Planet Computers : Gemini - Psion Returns

If this thing actually makes it to market, I'll consider getting one. If they can get decent battery life at that size, I will be amazed.

maybe it's the PGS's fault, but pitch videos that avoid showing a working (aka stuff on the screen is happening after user input) prototype while the campaign description states that they have one creep me out a little.
aside from that (and the bump on the lid, ugh), nice little machine :D i'm happy that pocket pcs get some attention. maybe at some point people won't ask "hey, is that an old DS?" but rather "huh, what brand of pocket pc is that?" when i use my pandora in public :)

maybe at some point people won't ask "hey, is that an old DS?" but rather "huh, what brand of pocket pc is that?" when i use my pandora in public :)

I actually like the fact that people think it's an old DS, it's less likely to attract thieves and muggers. ;)

Looks like once again, most backers are from Japan. The GPD WIN, then the GPD Pocket now the Gemini.

As I said a little while ago, ED better get some marketing plan in place to advertise to the Japanese

oo, linux. maybe instead of a mouse, they only offer desktops which don't need mouse functionality (i3, ratpoison, etc.)

I actually like the fact that people think it's an old DS, it's less likely to attract thieves and muggers. ;)
okay, that's really more a pro than a con, but still... i want to show off my cool multi purpose machine and people treat it like the thing i store in the back of my gaming drawer (actual location of my old DS) :/

In my house I have a Desktop PC with a mechanical keyboard hooked up to a 24" monitor and a 46" TV.
That's not where I intend to use my Pyra.

I have used my SFTP (in my house) from across a country and across an ocean. It has TBs of stuff on it accessible on any of my computers, anywhere, at any time.

You are being a bit obtuse honestly.

You are being a bit obtuse honestly.
Oh really? Then maybe you can tell an obtuse guy like me how to access a remote server without any network connection.

Let me guess:
All you do is to commute from one warm room to another with constant access to electricity and internet. You've never been farther away from a landline or cellular net more than a few kilometers and "nature" is something you associate with (national) parks, commercial timberland and tourism.

If that's about right, I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

The Pyra's 3 USB ports + charging is a real killer feature in my book.

Don't forget also two SD slots :)

I could totally accept the lack of ports if one of those devices would have a dock that provides the additional USB ports, powers it and connects it to a monitor.
The main reason I was interested (and backed) the UBUNTU EDGE.

Price seems to be pretty good, especially for a non-Chinese firm. I (previous Psion Series 5 owner)really like that keyboard and I also like the dimensions of the device.

For now the GPD pocket is still my first choice though. Larger screen, Ubuntu support and will be created by a company that already has proven to be able to deliver (planet computers who are they?).

I was interested in the difference in size of these devices so looked it up (also compared with a pretty standard 7 inch tablet)

Eee PC 700 22.5 x 16.4 x 3.5 cm
Asus Memo Pad - 7 inch tablet 19.6 x 11.9 x 1.1 cm
GPD pocket 18.0 x 10.6 x 1.85 cm
Gemini PDA 17.1 x 8.0 x 1.35 cm
Pyra 13.9 x 8.7 x 3.2 cm
Pandora 14.0 × 8.3 × 2.9 cm
GPD Win 15.5 x 9.7 x 2.2 cm

[edit] added Pandora and Asus Memo Pad and Eee PC 700

Last edited:
Sounds like the keyboard design isn't really finalised, from that interview published today. The prototype they're using has the keyboard ripped out of an old S5MX, and the design in the photoshop mockup looks very reminscent of that.

Weirdly, I can't get the igg page to load at all well, even after enabling all my bells and whistles. I'm wondering what sort of campaign this is - it is one that protects your money if they don't reach the target, or do they get the money regardless?

They said you can boot Linux. How is that not a desktop experience?

Booting and running are 2 different things, as Linux is quoted as a 2nd OS it may not get a 100% working version.

This on the indiegogo page doesn't fill me with confidence either:

Technical Specifications*:

*We are working hard to achieve the above technical specifications for Gemini.

When further down they state:

"We have a fully functioning physical model of the device and have identified the mobile hardware platform that is based on the Mediatek Helio X25 processor and the Mali GPU."

When it rains, it pours...

