Play Asia And Customs?

Damo

Still Fresh
Hi all,

May risk ordering an F200, cradle and PSU from Play Asia for delivery in the UK. What's the likelihood of getting it stopped by Customs? If so, what are the typical charges for about £130 of goods?

Thanks

Hiya

I just got my GP2X today from play-asia delivered by ups, I'm also in uk was charged £34.27 for customs so you will probably be charged around the same

Sez

sez said:
Hiya

I just got my GP2X today from play-asia delivered by ups, I'm also in uk was charged £34.27 for customs so you will probably be charged around the same

Sez

Yeah UPS suck big time they have a flat rate of about £12 for admin on customs charges too and thats only up to certain item value think over £100 they sting you big time

Last edited by a moderator:
Damo said:
Hmmm....no real savings then?

Doh!
Depends if Gordon Browns money thieves get their hands on it or not, it's a risk you take but I think they are getting more and more heavy on importing now

I live in Australia and I ordered and received a GP2X-F200 from play-asia at the start of November and there was no customs duty or GST. The total cost of the unit, including shipping, was $213.20 AUD.

If playasia mark it as a gift with a value of less than 15 (something like that, i can't remember exactly what the figure is) quid it's unlikely to be checked by customs, however, I don't think PlayAsia do that, it's in their terms and conditions somewhere I'm sure of it..

So basically, it probably will cost you 30 or so quid..

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...tyType=document

mmm I was thinking about this same very question today at work and was going to come on to ask. If anyone from canada has ordered from play asia, just wondering what charges on $100 for example. Thanks

I ordered mine about 1 month ago and chose SAL Economy Shipping.
The parcel not declared as a gift and with the full value, but still customs
didn't touch it, so I was lucky and didn't have to pay anything.

I would recommend using a standard means of shipping instead of
couriers. UPS and FEDEX do the customs stuff themselves and thus it
is sure that you will have to pay.

Thanks for the replies.

Looking at the Customs info it looks like I'd have to pay VAT but no duty (guessing it'd be classed a Palm PC or something like that).

If you use SAL delivery isn't there no insurance???

VAT on anything over £18 and import tax on anything over £7 (you would have to pay both in your case if declared correctly), they changed the prices earlier this year. Packages marked as a gift can also be charged now as customs finally caught onto that scam. Airmail still seems to be the best way to avoid charges but you will have to wait a bit longer for it to arrive as its a little slow.

I cant remember the prices off hand but I know some companies such as DHL do this for you and charge a fee for it on top of the customs charge. You might be right about getting it declared as a Palm computer, I remember reading that some items don't get charged import tax.

I was charged £34.95. UPS was the only delivery option. About £11 of the £35 was UPS duty handling charges.

Guyfawkes said:
VAT on anything over £18 and import tax on anything over £7
You pay VAT on anything over £18, yes (or £36 if it's declared as a gift). Duty is charged only if the amount of duty is over £7, not if the item itself is over £7.

Also, don't forget that many companies overseas fill in the customs forms incorrectly (eg. they say a $160 device is $30 on the customs forms). This sounds perfect, but in legal terms, this can mean complete loss of rights to the goods, so be careful what you ask for!

Well....I've ordered it via Play Asia. If it comes through I've saved £30 or so. If I'm charged customs I break even.

Damo said:
Well....I've ordered it via Play Asia. If it comes through I've saved £30 or so. If I'm charged customs I break even.
and if it gets confiscated at customs?

Squidge said:
Damo said:
and if it gets confiscated at customs?

Hoorah!

It arrived today. No one was in so wasn't signed for and no charges...seems to work fine too and better than my first.

Yay. Glad I risked trying another. Need more SD cards now!

Damo said:
No one was in so wasn't signed for and no charges
Uh-oh, I'd watch out if I were you, this happened with my DS when I imported one a few years back - no one was in so they dropped it off, but didn't leave any information about charges. A few months later, we were shocked to get a letter threatening bailiffs and legal action as we hadn't paid the charges which we were unaware of. Perhaps you should get in contact with the courier?

Barnaby said:
Damo said:
No one was in so wasn't signed for and no charges
Uh-oh, I'd watch out if I were you, this happened with my DS when I imported one a few years back - no one was in so they dropped it off, but didn't leave any information about charges. A few months later, we were shocked to get a letter threatening bailiffs and legal action as we hadn't paid the charges which we were unaware of. Perhaps you should get in contact with the courier?

I went for Airmail and not courier so normally it would be left at the Post Office.

Guess I will see. Would have thought they wouldn't have left it though.

You did the right thing, with Air Mail if your console arrived, you won't pay anything. Courier companies such as UPS or Fedex usually declare their shipments to the customs, they pay for you the VAT+the custom fees first, and send you the bill after.

Back