Apple updated their TOS to say they'd only accept applications that were written in a small set of languages, and ActionScript is not one of them.
It's possible they'll still keep it in CS5, but there is no way for anyone to use it to produce an iPhone application and release it on the app store.

I understand why Apple asked they remove that.
If I was them, I would prefer a true flash player plugin for my mobile devices.

KodeIn said:
I understand why Apple asked they remove that.
If I was them, I would prefer a true flash player plugin for my mobile devices.
I don't think you do understand.
Adobe said "Hey, we're making a flash player for the iPhone!"
Apple said "NO!"
Adobe said "Hey, you can compile your flash apps into iPhone native!"
Apple said "NO!"
Adobe wants to give the iPhone flash. Apple is doing everything in its power to keep Flash off the iPhone.

If adobe is so mad about making an ARM Flash port, they can start with making an optimized one for Pandora. At least they would be more welcome than onto the iPhone. :)
I don't like flash because it is still pretty hardware-hungry and unoptimized but until we have a better and faster alternative, we have to deal with Flash. Adobe says, Flash is already open and everybody can build a player, so I wonder where are all these ARM Flash Players? ^^

If there is the ability to convert flash games to iPhone apps, even though apple have binned the idea, I guess at least that means that it's possible to get them working on an arm processor. I wonder if adobe might consider working some magic for the arm crowd

Sorry about the outdated news then. :unsure:

Oh well, anyway I don't own an iPhone/iPod/iPad (and with a Pandora probably never will) so I really don't care about having flash on it.
And I didn't follow the whole Adobe/Apple clash about it.
All I can say is that the flash player for OSX is simply awful (crashing Safari and Firefox) and AIR is slow as hell.

Back