After using the Pandora so extensively and getting accustomed to it, I'm these days undecided about which I prefer: A keyboard designed for thumb typing in your hands while you're standing up, lying down, etc. or a keyboard designed for use on a surface you're sitting or lying next to. Compared to the Psions, Palm devices (with graffiti) were totally liberating if you wanted to write something standing up. So were the old Ericsson phones, though they had issues with handwriting (the R380 was great... when it didn't crash...).

Judging from the photos this new Psion continues down that typing-on-a-surface route: Thumbing is simply not what it does, thus you probably find a surface to place it on before typing. One handed typing can also be tricky (or rather risky to the device, more often than not). The way the device is being held in the photos really just instantly takes you back to late 90s and early 2000s :). Especially the "lying on the sofa"-picture where the pinkies basically take the full weight of the device. That posture is just soooooo IT!-)

The Pandora works better in this regard - I often use it standing up or lying down. Having Fn and Shift in the triggers (forefingers) is also cool. It sits steadily in both of your hands. But the moment you start to actually type on a flat surface using more than thumbs it all breaks down a bit and thumbing can never be as fast as typing with 6 or even 8 fingers. After using the Pandora with 4 fingers (forefingers+thumbs) this long I definitely believe now that "2+2 is more than 5" (single hand while the other holds the device).

I must admit I hovered my mouse over the "Get this perk"-button for a time long enough to be downright scary this time!
If I didn't know about the Pyra, it would have been a done deal.
I hope I can resist until the best perk is gone.
The main issue here is lack of details when it comes to supporting linux. It is clearly a "bonus" instead of one of the primary features - that it also probably why the creators aren't too concerned about the lack of a pointer. Android doesn't support them that well anyways, so it's more important to have a 20+-point capacitive touchtoy layered with hard plastics as the display than a little red nub in the middle of the keys.

I'm always for more mobile devices.
$200.000 for a new device sounds quite cheap, do they not need to be totally funded or are they hoping to get millions even when asking a lower priced goal?
I myself would be cautious when getting an item like this, doesn't mean it isn't real but I get triggered when stuff sounds good but might be hard to finish.

Something about the Gemeni's physical dimensions pictured for this device don't add up. An 8000 mAh battery pack by itself is about the volume of the overall device. Throw in keyboard, processor, screen, case and you're closer to the thickness of a Pyra.

With these additional devices popping up, it would be a very good time for @EvilDragon and team to show a fully assembled (with heat provisions), running, Pyra prototype. I.e. show that it is very near to market and get some publicity rolling behind it. There hasn't been a news worthy article on it in a very long time. The Pyra has lost the news buzz. The best way to get it back would be demonstrating working hardware ready to go into production. Not that it should be rushed, but what is left to do?

Having more clam shell devices in the market should be interesting. The Pyra will get press coverage simply by getting included in spec comparison grids with the GPD Win, GPD Pocket and Gemeni. It won't look great in those comparisons though unless the grid includes check boxes for equipment and capabilities that the Pyra has that the others do not.

Back to the Gemeni, I like the overall concept. Inclusion of a microSD slot is a good step. The more standard typing keyboard is OK, but they're going to need a lot more labels to handle Linux desktop usage cases. Lack of a pointer control (trackpoint, nub, touchpad, trackball, other) is a substantial oversight. I seriously question if the stated dimensions are possible with the stated battery capacity. It looks a lot like the PGS campaigns where there isn't a working prototype and they haven't really figured out yet how to cram their 10 lbs of shtuff into their 5 lb bag. Pretty renders, aspirational dimensions, running a campaign for funding too early.

I'm both intrigued and skeptical even if the people making it have a track record.
Cause yeah
dxdxrjvrdl9ghzwlvfzi.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polymer-Li-...412503?hash=item2824761dd7:g:k8wAAOSwcLxYK96K
upload_2017-2-28_18-53-12.png

The full height of the device closed is 1.35cm, your average 8000mah battery seems to be 7.5mm thick.
So there's a 8000mah battery, where are they putting everything else?

a2xvmqvqf4v0ooozsrec.jpg

Not entirely sure what to think of this sketch.
Using different sized batteries don't really mesh.
Supercapacitors, really?

Back