Uk Owners Of Gp2x

DBH

Website
nicholas.piresonline.com
Hi all im new here but have been lurkin about for awhile.

I have a quick question for the UK users of the GP2X really just to find out where you purchased the handheld device from as I am trying to get it as cheap as possible (im a student with no job give me a break ;)). I have looked all around and have found the cheapest place selling it to be play-asia and lik-sang.

My only gripe is they are out of UK and I might get slapped with a custom charge as I read a post on the ubuntu forums where some dude in manchester ordered from play-asia and got a £36 custom charge order when it arrived :blink: so as to avoid that I found a cheap EU site doing it for £113 inc delivery but was wondering if any of you guys and gals have ordered from non EU sites... like play-asia or lik-sang and didn't get charged customs taxes. Would appreciate the replies as Im itchin to order one but only at a respectable price.

Thanks.

I ordered my gp2x from play-asia with all the accessories and got hit with a £35 customs charge. But I kinda guessed that it was going to happen, so I did some sums beforehand and it still worked out cheaper than buying it from the uk (or anywhere in the EU that I could find).

GP2X from play-asia = $169.90
+ customs charge = $199.63
=> TOTAL Charge = £108

Incidentally, I ordered it early Monday morning and it arrived on the Thursday so shipping times aren't too long either.

Hope that helps!

You can order from places like play-asia or lik-sang, but if you have any problems, then don't forget you'll have to send it back which will wipe out all your savings and possibly more. Much easier to buy from within the UK and not have to worry about such things.

In the end though, it's all up to you of course.

I agree with xythen, I did the maths and to order from the UK was not worth it.

I ordered GP2x, Case, 1gb card, tv out lead, and power adapter.

I think in the end even with the £32 customs charge, it worked out that the TV lead, power, case where free when compaire to the UK price.

Got mine from Play-Asia as well.

Dont regreat for one minute paying what I guess (cant remember now) £140 ish for a weird one of console, been using it more than my psp !

You'll get it cheaper from outside the UK. But as Squidge says, if anything goes wrong (maybe less likely with the MK2s but I've had a couple of issues with my first edition MK1 which needed to be sent off to be fixed) they will not cover postage back to them. Nor, admittedly, do UK-based companies, but the difference is that it only costs about £2 to send inside the UK, whereas it casts about £20 or more to send abroad. At least, if you want it to get there any time soon.

Up to you though; it's probably not that big a risk, but it is a risk.

I done the calculations when I bought mine and decided that yes I might save a few pounds by buying it outside the UK but if it ever went wrong whilst under waranty the saving and extra time wouldn't be worth it, so for peace of mind I bought from gp2x.co.uk

As well as it being impossible for us in the UK to match prices in the east (vat , import taxes, minium wages etc.) try to consider we also support the scene and fund development and do a lot behind the scenes to keep the gp2x on track, buying from us(gp2x.co.uk), or ed (gp32x.de) or the Turkish distributor you will be supporting the scene and future development.

Thanks,

Craig

I had this same dilema, I am a poor student too but im glad I picked gp2x.co.uk! Like craig says they support the scene, Im not very technically minded so if anything goes wrond sending back will be easy and great costumer support.

I ordered mine a week ago and it didnt come for a while so I phoned up and it turned out that I had picked the wrong P&P option. They had emailed me about it so they could charge me extra for 24hr delivery, problem is I never got the email (dunno why, I still havent). So being the nice people they are they agreed to send it out that day with the extra postage free, despite the fact they had sent the email.

Now I am very gald I used them and very happy to recommend them!!

Does gp2x.co.uk stock the screen protectors?? I don't see it listed on the site as I want to get the GP2X,PSU,TV OUT cable, CASE and an extra screen protector but don't see it. Hmm will I need a card reader or can I access and transfer stuff by just using the card in the GP2X?

As well as it being impossible for us in the UK to match prices in the east (vat , import taxes, minium wages etc.) try to consider we also support the scene and fund development and do a lot behind the scenes to keep the gp2x on track, buying from us(gp2x.co.uk), or ed (gp32x.de) or the Turkish distributor you will be supporting the scene and future development.

Thanks,

Craig

I didn't really mind about the extra cost actually. The real reason I bought from play-asia was that all the accessories were (and still are) out of stock at gp2x.co.uk, and at the time I'd heard there were a lot of back orders and I wanted it asap.

I know you guys are doing a lot to support the scene, and I know everyone appreciates it.

Incidentally, I'll definately be buying Payback and Vektar when they become available! Any news on when that'll be? The site still just says "Shippng in June".

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,

Craig
I'm just glad you've finally started putting prices on as inclusive :), it's much easier to check the costs of things, and I used to stay away from gbax because of that.

Thanks,

Craig
yep bently's dont run on thin air you know ;)

seriously though, look at the "extra" dosh as an insurance policy in case theres a problem with your 2x.

Order from LikSang (£95 inc delivery rather than £130). Took a couple of days to come and I didn't have to pay any tax on it. Guess I was v.lucky. As has been said though, if it breaks then it's back to HongKong rather than wherever gp2x.co.uk is based.

Back